The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Well Finished the Carol Shelby Autobography and now on to Book Two of the "Embark" Sci-fi Trilogy

I’m neck deep in Book 4 of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, ‘Wizard and Glass’ on audio. It’s only 27 hours long! The first one was a taut, nicely paced story, but they’ve gotten increasingly bloated as the series has gone on. It’s no Wheel of Time, though.

I’m neck deep in Book 4 of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, ‘Wizard and Glass’ on audio. It’s only 27 hours long! The first one was a taut, nicely paced story, but they’ve gotten increasingly bloated as the series has gone on. It’s no Wheel of Time, though.
The movie adaption was mildly interesting...haven’t bitten on the books yet!

I’m listening to The Space Race which is from Audible Studios. Meaning it’s not just a reading but more of a performance with added sounds and actual clips from radio transmissions and interviews. I think it’s worth it.

Today I finished Erebus by Michael Palin. It's the first biography of a ship that I've ever read. If you're only interested in the disappearance of the Franklin expedition, you can skip to chapter 14.

I’m listening to The Space Race which is from Audible Studios. Meaning it’s not just a reading but more of a performance with added sounds and actual clips from radio transmissions and interviews. I think it’s worth it.
I love reading about that era. Thanks for mentioning it, I have added it to my library.

Yesterday I finished Brain on Fire, about a young woman who suddenly got an auto-immune disease that attacked her brain. It was interesting but dragged on too long. It's too bad that authors often have a required word count for their book, instead of just writing it as it should be.

I finished Wizard and Glass last week. It was my least favorite if the 4 Dark Tower books so far, primarily because it filled in a bunch of back story for Roland, but actually hasn’t been all that necessary for the quest they’re on. I’ll keep reading, though.

Moved on to Gilead by Marilynne Robinson on audio, which is ironic since Gilead is a central place in the Dark Tower series, and it’s whiplashingly different from Stephen King.

I am also slowly reading William Trevor’s Last Stories. Wonderful writing but so sad. Not great for plague reading.

Had a relaxing day of readingIMG_20200830_193455588.jpg

Finished the book on the top which is great prequel to The Hunger Game trilogy if you enjoyed that series.

Starting the book on the bottom.

Right now I'm almost halfway through The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I hope it gets better because it's been quite boring so far.

Recently finished The Last Trial by Scott Turow. I haven’t read one of his books in many years as I became bored with the lawyer books, but this was a very good. The plot line was interesting and the trial scenes were pretty accurate from a legal standpoint. Highly recommended if you like this genre. IMG_0483.jpg

Also, just finished Private Cathedral by James Lee Burke and The Hollow Ones by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Private Cathedral is a crime novel mixed with superstition set Louisiana. I believe this is the 23rd book with main character, Dave Robicheaux. I did not read any of the earlier novels. This one was a bit far fetched but mildly entertaining.

The Hollow Ones is the first of three in the series. The story reminded me of the Preston and Childs series with Agent Pendergast. It was a good, quick read.IMG_0484.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finished William Trevor’s Last Stories and have moved on to Raymond Chandler’s The High Window. It was his third novel and is just sooooo good. Philip Marlowe is one of the great literary characters for a good reason (a great writer).

Finished The High Window today. Man, Raymond Chandler is so good. Moving on to ‘Titus Groan,’ the first book in Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy. A contemporary of Tolkien, some say it rivals LOTR at the highest levels of fantasy writing. We shall see.

Back