The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin.
Also is a graphic novel, some say the greatest ever. It's one of those "otherworld" type novels, basic premise is what would happen if Superman said "I'm out, you all are on your own", and a newer generation of super powered beings came into power. A less moral generation.

New Spring is great. I read the whole WoT series as it came out. Lots of pages in that story. HBO could do wonders with that like they did with GoT.
Yah I'm on book 7 of wheel of time. I've attempted to read through it a few times over the years and never finished, almost got burned out/lost interest. And you know Amazon is making a wheel of time TV adaptation right? Already casted and was going to start filming before all this virus chaos started.

I have read these in the past and will no doubt reread them in the future:
Ayn Rand
Mickey Spillane
Tarzan by Burroughs
Doc Savage
Philip Jose Farmer does an excellent rendition of Tarzan and Savage, under different names of course.

I'm in the middle of one book and multiple audiobooks haha. I used to drive a lot for work and would get through a book a week year round. Not anymore. Book is New Spring by Robert Jordan. Audiobooks are Last Wish, Gideon the Ninth, Lies of Locke Lamora and The Burning White
I loved The Burning White! Have you read the Night Angel Trilogy? It sounds like Brent is going to be revisiting that universe very soon.

My wife and i have begun rereading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Last book came out in 2014 and the release date for book 15 was announced for June and book 16 in August. I guess it was all 1 manuscript but the publisher wanted it split into 2 books. The author agreed as long as both came out in the same year.

I loved The Burning White! Have you read the Night Angel Trilogy? It sounds like Brent is going to be revisiting that universe very soon.

My wife and i have begun rereading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Last book came out in 2014 and the release date for book 15 was announced for June and book 16 in August. I guess it was all 1 manuscript but the publisher wanted it split into 2 books. The author agreed as long as both came out in the same year.
Oh man we have a lot of reading tastes in common. Absolutely loved Night Angel, I actually prefer it to Lightbringer I think even though common consensus seems to be that it's vastly inferior.

And The Dresden Files is definitely my most re-read fantasy series, probably have read them all a half dozen times. And I have Peace Talks preordered on audible, very happy there will be a second book coming this year. Just watched Daniel Greene's long interview with Jim Butcher on YouTube where he talks about it.

Have you tried out the Iron Druid Chronicles? It's the only urban fantasy series I've tried out that I enjoy as much as Dresden. Anyway yah I'm a huge fantasy fan in general.

Oh man we have a lot of reading tastes in common. Absolutely loved Night Angel, I actually prefer it to Lightbringer I think even though common consensus seems to be that it's vastly inferior.

And The Dresden Files is definitely my most re-read fantasy series, probably have read them all a half dozen times. And I have Peace Talks preordered on audible, very happy there will be a second book coming this year. Just watched Daniel Greene's long interview with Jim Butcher on YouTube where he talks about it.

Have you tried out the Iron Druid Chronicles? It's the only urban fantasy series I've tried out that I enjoy as much as Dresden. Anyway yah I'm a huge fantasy fan in general.
I also prefer Night Angel overall but i still enjoyed Lightbringer more and more as it went on.

I will have to check out the Iron Druid Chronicles.

There is a company called Graphic Audio that takes books and does full audio production with them. different voice actors for each major character, music sound FX. they did a fantastic Job with Night Angel. I was given the full trilogy by them as a gift from a friend. It's pretty epic.

Agatha Christie’s “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” is considered by some to be the greatest mystery ever written.
Downloaded and starting to listen while I wait for my breakfast burrito

Yah I'm on book 7 of wheel of time. I've attempted to read through it a few times over the years and never finished, almost got burned out/lost interest. And you know Amazon is making a wheel of time TV adaptation right? Already casted and was going to start filming before all this virus chaos started.

I did not know that but am very interested and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

Honestly, I had only heard of one of the actors, but I will watch it. I hope they don't do to it what others have done to the Shannara books and Magicians series. I really, really hate the tv version of The Magicians.

Finished the Marian Consecration last night. And with our current situation the last chapter literally brought tears to my eyes.

Starting the other book tonight.

IMG_20200401_174230117.jpg

Right now I'm making my way through the audiobook of "Because Internet". It explains how language has changed in the internet age. It's pretty good so far.
Meh. It started out interesting but was quite a slog to get through. It's more about the evolution of how people use the internet than about language. I did learn a few useful facts, though, like how using a period at the end of a sentence when texting is often interpreted as you being annoyed or passive-aggressive.

I've also just finished "Alone on the Ice", the story of Douglas Mawson and the Australasian Antarctic Expedition. It's quite good but suffers from an anticlimactic ending and boring epilogue. It's not as good as Shackleton's "South", but still a riveting story of survival.

Now I've started Michael Palin's "North Korea Journal". He's one of my favorite writers. I have all of his travel books.

Last edited:
As some of you know, my quarantine reading project has been Moby Dick. It is one of my grail reads and before starting it, I was really looking forward to reading it. Quarantine being what it is, I’ve had a hard time reading anything right now. Nevertheless, I still have managed to make it about 2/3 of the way through. I won’t lie...it’s been a tough read.

Until today! Our cat threw up on it! This must be some sort of sign. I refuse to read a vomited-on book, so I pitched it and ordered a new one, but it’s going to be at least a week before I’m at it again.

Back