The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

If you are looking for a book with a holiday theme, but like something a little more dark but less depressing than "It's a Wonderful Life." :ROFLMAO: Then check out "Krampus: The Yule Lord." by Brohm. It's a fun read and quite entertaining. A little different take on the whole western traditional Santa Clause thing. I highly recommend it. And don't forget to put your shoes and some schnapps outside your door on Krampusnacht (December 5th).

View attachment 99571
I thought by the cover it was a Gene Simmons memoir 😂

Book Recommendations

These aren’t books that I have read most recently - but wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread for highly recommended reads…..but here goes my current list of books that I think will have large appeal (Nothing is universal).

Non-Fiction
The End is Always Near (Author: Dan Carlin)
Dan Carlin is by far one of my favorite podcasters out there - my only complaint is that he takes so long to get content out - and I still haven’t after all these years figured out if his producer Ben is just a figment of his imagination. He has two podcasts - one on current affairs, Common Sense (as in Thomas Payne’s Common Sense)….and a history podcast Hardcore History.

It is the latter that his book would fall under - just well researched and I highly recommend getting the audiobook - just because he has a mannerism that keeps your interest piqued.
1672152713953.jpeg

The MVP Machine (Authors: Ben Lindbergh, Travis Sawchik)
I hesitated to put this on a list because Trevor Bauer is prevalent during the topic (he isn’t the main focus)…..but I find it fascinating the science and technology that goes into a game that is over 100 years old.

1672152888562.jpeg

1776 (Author: David McCollough)
The best author on History IMO - especially if you want to learn more about the founding of our country - this one is one of his best.

1672153042252.jpeg

Fiction

The Afghan (Author: Frederick Forsyth)
Guilty pleasure / spy novel recommendation - as good as Robert Ludlum - I really dig Frederick Forsyth’s storytelling abilities.

1672153287133.jpeg

A Thousand Splendid Suns (Author: Khaled Hosseini)

If you liked The Kite Runner, I think this one is even better.

Attachments

• 1672153390635.jpeg
    1672153390635.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Been a while since I've read something, as I have been catching up on some financial podcasts (yup, I'm still a geek).

Picked up this from the library today and hope to enjoy the series.
1672446025431.png

Finished reading this book a nice quick read with lots of info from St. Augustine.

20230105_070336.jpg

Also I can't remember who mentioned this, I listened to roughly the first 5 hours and can not get into this story. So now to find the recommendation thread.

Screenshot_20230105_070315.jpg

Finished "The Last Wish," 1st collection of short stories prequel to The Witcher series. Not bad at all. The use of potions and the world setting reminds me of an early 1990's RPG Dark Lands.

On to the 2nd prequel, another collection of short stories.
1673062324625.png

Just picked this up because it went on sale on Amazon. I had to have it because I’m Irish and if the main character’s name is really Detective Bunny - then I’m all in. Plus it looks like there are four books in this Trilogy (Douglas Adams would be proud 😂)

1673367261828.png

Just finished Sword of Destiny , the 2nd collection of short stories prequel to the main Witcher series. I was not impressed by the majority of the stories as they seem to have been written in an entirely different style that is much simpler and tra-la-la. Only in the final two stories, did the writing shift back to "normal." Alas, I am now on a 4-week wait list for the next book, Blood of Elves.

Blood of Elves, the first book in the main Witcher saga became available to me as an an ebook while I was on vacation. Just finished it and the writing style seems to fluctuate based on which characters are being written about.
1675298946119.png

All in all, it was an enjoyable read and now I have borrowed the next one in the series, The Time of Contempt, also in ebook format.
1675298900082.png

Back