The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Fraternal Organization Thread

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Are you a member of a Fraternal Organization? There are so many of them out there. Here is a list of just some of them:

Freemasons

Knights of Columbus

VFW

American Legion

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

Order of Elks

Loyal order of the Moose

Order of Eagles

Lions Club

Rotary Club

Kiwanis (Key Club)

Knights of Pythias

Jaycees

If you are a member, tell us a little bit about your organization or tell us about any current happenings or noteworthy stuff about your Fraternity. Looking forward to hearing about what organizations you guys are a part of, especially if it’s something that I did not list or haven’t heard of before.

I am a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (Freemasons). I joined the Freemasons in 2013, and I joined the VFW in 2014 (right after I retired from the Air Force).

I am involved with the VFW, primarily right now, to assist them with Bingo. Possibly in the future I will take on more of a leadership role on take on some positions within the organization, but for the time being I’m focused more on my participation within the Freemasons.

There is a pretty good documentary series on Netflix right now called “Inside the Freemasons”. I believe it is 6 episodes and I’ve watched 2 so far. I’d recommend it for anyone who is curious. It was filmed in England, and follows some Freemasons and talks about what goes on in Lodge. It is completely fact based documentary style and doesn’t get into any conspiracy theory junk or sensationalism that other documentaries try to do with the Fraternity. I was pleasantly surprised after watching the first episode.

Anyway…….

My big news is that in our last meeting, on Monday, we held elections for the upcoming Masonic Year. I was elected to be Worshipful Master of the Lodge, which is our term for the President of the Lodge. I will be installed into the position on Sep 30[sup]th[/sup], and then I will run my first meeting on Oct 1[sup]st[/sup]. I have a lot of studying to do between now and then as all of our lines for opening and closing Lodge must be memorized. But I’m really looking forward to my year ahead.

If you have any questions about either the Freemasons or the VFW I will do my best to answer them, or find you a good answer.

I am a 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus, a fraternity for good standing Catholic Men. My current position is Deputy Grand Knight of our council.

We have 4 main pillars to our order Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism. Those 4 pillars are what we function on, and we do a lot of service projects for our parish and local community. We are currently preparing for our big Thanksgiving basket drive where we provide everything needed to provide a thanksgiving dinner to 75 families who cannot afford one; it includes to turkey, pie, potatoes, vegetables, etc. The other big drive we are preparing for is our Coats for Kids drive. Where we provide winter coats, snow boots, and gloves to low income children so they are warm for the winter.

I am not as involved once football season starts up but I do have aspirations to hold higher positions with the council, 4th degree, and state levels.

Religious info coming:

For any Catholic men on this forum I highly recommend that you look into your local Knights council. You can even sign up online now. The Knights have brought me closer to God, made me a better husband, and father. I am always willing to answer any questions about the KoC just reach out to me.

Great stuff so far gents.

KJ congratulations on your new position of Worshipful Master of you Lodge. Quite a title, but I’m sure you will do well and hold it in all humility. You’ll have to tell us, if you are able, How that rather interesting title came about!

Chad, excellent news about the holiday drives for families and kids. I hope things are still going well in your Order.

Myself, I do not belong to any fraternal organizations. Heck I didn’t even participate in a fraternity through college! Some times I get the feeling a good portion are a sham or simply a dressed up club for the “good ol’ boys”. I’m glad to hear of the humanitarian and community work organizations like yours do however!

I am considered a Member At Large with the VFW. I don't have an official home though. I really need to remedy that...I just haven't committed yet.

I have considered the Freemason's. My father-in-law belongs somewhere and seemed intriguing. Just haven't asked enough questions yet.

Being Catholic, I have also considered the Knights of Columbus, but I'm not active enough in my church so I should probably work on that first.

Anyway...this is an interesting thread and am eager to hear about everyone's experiences.

I am a member of the local chapter of The Ruritan Club. We basically assist anyone in our community with anything they may need from financial help to building ramps for the handicapped, cleaning up yards and anything else someone may need.

I am a Freemason (F&AM) and Scottish Rite. I received my 25 year pin a couple of years ago. While I have learned the lectures, I haven't taken any of the chairs due largely to poor health in my better to do it years. My baby brother is A&AM and the scripts are subtly different so I had to do a bit of lip reading the first few times I went to visit his Lodge.
I am still active in Scouting, although more in the back. I serve in the advancement committee doing Eagle Scout boards as needed in our district.

I am a Freemason (F&AM) and Scottish Rite.
Wow, really? Very cool Rich. I’ll have to ask you more about Scottish Rite. I’ve thought about it, but don’t really have the time right now, and it’s not very local.

I've never been part of an organization.

My father was a a member of the Freemasons, Scottish Rite, and the Shriners. Once about 20 years ago I was talking to someone (who happened to be a mason) about my dad being a member, and he told me it was too bad I could never be one because of my tattoos and earrings. So I have never thought I could pursue it. But if they let KJ in, I know I would be a lock! That's a joke, of course. Super congrats, KJ, that sounds like a fantastic honor.

and he told me it was too bad I could never be one because of my tattoos and earrings. So I have never thought I could pursue it.
Well that’s just dumb. Maybe it was like that 20 years ago, but certainly not now. It’s never too late to join.

Well that’s just dumb. Maybe it was like that 20 years ago, but certainly not now. It’s never too late to join.

It's definitely something I have thought about. Plus I inherited all my dad's Masonic jewelry.

H тридцать восемь

It's definitely something I have thought about. Plus I inherited all my dad's Masonic jewelry.
Thats really cool! I don’t have any family members that were masons, so no heirloom stuff for me.

Congrats, KJ. I'm a seat behind you at SW. Our WM is a bit loose on his ritual work so I have my job cut out for me. I'm getting started on my plans or my term so there's lots of work to do. When does your lodge meet?

Congrats, KJ. I'm a seat behind you at SW. Our WM is a bit loose on his ritual work so I have my job cut out for me. I'm getting started on my plans or my term so there's lots of work to do. When does your lodge meet?

First and Third Mondays.

I had to move up from JW to SW last year when a Brother who was military got orders to move. So I got moved up quick. I strive for perfection, but getting everyone else on board is a challenge. We are also a small lodge, with barely enough active members to fill all the chairs. Over half our chairs are filled by Past Masters. I've kinda set it up this year, to get a flow of new blood through the chairs. Hopefully we can keep it together this year.

I officially move up to SW mid next month. Our Current MW has us doing our parts unofficially, which has helped me feel like I have may part down. In fact, I've got all of WM memorized except for the brief prayers WM does after opening the lodge and closing the lodge.

The real test will come when the 7 guys we have going through the three different degrees are ready to move up.

I've got all of WM memorized except for the brief prayers WM does after opening the lodge and closing the lodge.
Those were pretty much the only thing I needed to learn as well.

Back