The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Fraternal Organization Thread

Thanks KJ. I got to wondering because I have an ancestor (I think my great grand uncle maybe?) who had been a Mason, but he was Jewish. I have a pin of his somewhere.

As the newest slogan from Nevada Eastern Star says "If you recognize any of these logos from your family histories, you're one of us"

@FarmerTan KJ's talking about the prayers just before opening and just before closing. One starts with "Behold.." and the other one starts with "May the..."
Ok. Flew right over my head. I guess I said them so much I began to forget they were prayers. Forgive me brothers. Dang. Not good.

"...Force be with you"

sorry. i had to.

Yes, its true....we are, in fact, Jedi Knights. My profile picture proves it. You've figured out our secret. Now we have to kill you*.

*actual killing will not be undertaken....you will, however, get a bad hangnail. And that'll teach ya.

Ok. Flew right over my head. I guess I said them so much I began to forget they were prayers. Forgive me brothers. Dang. Not good.

They're the one part of the ritual I really want to make sure I get word perfect. I can be a off a word here of there during the rest but I feel like those are required to be perfect. I recently was given a code book that belonged to my Great-great grandfather from 1897 and those two prayers are exactly the same, word for word, as they are today. The rest of the ritual has minor changes here and there but those two stood out as being unchanged. I imagine they've been that way since before the time of the Founding Fathers. So I always take a deep breath before plunging into either of those prayers.

Yes, its true....we are, in fact, Jedi Knights. My profile picture proves it. You've figured out our secret. Now we have to kill you*.

*actual killing will not be undertaken....you will, however, get a bad hangnail. And that'll teach ya.
I vote for an ingrown toenail!

They're the one part of the ritual I really want to make sure I get word perfect. I can be a off a word here of there during the rest but I feel like those are required to be perfect. I recently was given a code book that belonged to my Great-great grandfather from 1897 and those two prayers are exactly the same, word for word, as they are today. The rest of the ritual has minor changes here and there but those two stood out as being unchanged. I imagine they've been that way since before the time of the Founding Fathers. So I always take a deep breath before plunging into either of those prayers.
I am glad to hear that Brother.

I am a bit of a slacker by nature, but I am such a NERD when it comes to the ritual.

When I was going through the chairs, by the time I was 3 years away from the top job I could sit in any chair in the lodge.

Not exactly a big deal, but it's amazing how well you can remember that stuff after it's learned.

but I am such a NERD when it comes to the ritual.
Me too! However, nobody else in my lodge is, and it's so frustrating. It's hard for me to practice and learn, when nobody else will put in the time to learn. I was raised in a different state, so I've been trying hard to relearn obligations and proficiencies. Old words still pop in my head. But we had a large training program at my first lodge, and nothign like that here.... it's a much smaller county lodge.

Just learned about this thread. 15 year Master Mason / Past Master Northern Lodge 278. Also York Rite Mason. Forever searching form more light! 👏

Me too! However, nobody else in my lodge is, and it's so frustrating. It's hard for me to practice and learn, when nobody else will put in the time to learn. I was raised in a different state, so I've been trying hard to relearn obligations and proficiencies. Old words still pop in my head. But we had a large training program at my first lodge, and nothign like that here.... it's a much smaller county lodge.
I was so blessed. The first time I went to an Installation of Officers I was about 15ish. It was for a great man, a friend of my Dad's. When I hear people say "he knows that little book backwards and forwards!" I think of him. Because: he TRULY did. When I was elected to my first chair he gave me his old ritual, dog eared and all. He had crib notes all through it. He ended up being the Grand Lecturer for the state of Michigan eventually.

I never got 1/100th of a percent as good as him in the lectures, but I can still take any chair in the lodge at the drop of a hat.

And it's because of that man and my dad, and a few others.

I was so blessed. The first time I went to an Installation of Officers I was about 15ish. It was for a great man, a friend of my Dad's. When I hear people say "he knows that little book backwards and forwards!" I think of him. Because: he TRULY did. When I was elected to my first chair he gave me his old ritual, dog eared and all. He had crib notes all through it. He ended up being the Grand Lecturer for the state of Michigan eventually.

I never got 1/100th of a percent as good as him in the lectures, but I can still take any chair in the lodge at the drop of a hat.

And it's because of that man and my dad, and a few others.
The year I was Master of my Lodge I had the privilege of presenting a 70 year a Mason and 50 year a mason pins/medals to two Very Worshipful Brothers. The Grand Master was in attendance to assist me. Humbling to say the least but an honour I will never forget. Each of those Brothers were my friends and mentors and part of my examining board when I became Master. Ches my dear friend we buried last year and he is with the GAOTU above, Ivan is still with us. Ivan was my book of the work. Literally. For those who have sat in the East you well know you never answer your phone on Lodge night because it would always be a member of your degree team calling in their “regrets”. I in a word could simply “ask” Ivan for any piece of work and he would clear his throat, stand and begin. Ivan, Hugh and Ches are the reasons I became a Mason and along with many, the very best examples of our fraternity. Learn the book, pay your dues and follow the tenants taught to you. This Fall I will travel to London to initiate a dear friend into the Brotherhood. He doesn’t know it yet but will when all is revealed to him...

Last edited:
When I was installed as Master, my mom gave me My Great-Great-Grand Father's ritual, my Great-Grand Father's Apron (he was raised in October of 1919!) and I'm using my Great-Grand Mother's gavel from when she was Worthy Matron of Eastern Star in Peoria, Illinois. The gavel has been passed down through my mom who used it for OES, my daughter who used it for Rainbow and my two nieces who also used it for Rainbow. I'm the first male in my family to use it. I also have my Grand Father's apron (he was raised in the 1970's). The history of each object is so important to me and I'm so proud to be carrying on these traditions.

When I was installed as Master, my mom gave me My Great-Great-Grand Father's ritual, my Great-Grand Father's Apron (he was raised in October of 1919!) and I'm using my Great-Grand Mother's gavel from when she was Worthy Matron of Eastern Star in Peoria, Illinois. The gavel has been passed down through my mom who used it for OES, my daughter who used it for Rainbow and my two nieces who also used it for Rainbow. I'm the first male in my family to use it. I also have my Grand Father's apron (he was raised in the 1970's). The history of each object is so important to me and I'm so proud to be carrying on these traditions.
Amazing. .... I have no masonic family history.

Back