The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

I got to visit a local roastery this morning that also sells green coffee beans online. Their site is www.adventurecoffeeroasting.com and they have a pretty nice setup. Its run by a father and son and has apparently been around for about 14 years in some manner. They let me get a few pics to share so here is there shop.

One of their 2 basically identical roasters they are all electric I believe he said.
20190509_081205.jpg
20190509_081206.jpg

This is the afterburner to help clean up the smoke from roasting.
20190509_081221.jpg

The 5lb roaster they started with by roasting at farmers markets
20190509_081332.jpg

Their warehouse area
20190509_081908.jpg

And what I got today
20190509_082956.jpg

Well, my roaster is supposed to be delivered today. So I asked if we had a french press in the garage. I thought we did at one time. I got the "nooo?" with the tone of voice that communicated that she understood I would be buying one and not that thrilled with another rabbit hole. Guys, this first cup of coffee I serve her better be the best she's ever had!

Hey, so I need to let the beans rest a couple of days after roasting to use them?

Another practical question. One weekends, we tend to brew a whole pot that might get consumed over an hour or more. Obviously the intent with a french press is to make smaller patches that will be fresher than drank. But say you're brewing enough for a couple of cups, what do you do with the part you haven't poured yet to keep it warm? Do people brew it, then pour it into a carafe? Or really only brew what they are going to pour into mugs immediately and keep brewing batch after batch?

I have a keurig with a reusable filter so I can make a cup at a time. I also have a pour over set up, again best for a cup at a time. The French Press makes plenty of coffee for multiple cups but if rarely drink it all (such a waste). I have a thermos type carafe to keep coffee warm if I intend to serve many people OR I just brew using the drip machine and let the pot sit on the warmer plate.

I use french press. I typically drink alone so I'll make enough for 2 cups. My carafe is glass and I just put it on the table and let it sit while I consume the first cup. When I'm ready of the second cup it's still reasonably hot enough for me to enjoy it. If I were to make more than that resulting in a longer time for it to sit I would consider investing in one of those stainless thermal french presses which would keep the coffee piping hot for quite some time. I was eyeing this one but realized I don't really need it. But it is still sitting in my "cart" for when I change my mind.

I have a keurig with a reusable filter so I can make a cup at a time. I also have a pour over set up, again best for a cup at a time. The French Press makes plenty of coffee for multiple cups but if rarely drink it all (such a waste). I have a thermos type carafe to keep coffee warm if I intend to serve many people OR I just brew using the drip machine and let the pot sit on the warmer plate.

I also have one of those inserts so you can use your own coffee grinds instead of the k-cups. Yet I rarely use it. Does that make me bad? Definitely lazy. It just seems too much trouble to go through when I'm in a rush. Maybe I'll break it out again and see how I like it with my chosen coffee beans ground more fine.

Went out to dinner but got two roasts in as it was getting darker out. The first one I think will just be tossed. The 2nd is likely a light roast. I get worried I’m going too long because it smells like burnt popcorn and I’m going quite a bit longer than the preset time. But it also seems like I need a few more minutes. I have the heat set on low for about 2min then on high for what was around 8 I think.

You should note that if you are plugged into an extension cord the time needed will be a bit more than when plugged in to an outlet.
I’d also suggest you try the lighter roast too, especially as a wine lover. The lighter roasts may not taste like a dark roast but they have a lot of unexpected flavor.

One on the left is light for sure and honestly the one on the right is still lighter side of medium. Not a bad first outing. The big this is to listen to the coffee. That honestly tells you the most about where it is in the overall process. The difference in smells will come with experience and will always vary a bit based on beans, method and atmospheric conditions.

With the 2nd one I thought maybe I actually heard the 1st crack near the time of stopping it. It was louder than anything I’d heard up to that point, but I was worried about the time. So I guess doing it outside one can’t really go by the time at all?

Set the fan on high and the temp on high. Set it at 8.5 min and let her rip!

Back