The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

So my reading is getting more involved lately. I am still reading Clash of Kings. This one is definitely harder to get through, but still enjoyable. I am also listening to Brisngr on Audible. But am considering picking a Kindle reader. Not the tablet as I don't really want a tablet version but just the ereader might be nice. Anyone use one of these?

So my reading is getting more involved lately. I am still reading Clash of Kings. This one is definitely harder to get through, but still enjoyable. I am also listening to Brisngr on Audible. But am considering picking a Kindle reader. Not the tablet as I don't really want a tablet version but just the ereader might be nice. Anyone use one of these?

I just use the kindle app on my iPad.

I just use the kindle app on my iPad.

Doing that now, but I feel I get distracted to easily by all the other apps. Whereas if I just had the physical Kindle I would be less likely to play words with friends etc

Long time Kindle user (10 years or so). I've gone through 3 devices, but I've read over 100 books on my current one (Kindle Voyage). My wife, the in-laws, and my parents all use a version of the Paperwhite, which seems nice as well. I find the Kindle super easy to hold and carry around. The "page" is really nice on the eyes and seems like paper--it's a pretty easy transition from a traditional book. The back light is also nice for reading at night/in bed, particularly if your partner is sensitive to bright lights while trying to sleep. If you're buying books anyways (as opposed to borrowing from a library or something), then there is really nothing to lose.

Doing that now, but I feel I get distracted to easily by all the other apps. Whereas if I just had the physical Kindle I would be less likely to play words with friends etc
Yes, I'm less distracted while reading on my Kindle, as opposed to my ipad or phone.

Long time Kindle user (10 years or so). I've gone through 3 devices, but I've read over 100 books on my current one (Kindle Voyage). My wife, the in-laws, and my parents all use a version of the Paperwhite, which seems nice as well. I find the Kindle super easy to hold and carry around. The "page" is really nice on the eyes and seems like paper--it's a pretty easy transition from a traditional book. The back light is also nice for reading at night/in bed, particularly if your partner is sensitive to bright lights while trying to sleep. If you're buying books anyways (as opposed to borrowing from a library or something), then there is really nothing to lose.

Pretty much what John said. My wife and I both use a version of the PaperWhite. I have used phones and tablets with ereader apps and it just isn't the same. Too much glare and distractions with emails and apps constantly updating. My wife uses hers way more than I do as she reads about two to three books a week (four or five books if she is particularly interested in a series). I find that I actually read faster on my Kindle than if I read a bound book. I highly recommend it.

I had am early version of the Barnes & Noble Nook and it was ok. Worked fine and all, but I couldn’t make the adjustment from actual book to ereader/tablet. I read 2 of the GOT books on it and then put it down. I’d really like to make one work but I guess there’s something about holding a book and turning the pages.

I had am early version of the Barnes & Noble Nook and it was ok. Worked fine and all, but I couldn’t make the adjustment from actual book to ereader/tablet. I read 2 of the GOT books on it and then put it down. I’d really like to make one work but I guess there’s something about holding a book and turning the pages.
Yea I was like that too. Had an earlier Kindle, loved the storage of books, having it all at my finger tips, but not being able to flip tactile pages in real time was off for me...that and having to read a computer screen; even with paper white it felt like a computer screen. It didn’t see much use beyond a few novels sadly.

Now that school is over, I can return to reading for enjoyment rather than "marks," and so I am once more into Jordan's The Fires of Heaven (got stuck about 1/2-way through when this last semester started).

I actually won a nook color when they first came out. And hated it. I'm hoping the Kindle would be different

I never had one of the Nooks. And all I can say, as a guy who really liked feeling the pages and the holding a book...I really enjoy my Kindle. It's just so much easier on my eyes and like I said...I actually read faster. The ereaders that look like a computer screen with that "glossy" look will not do it for me. The only thing I can say is try to catch one on sale. Use it for a couple of weeks, and if you don't like it, send it back.

Making excellent progress with Great Expectations now, and it's become a real page turner at this point. I hope to finish it this week. On audio, I finished That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis (more on this book and the whole Space Trilogy in my Journal), and have moved on to Transcription by Kate Atkinson.

I (finally) finished The Fires of Heaven, book-5 in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. On to book-6, Lord of Chaos.
Oh man! I totally forgot about this series! I read through what was out when I was in high school, but he was slow at publishing, so I never finished the series. Has it been completed yet?

Yes, Jordan was hit by balefire in 2007, but Brandon Sanderson came in to finish the series using Jordan's notes and plotline.

Back