The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

After not reading for much on Sunday, I finished Fear yesterday evening. This is my first read of anything by Woodward and not sure if this is his journalistic writing style or not, but the book read easily but was rather dull, offering little insights into motivation but instead providing detailed accounts of short glimpses into various meetings. Think of it like a Frontline or 60 Minutes documentary report without any voice-over by a narrator.

Not sure that I will pick up anything else by him to read from the library as I gained little, if any, new understanding of events or people and was not captivated by the writing style.

@bosch have you read/followed the first one? My take on investing and retirement planing is that if you have a DB-pension or other sources of fixed retirement income (if they're indexed, that's even better!), then bond investment can be heavily reduced.

BTW... This is just discussion, not actual financial planning advice. Beyond body temperature, I don't even have a degree.

@bosch have you read/followed the first one? My take on investing and retirement planing is that if you have a DB-pension or other sources of fixed retirement income (if they're indexed, that's even better!), then bond investment can be heavily reduced.

BTW... This is just discussion, not actual financial planning advice. Beyond body temperature, I don't even have a degree.

@woodpusher (y) I have read the first Coffeehouse Investor. Agree with your understanding. And, even better, Jack Bogle the founder of Vanguard has espoused the same in his writings. I'd say that's pretty good company for us mere mortals.

Separate item, I ended up buying 2 of the vinyl roll up regulation size chess boards w/ triple weighted pieces from Staunton. 1 for my son and 1 for me. Very pleased with the product and customer experience!! Thanks for getting me set up. (y)

I finished reading Educated just now. I really like the author's writing style; it is easy flowing and quite natural. I'd recommend it, but the subjects covered might not be to everyone's liking.

Back to Jordan's The Wheel of Time series.

Anxiously looking forward to your review

Keychain-Light-up-anim-wide-withKeys.gif

On the long car ride to the border of the Great White North this week, I finished SPQR on audio, Mary Beard’s abbreviated history of ancient Rome. In the hotel, I finished reading Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go. I really enjoyed both books (loved NLMG, if I’m honest), though the Ishiguro is devastatingly sad. His books are so readable, especially for a winner of the Nobel Prize, but man, the layers built into the story. That’s why he won it.

Moving on to Asimov’s Foundation on audio, and The Tolkien Reader, if only for his epic poem of Tom Bombadil. I last read parts of it for a class in college.

Back