The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Just grabbed "1984" by George Orwell at the library. The movie disturbed me on many levels as a young lad so I've always been reluctant to pick it up. I'm on a dystopian kick at the moment (just finished "A Brave New World") so I thought I'd pick it up and scare myself to death again. For old times sake.
We by Yevgany Zamyatin is awesome if you haven't picked it up yet. It's regarded as possibly the first dystopian novel if I remember correctly and although denied by Huxley may have also inspired A Brave New World.

Edit: Definitely not the first. I can't read good. Still a great novel.

Ready Player one is excellent!

As to the Ender series. The Speaker for the Dead is an EXCELLENT BOOK! IT is technically book 2. But Orson Scott Card had actually written it first, and then decided he needed to release Ender's Game first in order to set up the story better. They are pretty quick listens too.

I started Ender's Game on audio today, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Listening wise they just released a new reading of The Martin by audible. On sale for $5 I snapped it up. Love that book so if the production is even better I look forward to listening to it.

1. The King James Holy Bible- great book about how a Holy God purposes to redeem sinful man through the offer of salvation in His Son Jesus Christ for the praise of His glory.

2. The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey-- a great book on taking baby steps to dump debt & build financial peace.

More to come.......

Finished Doctor Sleep earlier today. Stephen King’s still got it. Not as scary as The Shining, but a really good story and sequel.

Started The Road by Cormac McCarthy Should be good from what I hear

I’m listening to The Testament by John Grisham. I like almost everything he’s written.

Two going right now, one audio and the second hard copy. Philip K Dick's The Man in the High Castle is very good (especially on audio). Those who have watched the Hulu series and liked it may like the book as well, since (I think) the series is based on the book and in the world of the book, but it doesn't hew to the story in the book. Agatha Christie's Murder in Mesopotamia is just as you'd imagine an Agatha Christie novel to be.

Two going right now, one audio and the second hard copy. Philip K Dick's The Man in the High Castle is very good (especially on audio). Those who have watched the Hulu series and liked it may like the book as well, since (I think) the series is based on the book and in the world of the book, but it doesn't hew to the story in the book. Agatha Christie's Murder in Mesopotamia is just as you'd imagine an Agatha Christie novel to be.
Been thinking about this post. I’ve never read a pure murder mystery book. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Been thinking about this post. I’ve never read a pure murder mystery book. Maybe I should give it a shot.

You should! Some really good modern stuff out there, but I recommend a classic. Agatha Christie’s “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” is considered by some to be the greatest mystery ever written. You could also try Raymond Chandler’s “The Big Sleep.”

Side track here. What with all of our homeboundedness these days, there’s lots more opportunity to binge watch, read or do something arts-related. Since this is the Reading thread, what books are you going for?

Personally, I am tackling one of my bucket list books, Moby Dick. I’m about a third of the way through and it’s been a bit of a slog so far. It has runs of story that just fly, but then hits a roadblock of ‘explanation’ and background. They tell me that once you get through that, the great story we all know about just runs, but I’m not there yet. I will keep at it.

Right now I'm making my way through the audiobook of "Because Internet". It explains how language has changed in the internet age. It's pretty good so far.

I'm in the middle of one book and multiple audiobooks haha. I used to drive a lot for work and would get through a book a week year round. Not anymore. Book is New Spring by Robert Jordan. Audiobooks are Last Wish, Gideon the Ninth, Lies of Locke Lamora and The Burning White

Back