The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

True espresso requires around 9 bars of pressure. I doubt you can get anywhere near that with an Aeropress. I've heard great things about them but have never felt the desire to try it. I'm happy with my french press. I once got into an argument with my mother in law when she saw that I had a Moka Pot. She kept referring to it as espresso. So I politely told her that it's not really espresso. It's just very strong coffee. She responds indignantly that "she and her friends used to sit around all the time drinking "espresso" from the Moka Pot. So I said, that's great, but that doesn't make it espresso. I tried to explain that at most you might get 4 bars of pressure from the Moka Pot. Espresso is around 9 bars. She looked at me like I'm crazy. That's when my wife (her daughter) and my son both stuck up for me and said that I know my coffee. Such is my relationship with my mother in law. I mean, how many people can actually say they threw their mother in law out of the house? I can. It doesn't matter that I had to eat crow and apologize a week later because I was wrong about what I threw her out over. But I still did it. No details though.

The Delonghi is 15 bars. So far I have to rank our stuff as
  1. Delonghi
  2. French Press
  3. moka pot
  4. Pour over
  5. Aero Press
  6. Old Fashioned Corningware percolator
  7. Mr. Coffee Thermal
  8. Lackland AFB ( LOL )

I was using an aero press for a few years and still love it. I really don't like the silt in my coffee so that's what made me change things up from a French press, plus the aero press is super packable. I got a mocha pot a couple Christmases ago and also enjoy that from time to time. I recently finally tried pour over and I'm currently hooked.

About 3 or 4 years ago I started to look for ways to get a really good cup of black coffee with the least bitterness what I found was you want at most a med-dark roast and as fresh as you can get... so I started roasting my own. I started with a heat gun in a SS bowl and had success. Now I have moved on to this:

I can do about a quarter pound of finished coffee per roast which lasts me a week or so as I'm the only coffee drinker at my house.

Thanks for posting the video. Very interesting. Not sure I have the patience for all that. But you never know if I'll get the roasting bug.

I agree a French Press is easier to use than a pour over. But the Pour Over does make a much better cup of coffee in my opinion. I use the Bodum Pour over. Not sure it is any different than what a Chemex makes or not...but man is it good!

Does that take paper filters or do you just use it as it is and simply wash it out?

I personally just use the mesh filter it comes with and just wash it out well after each use.

The only coffee maker I use a paper filter for is my regular old 14 cup Cuisinart and only when I am using cheaper coffee. No matter the method of how I make my coffee...if I use a really good bean...I won't use a paper filter.

Actually I have been reading up on coffee beans and mold and I am really trying to move to single estate beans as there is a less of a chance they have mold on them. But the amount of coffee I drink...man that is going to get really expensive!

I personally just use the mesh filter it comes with and just wash it out well after each use.

The only coffee maker I use a paper filter for is my regular old 14 cup Cuisinart and only when I am using cheaper coffee. No matter the method of how I make my coffee...if I use a really good bean...I won't use a paper filter.

Actually I have been reading up on coffee beans and mold and I am really trying to move to single estate beans as there is a less of a chance they have mold on them. But the amount of coffee I drink...man that is going to get really expensive!

Since I have the coffee bug, I am tempted to get one of those pour overs. My only issue is that I typically start my day with a couple cups of coffee but don't drink any more during the rest of the day. The pour over may be too large for my intended purpose. And I don't find myself making larger amounts of coffee for people. As it is, I maybe use only the bottom quarter of my french press for my 300 grams of water and 20 grams of coffee. But the Bodum looks great.

Since I have the coffee bug, I am tempted to get one of those pour overs. My only issue is that I typically start my day with a couple cups of coffee but don't drink any more during the rest of the day. The pour over may be too large for my intended purpose. And I don't find myself making larger amounts of coffee for people. As it is, I maybe use only the bottom quarter of my french press for my 300 grams of water and 20 grams of coffee. But the Bodum looks great.
The Bodum Pour Over is cheap enough. And you don't have to fill it up if you want a smaller amount. But I highly recommend it.

My pour over kit is the target brand one. It works great with paper or the metal filter it comes with and makes a solid 2 mugs of coffee. Pretty much perfect for me

The Bodum Pour Over is cheap enough. And you don't have to fill it up if you want a smaller amount. But I highly recommend it.
Agreed. Haven’t tried this particular model, but no need to make a full carafe if you don’t want. Just keep your ratios correct. Another option is the Hario V60–easy to make a single or several cups of coffee.

I current use paper filters in the Chemex. They seem to be of high quality. I always give them a hot water rinse as well to wash out any “paper flavor.” I am interested in one of the mesh filters, however. I’d imagine it’d result in more robust flavors, similar to a French press.

Ya'll need to stop this conversation before I ended up ordering stuff some Amazon I'll use twice and then put away.

Ya'll need to stop this conversation before I ended up ordering stuff some Amazon I'll use twice and then put away.

chemex-8-cup-coffee-maker_2.jpg

It can double as a wine decanter! 😂

Like the Vid Kyle do you source the Beans here locally? and if so where? Thanks

Currently i get them online but as i am getting low again i have been thinking of trying to see if we have a good local source.
Let me know, there are a few placed I have looked at one is one Campbell, but I cannot remember the name

Well Chris was kind enough to send me some green and my 1st attempt at Coffee roasting

Used the Cast Iron Skillet method, a bit uneven, but not bad for 1st time. Did a half cup which yielded 4 Lattes, as well as about 6 cups of regular coffee The Afficionado (Sharon) gave her stamp of approval, and we drank it all this moring, LOL Now I know why folks say there is a HUGE difference in flavor when you roast your own. I will probably try to get a different roaster as this is actually a dutch oven skillet and weighs a ton, but it is a good workout, LOL

Back