The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

I've never gotten around to reading that series. Might have to check it out after i get through the books i have been waiting for that are about to drop.

Great series! Sadly never got around to the later books.

I started it with the first book back in 1991, naïvely assuming it would be a ttrilogy like every other LOTR wannabe. I stuck with it through all 14 books and the end was totally worth it.

I started when the first one came out in '90 and would reread the entire sequence as each new book came out. Then they started releasing every 2 years, then three and I decided to wait until the last was published before tackling it again. Now I'm going through the whole series and soon will be into books that I have not read before.

I've heard a lot for good things about those books. Perhaps when I'm done listening to the Ender series of books I'll listen to those

Not looking for a political discussion, I did just finish this and while I might have more questions after reading it, it really got me thinking about what truly is important to me when I vote come November.

IMG_20200624_171923119.jpg

I continue to be stalled in Moby Dick, but am determined to finish it. In the meantime, I have continued with the audiobooks. I finished Jeff Vandermeer’s Southern Reach trilogy, a good, eerie sci-fi thriller like Lost. Read The Ghost Brigades, the second book in John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War series. I liked it, but it wasn’t as good as the first book. I followed that up with Ann Patchett’s The Dutch House, which is set in Philly suburb where I lived for about 15 years. Guys, it’s outstanding and well worth the read. Currently, I’m a little more than halfway through Little Women, also very good and worth the read. Contrary to many guys’ opinions, it’s not a book just for girls.

It’s done. I just spent the last few hours and finished Moby Dick. It started promisingly enough at the beginning of lockdown, but it got bogged down in the oppressive situation. There is so much information in there just about the technical aspects of 1850’s whaling that it really got to be a slog. I’ve read that so much of it is a commentary on the human condition, that it is the greatest American novel ever written, if not the greatest ever. Maybe, maybe not. I’m sure the current situation really held blinders over my eyes to those aspects, and this is probably the worst time to tackle what most consider a masterpiece. Maybe I’ll try it again in the future when times are better. In any case, I’m glad I did it (the last 100 pages are really fantastic). As I write this, I’m feeling good for the first time in a long time. I accomplished something!

My audio reading continued at a slower pace (I usually do most of my audiobooks during my commute). I finished Little Women and a productivity book called Hyperfocus. I recommend Little Women, as everyone should read it.

What’s next? In hard copy, I’m deciding between Billy Phelan’s Greatest Game by William Kennedy and The Farthest Shore by Ursula Leguin. The first is book 2 in Kennedy’s Albany Cycle and the latter is book 3 in LeGuin’s Earthsea series. On audio, I’m waiting for delivery this week of Tana French’s In the Woods, from the library.

Don’t stop reading and listening, fellas. It’s a nice escape from real life right now.

Just finished Go Like Hell, and on to The Carrol Shelby Autobiography, then on Deck is Book two and three of the Embark Sci-Fi Series

In the middle of The Land of Terror by "Kenneth Robeson." It's a Doc Savage book, written by Lester Dent under a pseudonym. It's a ripping yarn. Pure Pulp fiction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just started listening to that one this morning
What I realized is the movie is about such a small section of the book. I went and re-watched the movie afterward and it was fun to fill in the blanks, but they took a HUGE amount of artistic license in the movie. After that listen to his Autobiography really worth it, although the narrator is a but quirky LOL

I loved those books - every last one of them - but so much happens over 14 books I could not tell you anything that happens in a particular book besides the first and last one. It may be the most intricate series ever written.

I have been reading The Farthest Shore, by Ursula LeGuin, Book 3 in her Earthsea. It’s a YA book, so a lot less taxing to read than Mr Melville was, but a great story nonetheless.

Just finished Peace Talks by Jim Butcher. It's the most recent installment of the Dresden files and all i can say is that i a SO glad the next book is only a couple months away!

Yet another Doc Savage twofer.
02c151d6efb2645ec9820569173f3f0c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back