The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Some thoughts from tonight's roast.

I'm not sure about the machine roasters but with a manual pan roaster like mine there are certain things you can see and smell beyond just listening for the cracks. First the beans are green and have a somewhat sweet smell. The as they turn yellow over the heat you start to get a different note, still sweet but different, plus a little smokiness. The as they brown you get first crack and the smell mellows out to mostly the roasty smokiness. Then just before the second crack you can see the beans go through a significant increase in volume. This happens slowly during the whole roasting process but just before second crack it seems to accelerate. Then you get second crack and another, once again different smell that is now closer but not quite coffee.

Just some thoughts I had. Now here is my roast
20190415_212807.jpg

Here is the aftermath on the stove I had to clean
20190415_212825.jpg

And I bagged the can to see the off gas by morning
20190415_213745.jpg

Attachments

• 20190415_212807.jpg
    20190415_212807.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
Hard to argue those beans are anything but PERFECTLY roasted Kyle. I have smelled the smells you described, heaven....

I did a caffeine extraction lab When I was taking organic chemistry many moons ago. We extracted from coffee. Tea and cola. I think the cola ended up processing an easier to collect and larger amount but man I tell you, when the lab air was thick with boiling coffee my body sensed the caffeine in the air and I got jittery without drinking a drop. Ever since that lab I get the same antsy jitters whenever I smell roasting coffee or strong brewed coffee.

The bed pan roaster is interesting, I assume it keeps the mess contained?

So for those who are curious, This is where i get my beans. I normally do the sampler and he sends a pound of 5 different varieties he has on hand. It was also his videos that i learned from at first for roasting.

Yankee Prepper - Home

My consistent favorites from his offerings has generally been from costa rica but the Ethiopia is always good too. He also tends to send a small sample of his roasted coffee and sells pre ground coffee for making cold brew which i have tried and very much enjoy durring the summer.

Oh yeah. I’d be dead too. I think I may postpone my foray into roasting for a little while. I have access to lots of high quality roasted beans and while they are more expensive, I am only going through about a pound of coffee every four to six weeks as I’m the only one who drinks coffee regularly. My teenage son might join me for a cup every once in a while but that may be once every other week or so. I don’t want to die and if I made a mess like that accompanied by the lingering smell, I’d be more than dead.

Got in some beans from Colombia and had to do a roast. Did 8oz at a medium roast the previous was too dark. Hope this tastes good

At the very least it looks good. The Region and method of processing can also have a big effect on the flavor profile and even how they handle being roasted darker.

Last roast looks good Chad, great gift idea too. I got some of those bags awhile back and use them to store beans between roast and grind. I just write the type and date in sharpie then cross out the old and write new when I use the bag again.

I just got my 6 bean espresso blend from Temecula roasters, roasted some up yesterday and made an airopress cup today. I’m pretty impressed, definitely something i’ll Buy again.

...a very tasty rabbit hole indeed (let’s just pretend that doesn’t sound as bad as I think it does)

Had a GREAT cup (or two) of coffee this morning. I recently got 6 bean espresso blend that I roasted this weekend and ground up this morning. I am quite impressed with this blend ...enough that I will need to start experimenting with blends more.

Here is a short video of my monday morning coffee being made.

Back