The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Just finished reading Going Infinite, dealing the the rise and fall of Sam Bankman-Fried and FTX. Even though it took my only two days to read, it was one of the most unengaging books I have read in a very long time. The characters are all flat and the story is pretty much blah-blah-blah. If you want to spend some hours without learning anything, I would recommend binge watching Hallmark Christmas movies instead.

Verdict: Pass

unnamed.jpg

I read The Retirement Cafe Handbook in ebook format while on vacation. It is mostly all about the non-financial aspects of retirement, dwelling on the need for physical, social and mental health. A simple read that provides some useful insights for those approaching retirement or already in it.

VERDICT: Worth reading.
1702408175964.png

Just finished reading Same as Ever by Morgan Housel, and finished it in two sessions totalling around 4 hours, give or take. Much like his earlier book, The Psychology of Money, it's a very easy to read, smooth flowing experience and offers some illuminating insights on life and people. It's not a finance book, but I still like it nonetheless. 😜

Verdict: Highly Recommended
1703023346801.png

I picked up Straight Talk on Your Money yesterday from the library. It's by Doug Hoyes who runs the Debt Free in 30 podcast, which I listen to, so I had a good idea on what to expect. Hoyes is an insolvency trustee and presents things in a down to earth manner with self-deprecating sense of humour, and he does the same in the book.

He talks about 22 myths in personal finance and breaks each of them down for us to help us understand by common methodologies and everyday principles might actually be detrimental to our financial health. To his credit, he does re-emphasize that everyone's situation is different and once of the best things we can do is to educate ourselves. Written in 2017, this book still provides excellent insights.

Verdict: Highly Recommended

unnamed.jpg

Just finished this book. This is the second book I've read by Candace Millard and she is such an amazing story teller. She does such a good job telling these stories. I highly recommend her non-fiction stories.

20240101_111043.jpg

in the Middle of this.... Hey CERN be careful how you use the collider, you may not like what you discover, LOL. Great Read

Quantum Radio.jpg

How to Know a Person, The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen by political writer/commentator David Brooks is not the kind of book that I normally lose myself into. I first came to know Brooks as part of Friday night's PBS News Hour when he and Mark Shields would appear for a segment aptly called "Shields and Brooks." Go figure. My wife and I enjoyed the banter between these two very articulate and insightful men, and so I figured I would pick up Brooks' latest book after seeing an interview with him about it on TV.

This is not a political book at all; it is all about how to get to know people in more than the superficial way we tend to these days. It's also about the importance of doing so.

I must say that it has made me stop and think about some of the less than stellar moments of interactions I have had with friends over the past few years and how I need to remedy my sometimes too-quick commentary reactions. It has given me some insight into who I am as well, and hopefully provided me with the wherewithal to become a better person and friend.

Verdict: Must Read
unnamed.jpg

I think you would like it, Chad.
My reading list is rather long, but I did add the book to my kindle wishlist. I can't read as much each day as I'd like with raising the 3 kids, but I average at least 30 min a day. So I will eventually get to it.

I've taken Chad's recommendations before (and suffered for them), but Will Wilder: The Relic of Perilous Falls is a young adult cross of Indiana Jones and Percy Jackson. I've read much worse, but this was something easy to read without having to pay attention to details. I'm assuming Chad read it for his young'uns, but I'm not too sure, if ya know what I mean. 😉

In any event, it's better than peach whiskey.
View attachment 122112
I finished reading Will Wilder: The Lost Staff of Wonders, book two in the Will Wilder series. It continues in the same vein as the first book, with young Percy Jackson Will Wilder having to make decision on what's right vs what's tempting as he and his friends battle the forces of darkness. An easy read (it's young adult after all!) that should be good for a pre-teen. Now I am waiting on the library to order book-3.
Wilder2.jpg

I finished reading Will Wilder: The Lost Staff of Wonders, book two in the Will Wilder series. It continues in the same vein as the first book, with young Percy Jackson Will Wilder having to make decision on what's right vs what's tempting as he and his friends battle the forces of darkness. An easy read (it's young adult after all!) that should be good for a pre-teen. Now I am waiting on the library to order book-3.
View attachment 126331
My son loves the books. We read all 3 as you know. Right now we reading Charlie and The Chocolate Factory... Hope you've read that one.

Fred Vettese, a Canadian actuary, has published a third edition of Retirement Income for Life: Getting More Without Saving More. I have read (actually, more like devoured) each of the previous editions and was looking forward to seeing what changes and adjustments he made in this one.

By way of explanation, this is a book about how to draw down (or de-ccumulate) your savings during retirement to help ensure that you don't overspend and end up broke, and also how best to combine your savings with government programs. For us in Canada (which is THE focus of the book), this means managing your RRSP, TFSA, CPP and OAS. The US has similar programs with the 401K, IRA-ROTH, and Social Security, so most of the guidelines can be applied there as well with a few tweaks.

The biggest change I noticed was that he devoted much more time to discussing the human aspects of deferring CPP and OAS (US=Social Security), addressing people's fears of dying early and leaving money on the table, and other similar emotional decisions. In previous episodes, these things were mentioned but not discussed in enough detail.

It only took me only two days to read (not speed reading or page skimming), as the majority of the information is something that I already have a solid understanding of. I read finance books nowadays to try to tweak my understanding and perhaps gain additional perspectives on both the accumulation stages of life (investing while working) and the drawdowns that occur in retirement.

Verdict: Highly Recommend (especially for Canadians 50+)

Vettese.jpg

Back