The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Has anyone read/listened to much of Patrick O'Brian's Captain and Commander series (Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin)? I'm in the middle of the 2nd on audio right now, and am enjoying it. It's incredibly detailed on the lives of early 1800's British navy men, but they mix in a lot of action, too.

No, but adding to my queue.

I have been listening to the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card lately. Really enjoying this series more as an adult then I did as a kid. Once into the later books they are actually pretty philosophical

No, but adding to my queue.

I have been listening to the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card lately. Really enjoying this series more as an adult then I did as a kid. Once into the later books they are actually pretty philosophical

Ender's Game is on my list for next year, as I've never read it. I just did Ready Player One a few weeks ago, and highly recommend it.

Ender's Game is on my list for next year, as I've never read it. I just did Ready Player One a few weeks ago, and highly recommend it.

Ready Player one is excellent!

As to the Ender series. The Speaker for the Dead is an EXCELLENT BOOK! IT is technically book 2. But Orson Scott Card had actually written it first, and then decided he needed to release Ender's Game first in order to set up the story better. They are pretty quick listens too.

The entire Enders Game series is pretty awesome. I haven't read the secondary series that follows one of the other characters(i think its called Enders shadow or something) but my wife says it is also really good.

I just started John Scalzi's End of All Things. It's been years since I read the first five books in this series, but the story line is coming back to me, . . . slowly . . . .

I just started John Scalzi's End of All Things. It's been years since I read the first five books in this series, but the story line is coming back to me, . . . slowly . . . .

I read Old Man’s War earlier this year and loved it.

I just can't get into a book right now. Been trying but no luck. Still listening on audible though. But would like a good reading book, for when drinking coffee in the morning. Any recommendations?

I just can't get into a book right now. Been trying but no luck. Still listening on audible though. But would like a good reading book, for when drinking coffee in the morning. Any recommendations?
I liked Dan Rather's What Unites Us. Made up of essays, wih the theme of what we Americans have in common. I found it positive, informative, and uplifting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A lot of really good books being mentioned here! It's nice to see some YA fiction get mentioned. I haven't read those at all, but I suspect that they will be going on my list. I really find that a lot of YA fiction books have better character and story development than many books that are passed off as a good read these days.

Reading...man did I really not do a lot of it this past year. And I miss it. The problem is that at work I do so much legal reading that when I get home I don't feel like picking up a book (or in my case a Kindle). This is something that I need to rectify. Not making it a News Years resolution or anything...but 2020 is the year I get back to reading for fun!

I've become interested in becoming a better leader so I figured I'd learn from some of the best. Jim Mattis, Hal Moore, Edwin Rommel are in queue on my Kindle. I think I have First In, Last Out in a list of books to buy which directly pertains to my job. What else should I be reading?

I've become interested in becoming a better leader so I figured I'd learn from some of the best. Jim Mattis, Hal Moore, Edwin Rommel are in queue on my Kindle. I think I have First In, Last Out in a list of books to buy which directly pertains to my job. What else should I be reading?

That’s a solid list!

Jim Collins, John Maxwell, Max DePree, and Spencer Johnson helped inform me some. I don’t have any suggestions that are career specific for you unfortunately. The quest for personal development is highly admirable when the person desiring it sticks to it! It’s just important to remember that this genre of education is all highly fluid; a lot of authors are just selling a bag of motivation and some personal method. Like shaving, you have to sort out what works best in your situation.

That’s a solid list!

Jim Collins, John Maxwell, Max DePree, and Spencer Johnson helped inform me some. I don’t have any suggestions that are career specific for you unfortunately. The quest for personal development is highly admirable when the person desiring it sticks to it! It’s just important to remember that this genre of education is all highly fluid; a lot of authors are just selling a bag of motivation and some personal method. Like shaving, you have to sort out what works best in your situation.
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check them out. I'm not too worried about career specific stuff for the reasons you listed. I also stumbled upon a few books written by fire chiefs, but there's always another perspective that can help me.

Last edited:
Just grabbed "1984" by George Orwell at the library. The movie disturbed me on many levels as a young lad so I've always been reluctant to pick it up. I'm on a dystopian kick at the moment (just finished "A Brave New World") so I thought I'd pick it up and scare myself to death again. For old times sake.

The only other story of his I read was The Dispatcher, a novella on Audible. It was great.
Lock In is a great futuristic police murder mystery. If any of the Cadre read it, let me know. There is an interesting aspect to the book that the author did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back