The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

If you want an interesting fast read, the "autobiography" of Alex Trebeck was really good. Informative. He was a LOT bigger philanthropist than I ever imagined.

@dkeester thank you very much for the recommendation of The Secret of the Rosary. I believe I will be joining/starting a Rosary Confraternity through my Knights Council.

Anyways here's the book I finished and the next book in queue

IMG_20201213_173921555_BURST001.jpg

Got a new book for my birthday. Pretty dang good so far.

Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival: Canterbury,  Dave: 9781440579776: Amazon.com: Books

I have a lot of knowledge in this area, but I find I can always learn something new from just about anything or anybody. This one has helped me refine some skills and affirmed that I'm on the right track in other areas.

I just finished this one. Very good.

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why: Gonzales, Laurence:  9780393326154: Amazon.com: Books

This dives into what makes survivors different from others. When a 16 year old girl hikes out of the jungle after a plane crash and all the adult survivors die, what got her to safety? What they are finding is a set of qualities that survivors possess. I've seen many of these qualities in soldiers, especially tier one operators. I found the "Why" portion of this book really interesting. You'll find out why humor plays a role and just what happens when the amygdala part of the brain plays a role in all of it. If you've ever spent time around operators, you'll hear humor like "Hey, do you think they have a sub or a hamburger over there, I'm really hungry" while they are taking heavy enemy fire. I won't spoil it for any interested, but well worth the money. I got mine thru a used book company for a few dollars.

anyone ever read the story of the russian Night Witches??? any of the books are about these women in russia in world war 2 who were bomber pilots against the germans......
Those women were a bunch of Bad @$$ women.. they basically flew bi planes (crop duster type planes) with no parachutes no radios or guns mounted in the planes.. they were given a map a compass and a pistol and a plane with bombs to terrorize the germans and they only flew at night.......

anyone ever read the story of the russian Night Witches??? any of the books are about these women in russia in world war 2 who were bomber pilots against the germans......
Those women were a bunch of Bad @$$ women.. they basically flew bi planes (crop duster type planes) with no parachutes no radios or guns mounted in the planes.. they were given a map a compass and a pistol and a plane with bombs to terrorize the germans and they only flew at night.......
I read a short article about them not long ago. Definitely some tough ladies!

Just finished The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Excellent read.

I had to take a break in the middle to read a book for work also. Winning With Accountability by Henry J Evans. A real page turner about, wait for it...being accountable. I can’t believe the company spent money to send a copy to every manager 🤦🏻‍♂️

This showed up at the house yesterday. So far I’ve only read the 13 page introduction, but it’s pretty good so far. The author makes a point right away to state the huge difference between the romanticized version of pirates in pop culture throughout the years, and what they really were. Should be a great read!

07753A92-1C10-4DB0-A3EF-CE67D7EA51E4.jpeg

For those of you that have audible and are in my camp of enjoying a good action book with one of the two best things to find in a story (snipers or submarines), I have one for you. You can get the whole series of Crash Dive books for 1 credit. That's 29 hours of listening! It follows a guy through his adventures on a WW2 submarine.

For those of you that have audible and are in my camp of enjoying a good action book with one of the two best things to find in a story (snipers or submarines), I have one for you. You can get the whole series of Crash Dive books for 1 credit. That's 29 hours of listening! It follows a guy through his adventures on a WW2 submarine.
Wow! I did this with Jeff Vandermeer’s Area X trilogy. It was a great value and saved me a couple of credits.

Back