The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

The Tower of Swallows was a nice (relatively) fast paced read and now it's on to the final book in the official Witcher series, The Lady of the Lake.
View attachment 107161
Wowsa.... It took me over 3 whole months to read this book!! The main reason being that I did not enjoy it very much at all and somehow found other things to do that were more interesting. Things like financial podcasts, reading the news, shaving, sleeping, gardening, and cleaning my ears.

Still, there's the last book of the Witcher saga to read...Season of Storms, a collection of short stories ... We'll see how that plays out.
1687134423285.png

Wowsa.... It took me over 3 whole months to read this book!! The main reason being that I did not enjoy it very much at all and somehow found other things to do that were more interesting. Things like financial podcasts, reading the news, shaving, sleeping, gardening, and cleaning my ears.

Still, there's the last book of the Witcher saga to read...Season of Storms, a collection of short stories ... We'll see how that plays out.
View attachment 113320
All done with the Witcher stories. I thought SEASON OF STORMS was a collection of short stories but it is a story set in between the short stories of The Last Wish.

VERDICT (of the entire series): Happy I did not buy the books. Sometimes entertaining but very often leaning way too heavily into tropes and stereotypes.

BTW Thanks @Jaro1069 for the help sourcing the last two novels.

All done with the Witcher stories. I thought SEASON OF STORMS was a collection of short stories but it is a story set in between the short stories of The Last Wish.

VERDICT (of the entire series): Happy I did not buy the books. Sometimes entertaining but very often leaning way too heavily into tropes and stereotypes.

BTW Thanks @Jaro1069 for the help sourcing the last two novels.
No Problem.. I was just glad I was able to help out... Let me know if I can be of any further help in the future....

I just finished reading this novel:

91Dqzv36HoL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

It is geared towards the younger generation and I wanted to ensure that my son could read it, and also that it was approved. I actually quite enjoyed the book and am looking forward to him reading and then him and I discussing it. It does seem to be a series and the second book has already been ordered. But first I shall read a more adult book next.

In the middle of the third Parker novel, The Outfit:
1E058DD0-1F98-4245-91B1-DC9B31A8FD1B_1_201_a.jpeg
It's the third in a series:
293C2F48-B812-4D7E-BD0F-02588F1D5525_1_201_a.jpeg
Bottom book is a graphic novel of his first. This is the complete set, minus "The Outfit", which I'm currently reading. If unfamiliar with the lead character, Parker is a career criminal with a code of ethics. Books are in reverse order, with the last on top. Author: Richard Stark, a pseudonym for Donald Westlake. A number of his novels have been made into movies, including this one. Good stories.

After really dropping the ball on physically reading and relying primarily on audiobooks for the first third of the year or so, I'm back in the swing with actual books or Kindle. Books from the last couple of months:

1. Sea of Tranquility - Emily St. John Mandel
2. How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the FA Cup - JL Carr
3. Maximum Bob - Elmore Leonard
4. Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut

Of those, I'd say that Sea of Tranquility was most entertaining (and I highly recommend it), but Timequake was my favorite. I just love Vonnegut.

For audiobooks, I highly recommend Ubik by Philip K. Dick. That's some proper science fiction.

IMG_0339.jpeg
Dark novel about a woman who works at a company that must decide which videos are allowed to remain up on a social media platform. Not a must read, but definitely a window into a world I had not given much thought to before.

Die With Zero came in about a week ago and, attracted by the title, my wife grabbed it to read right away. Alas, she's still at page 14, so I picked it up around 1pm and just finished. The overall message in this ~200 pager is to think about what's important to you and spend your money on things you enjoy, while you can still enjoy them. I don't agree with everything in the book (well, duh!) but all in all, it's definitely worth a read.

VERDICT: Recommend
1688940949051.png

Die With Zero came in about a week ago and, attracted by the title, my wife grabbed it to read right away. Alas, she's still at page 14, so I picked it up around 1pm and just finished. The overall message in this ~200 pager is to think about what's important to you and spend your money on things you enjoy, while you can still enjoy them. I don't agree with everything in the book (well, duh!) but all in all, it's definitely worth a read.

VERDICT: Recommend
View attachment 114813
I'm a firm believer in that philosophy. However within reason. Have a nest egg, avoid debt, etc.

I hope as my parents executor they only leave enough for final expenses. They earned their wealth and I don't need it

Haven't been feeling well as of late, and have been being lazy, rereading some "comfort" books along with comfort food, lol. Lots of Robt. A. Heinlein.

Kinda like sitting down with an old friend and being comfortable in being still and silent, if that makes sense.

Just finished listening to the audiobook version of Trillions, which covers the history of creation of index funds and ETFs, the characters behind them, and potentially what the future might hold given the high % of company shares that index funds own.

VERDICT: Well worth a read/ listen
1690335577817.png

Back