The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Finished The High Window today. Man, Raymond Chandler is so good. Moving on to ‘Titus Groan,’ the first book in Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy. A contemporary of Tolkien, some say it rivals LOTR at the highest levels of fantasy writing. We shall see.
My college roommate read the Gormenghast trilogy on repeat. He'd finish book three, and then a week later start over. In the year I lived with him, he read the whole thing at least 6 times. It was sort of creepy. But that's at least one rave review I can pass along.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The last few I Finished
CIA UFO Papers -Dan Wright
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
Climb - Anatoli Boukareev
Left for Dead - Beck Weathers ( currently reading)

Just gave up on Ann Rice’s The Violin about halfway through. Wasn’t really into it at all. I may try to pick it back up again at some point.

For now I’ve settled into The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. A fictional story of a young girl living in a foster home in Nazi Germany during the late 30’s and 40’s.

I read a lot of Dale Browns books. He writes a lot of air force books. They are pretty good as he is a retired air force pilot. I've also read a lot of anne rice books but not as much after memnochn the devil. I have started Prince Lestat and the Realm of Atlantis which I think it's called or something like that..but haven't finished it yet.

I ended up putting down Titus Groan after only a few pages. This pandemic has made my brain feel like Swiss cheese, and I just don't feel like working very hard on something that's supposed to be enjoyable. I'll go back to it.

In the meantime, I did Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius by Terrance Dicks on audio (fun to listen to, read by Tom Baker, and faithful to the televised episodes which I just watched a few months ago). I'm now listening to SPQR by Mary Beard, a very good account of Ancient Rome. I am also slowly working my way through Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go.' He jumps from genre to genre in every book he writes, and this is his take on sci fi. For someone who won the Nobel Prize for Literature, his writing is very accessible and the stories are great.

Picked up two library books for my wife:
- Educated, Tara Westover
- Fear, Bob Woodward

I'll take a break from Wheel of Time and read Fear over the weekend. I read the wiki entry for Educated and have no interest in delving further into it.

Educated is unputdownable. My daughter got it for Christmas last year, disappeared to her room and came out for dinner having finished it. I did it on audio. Deeply disturbing on so many levels. It ain’t Where the Crawdads Sing.

Hmmm, so even for a chessbook junkie, you're saying to give it a go? :unsure:
Since I'm already deeply disturbed (or so they say, but who are "they" anyway?), this might start my road to normalcy!

Back