The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Fraternal Organization Thread

Strange times with the Lodge and dealing with COVID.

We've not met basically since this spring when it all started to go down. Then we are normally dark (i.e. don't have meetings) in July/Aug. Set to resume in September, but folks were still shy about returning to lodge and we didn't have enough people to open lodge. Finally had out first meeting of the new "Masonic Year" this past Monday. We should have had elections for new officers in September, but we decided since we missed about half the year, to forgo elections and just keep the current officers in office for the upcoming year. That actually works out well for us for a variety of reasons. But, due to COVID restrictions and mandated form the Grand Lodge, we are on an indefinite hold for conferring degrees, which means we cannot initiate any new members or hold any degrees to raise anyone to full Master Mason status. It's mainly due to the increase number of members we have in lodge during degrees, and the direct contact with the candidates during the process. That's a bummer, because we have a few petitions waiting and a couple Brothers waiting to advance. I hope the situation gets better soon. We need the members!

We've not met basically since this spring when it all started to go down. Then we are normally dark (i.e. don't have meetings) in July/Aug. Set to resume in September, but folks were still shy about returning to lodge and we didn't have enough people to open lodge. Finally had out first meeting of the new "Masonic Year" this past Monday. We should have had elections for new officers in September, but we decided since we missed about half the year, to forgo elections and just keep the current officers in office for the upcoming year. That actually works out well for us for a variety of reasons. But, due to COVID restrictions and mandated form the Grand Lodge, we are on an indefinite hold for conferring degrees, which means we cannot initiate any new members or hold any degrees to raise anyone to full Master Mason status. It's mainly due to the increase number of members we have in lodge during degrees, and the direct contact with the candidates during the process. That's a bummer, because we have a few petitions waiting and a couple Brothers waiting to advance. I hope the situation gets better soon. We need the members!
We're pretty much in the same situation. No meetings, no new initiates, no conferring degrees. Basically everything's on indefinite standby.

We are in the same boat here in the North. Grand Master has cancelled everything until at least Jan 2021. Our Installation was scheduled for May and that didn’t happen.

Though I am a Master Mason, I have not sat in lodge for several years. I had held a chair for a minute and became disillusioned by some difficult politics that arose. That being said, the lessons of the degrees and obligations are still in my heart.

By my count, we've got 8 freemasons on The Cadre. Anyone else who hasn't checked in to this thread?

Hey, @OpusX is this lodge near you? (Shawnee, KS) I saw it while browsing and thought it was a pretty cool building. A Lodge, A Barbershop, and BBQ!

FrontOfBuilding2020.jpg

Hey, @OpusX is this lodge near you? (Shawnee, KS) I saw it while browsing and thought it was a pretty cool building. A Lodge, A Barbershop,
Near enough (15-20 minutes). Closer to work for me. Perhaps I'll have to pay the barber a visit.

Well, my year as WM is coming to a close. We were closed down from mid march until we came back for a meeting in October. That meeting and the one in November were very lightly attended (as is to be expected). In fact, I had to open the November meeting on the 2nd degree as we only had 6 Brothers present. Next month is elections and I'm ready to hand off my seat in the East. It feels like an incomplete year, what with only having 6 meetings (instead of our normal 10), but my daughter says I can go back through the chairs (I'm thinking about disowning here....not really). Its been a strange trip.

Yeah, that's why our lodge just decided to not hold elections and continue holding our current positions.
Same, same. I’ll sit as treasurer but our poor SW needs to wait a bit longer. We were unable to have elections much less Installation. The WM will remain in the East.

It was proposed by some that we hold our positions for next year but The Grand Master isn't staying put so most of the WM's are not either. I might have entertained the idea but I was asked to stay in as Grand Marshal in Nevada Eastern Star and they asked first. I'm almost glad that I didn't have to do WM and Grand Marshal at the same time....its too much at once. I'm not looking forward to introducing myself each meeting as "Steven Crosby, I served as WM in the Quarantine year of 2020". I am thinking about having my Past Master portrait taken with a mask on.

It was proposed by some that we hold our positions for next year but The Grand Master isn't staying put so most of the WM's are not either. I might have entertained the idea but I was asked to stay in as Grand Marshal in Nevada Eastern Star and they asked first. I'm almost glad that I didn't have to do WM and Grand Marshal at the same time....its too much at once. I'm not looking forward to introducing myself each meeting as "Steven Crosby, I served as WM in the Quarantine year of 2020". I am thinking about having my Past Master portrait taken with a mask on.
Well a masked portrait would be a first....😂

Just got an email from our brand new Worshipful Grand Master stating that all masonic functions are suspended in the State of Nevada "until further notice". I was only a week away from my elections meeting and after that I was able to add PM to my name. But now the entire state is on hold and once again, I'm the Master of a Lodge that can't meet. Can 2020 just go ahead and end already?

Just got an email from our brand new Worshipful Grand Master stating that all masonic functions are suspended in the State of Nevada "until further notice". I was only a week away from my elections meeting and after that I was able to add PM to my name. But now the entire state is on hold and once again, I'm the Master of a Lodge that can't meet. Can 2020 just go ahead and end already?

On the bright side you will qualify for this special PM jewel lol!
59ca0eb47c9297aba0bc239d82f4092e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wearing the Master Mason ring that was gifted to me by the daughter of a brother. I had only known the man for a short time (I was in a band with his daughter and her husband: Lychesis). Every time we got together to record or practice, I'd always make sure I made time to speak with him. He was from Watertown, New York originally and we had a lot of fun talking about the differences in ritual between our respective geographic areas.

When he passed, his daughter gave me his ring. I refused... Several times but she insisted, saying it was only right that it go to someone who'd appreciate it. She gave me his ritual books as well which I donated to my Lodge. I kept the ring and told his daughter that "I'm only the caretaker of it", that it rightfully belongs to her and that if she ever decides she'd like to have it back, I'd deliver it to her personally (they now live in Panama City).

I really miss them and my brother.

IMG-5025.jpg

Back