The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Fraternal Organization Thread

Sorry that should have been 05...my fat thumbs and an iPad...LOL. Anyway, enjoy!

I am a member of Son’s of The American Legion. An old buddy of mine is a long time American Legion member and his little post was fading, with only a handful of active members. They wanted to get a new generation involved so we formed a SAL unit and really built out the ladies auxiliary. As it turned out I was needing to start a new Boy Scout Troop and the post was very eager to sponsor a troop. It took some working with the council but I was able to get a troop number to match the Legion’s post number, this Troop 725 was born. Both of my boys (and a number of other boys) earned the rank of Eagle in troop 725.

My grandfather was a member of the Scottish Rite Freemasons but I never sought to join.

I am a member of Son’s of The American Legion. An old buddy of mine is a long time American Legion member and his little post was fading, with only a handful of active members. They wanted to get a new generation involved so we formed a SAL unit and really built out the ladies auxiliary. As it turned out I was needing to start a new Boy Scout Troop and the post was very eager to sponsor a troop. It took some working with the council but I was able to get a troop number to match the Legion’s post number, this Troop 725 was born. Both of my boys (and a number of other boys) earned the rank of Eagle in troop 725.

My grandfather was a member of the Scottish Rite Freemasons but I never sought to join.
That sounds awesome Chris!

And it’s never too late to join! We just initiated a guy who is 65.

We partner alot with the local American Legion on activities.

Here's a picture from after my first meeting as Worshipful Master with all of my Lodge brothers.

FB_IMG_1581280290924.jpg

And here's a picture from after our meeting last week. My officers clean up really well when the Most Worshipful Grand Master is in the house.

FB_IMG_1581040737398.jpg

Well that’s just dumb. Maybe it was like that 20 years ago, but certainly not now. It’s never too late to join.
Oh, the stories I could tell..... My petition was read on my 21st birthday, and back then things were much more "formal" sad to say.

Things have "loosened up" quite a bit, and for the better, I might add.

Masonry helped make me the man I am today. For those of you that know me...... please don't hold that against the Fraternity!

Here’s a question from the truly uninformed: Are the Freemasons religiously affiliated? I’m seeing words like prayer and Chaplain, but had been under the impression that Masons were not religious (in the broadest sense of the word).

Here’s a question from the truly uninformed: Are the Freemasons religiously affiliated? I’m seeing words like prayer and Chaplain, but had been under the impression that Masons were not religious (in the broadest sense of the word).
No they are not. You must have a belief in a higher power, as no atheist can become a Mason. But it is not a religion, and all faiths are welcome to join.

No they are not. You must have a belief in a higher power, as no atheist can become a Mason. But it is not a religion, and all faiths are welcome to join.
Thanks KJ. I got to wondering because I have an ancestor (I think my great grand uncle maybe?) who had been a Mason, but he was Jewish. I have a pin of his somewhere.

I could be talking about something different too. There's prayers the WM says and also the Chaplain.

@FarmerTan KJ's talking about the prayers just before opening and just before closing. One starts with "Behold.." and the other one starts with "May the..."

Back