The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Fraternal Organization Thread

My father was a Freemason and in the Scottish Rite. He was the district instructor for the masons and I want to say a 23rd degree for the Scottish Rite. He played many large roles in state level degrees and rituals.

I was in DeMolay when I was young. We had tried to get a Chapter going in my town when I was 16, so I was only able to do it for 2 or 3 years. Unfortunately, when one other member and I both moved away to college, it went defunct. They couldn't get enough people to fill the chairs.

While I was in college, I became a Freemason. Then afterwards, when I moved back to my hometown, I joined my dad's lodge. I stayed in it and worked my way up to Senior Deacon until I moved away. I have never been to another lodge. I keep meaning to find one, but with being as involved as I am with the kids' stuff, I rarely have a free night. Maybe once they are a little bigger.

Maybe once they are a little bigger.
Welcome Brother! You’ll get back to lodge when the time is right. I’m sure you know how to find a lodge, but if you need help let me know.

KJ...I have VFW question for you. It's time for me to renew my yearly membership and I am thinking of just doing the lifetime...pay it out over a year. Are there any benifits to doing this or does it really not matter and year to year is just fine. Also...I need to get to the local chapter. It's a really small VFW...but I feel I need to at least see what they are all about.

Are there any benifits to doing this or does it really not matter and year to year is just fine.

Well, if you multiply your yearly dues out for the rest of your life, what does it work out to be? Or how many years does it take to break even? That will tell you if it’s worth it. Also, you get the benefit of never having to worry about it or having them contact you to pay dues ever again.

I remember my Grandparents being big in the VFW when I was little. They were Commander and President of the VFW and Auxiliary for many years. When I retired from the Air Force I decided to join and become a life member in their honor.

Well, if you multiply your yearly dues out for the rest of your life, what does it work out to be? Or how many years does it take to break even? That will tell you if it’s worth it. Also, you get the benefit of never having to worry about it or having them contact you to pay dues ever again.

I remember my Grandparents being big in the VFW when I was little. They were Commander and President of the VFW and Auxiliary for many years. When I retired from the Air Force I decided to join and become a life member in their honor.

Thanks! In the long run becoming a life member is financially better...but I'm not too concerned with that. I think I will just go ahead and do it. I think the ease of not worrying about it is probably the biggest benefit.

Had a Lodge meeting yesterday. We did a Second Degree. One more ritual, and he will be a full Master Mason.

All these people make me look really short!

So I have to ask the obvious question...does anyone get the 3rd degree? ?

So I have to ask the obvious question...does anyone get the 3rd degree?
1f602.png

Well, since he just got his second degree, and has one more to go......

Where do you think that expression comes from in the first place???

Just got installed as SW on sunday afternoon. The fun part (terrifying part) was that the Grand Master wanted us to close on the 3rd degree and the new Master and I had only practiced it once. It was a bit shaky but I made it through. The Master drew a blank when he got to the closing prayer. I now have 12 months to prepare for the East.

So I have to ask the obvious question...does anyone get the 3rd degree?
1f602.png

You'd be surprised at how many phrases come from Masonic teachings:

The 3rd degree
On the Level
blackballed

Just got installed as SW on sunday afternoon. The fun part (terrifying part) was that the Grand Master wanted us to close on the 3rd degree and the new Master and I had only practiced it once. It was a bit shaky but I made it through. The Master drew a blank when he got to the closing prayer. I now have 12 months to prepare for the East.

Congrats!

Tomorrow we finish getting all of our Christmas boxes together. We will deliver them to 100 need families that can't afford a good meal in our surrounding area. They will all get a Christmas ham, and all the fixings for a wonderful family meal. It will also come with about $75 worth of dry and canned goods to stock the cupboards. Of course Santa might include a few presents for the children at the homes too.

I love this about our Knights council. We service a very wide area that includes neighborhoods that are well off, and some areas that are very low income. It sure feels great to help our fellow parishioners. Even got Connor involved this year a little bit to learn that it is better to give than receive.

@Spider - WM enjoy your year in the East because it comes and goes far too quickly. Soon as you get into the groove of the work it will be time to Install your successor. I enjoyed my year in the East and every meeting since my first in 95.

@Spider - WM enjoy your year in the East because it comes and goes far too quickly. Soon as you get into the groove of the work it will be time to Install your successor. I enjoyed my year in the East and every meeting since my first in 95.

Thank you very much WB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back