The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Feather ASD2 pass-around

I'm curious, how does it compare to other, more reasonably priced, 'mild' razors like a tech for example?
So far...and mind you this is only after one shave...I think I like it better than my Merkur Progress. I have (well sort of...I loaned it to a friend a couple of years ago and still haven't got it back) a Mekur Long Handle. The AS-D2 shaves significantly better than that. I have my Psycho Tech, which is just a Tech with a longer handle, and I love the way that shaves with a really sharp blade. But I think that AS-D2 shaves a bit differently. I think they are similar length (I'll have to pull mine out for comparison), but if I had to guess the AS-D2 is a bit heavier. I personally like heavier razors...they seem to be a bit more intuitive for me. I'll try to pull things out and compare them in the next few days. And I'll let you know what razors I prefer to this one or the other way around once I get a few more shaves under my belt. I haven't shaved with my Slim in a while...or my Super Adjustable...so maybe I will try to compare some of those. I have a couple other modern razors that I might try to compare them to also.

I'm curious, how does it compare to other, more reasonably priced, 'mild' razors like a tech for example?
What Don said. Plus no blade feel. I mean none. At least for me. My comment was if I didn't hear it cutting the hairs I would have kept checking to see if there was a blade in it.

What Don said. Plus no blade feel. I mean none. At least for me. My comment was if I didn't hear it cutting the hairs I would have kept checking to see if there was a blade in it.
Yeah...I hadn't thought of that yet...but you are right...there is no blade feel at all. I think that's why I believe it is deceptive in it's sharpness.

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Sudsy Soapery - Twice Mint
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic Tuxedo Beehive 26mm Shaving Brush
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's With Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Green)

I just went three passes this time with the ASD2. And after my second shave with the Feather Blade...I am starting to believe that @BarberDave is on to something by using a blade that isn't as sharp. Again, I got a really good shave up top...but on the neck portion...not as smooth as I would have liked it and a bit more irritation too. There is very little blade feel...if any at all. I don't want to say that you are shaving blind here...but I think I keep adding more pressure (especially in the neck region) to compensate for not feeling the blade. This is something I want to correct. Overall, mostly positive with this shave.

Blade: Voshkod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Cashmere Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage
The Ultimate Aftershave: Cold River Soap Works - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

1594726921938.png

I saw @BarberDave use his CBL Iron Throne the other day and thought that it is the perfect time to bring mine out too. Fits Perfectly with the July shave theme as the Real Menthol and the WS-12 Cooling Agent blend in symphony to create a wonderful chilling shave. Love this scent also and wish I had a perfect match an aftershave and beyond. But since this was last night's shave...I opted for an aftershave with a mild scent.

Still using the Feather ADS2 from Sam @woodpusher and I followed @BarberDave 's advice...I put a Voskhod blade in the razor. He might actually be on to something here. I would have thought that the less aggressive razor (if that is what it really is) would do well with the sharp Feather blade. But with this smooth blade in Voskhod I got a shave that I very much liked. Even during the times I KNEW I was using too much pressure there was no irritation and certainly no blood! I ended up with a completely BBS shave...which does not happen very often.

A couple splashes of Kyle @uacowboy 's concoction, Ultimate Osage, and the chill just kept on coming. Finished off my Shave with the CRSW Sandalwood Lotion and I went to bed dreaming of dolphins swimming into the sunset!

Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic Tuxedo Beehive 26mm Shaving Brush

The Ultimate Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

1594989089765.png

Not sure if this is my last time with the Feather ASD2 or not...I want to get it along to the next guy on the pass-around list as soon as I can. My thoughts on this razor are that it is a really intuitive razor. If you use a blade like a Feather Hi-Stainless then you probably need to pay more attention to what you are doing than with a regular DE or SE. Because there is hardly any blade feel at all. With the Feather Blade I found myself inadvertently using more and more pressure because I couldn't feel the blade. This led to irritation on my neck. I do want to iterate though that even with the increasing pressure to the skin...I at no time had a bad shave. If you train yourself to really not use any pressure at all with this razor...I bet Feather blades would give amazing shaves! So, I then went the extreme opposite. I went with a blade that I wouldn't call sharp at all...but I do call smooth. The Voskhod blade did the trick. I had absolutely effortless shaves. This last one was no different. Pretty much just scrape the lather off your face and have a great shave. With the Voskhod blade I didn't have to think at all (not that I have that issue anyway... 🤪 ). Would I buy this razor? Well...in a year where my wife wasn't pregnant...and I wasn't already committed to a big purchase...then yeah...I would. Even so...if I find a good deal on one...I might pull the trigger earlier. But I got to get past October first.

I ended up with a mostly BBS shave. Not too bad for a completely thoughtless shave. No irritation on the neck at all. So I am feeling pretty darn good. A healthy splash with the Lemon Rose Chypre aftershave and man...it feels good. When I first got this set I thought that the menthol freeze was super high! Now...as the aftershave has sat a while...I think the menthol has toned down a bit...but is still one of the coldest aftershaves in my den.

US
1. Majorrich (done!)
2. Spider (done, bought 1!)
3. Dave in KY (ran away, bought his own then sold it pronto!)
4. BarberDave (done! bought 1)
5. dangerousdon (en route)
6.LBKINDY

CAN
1. ...
99. Somnos (last in CAN leg, before returning to my dogsbody)

QuoteReply

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I must withdraw from this pass around. Life and personal reasons are taking precedent over fun.

So the list looks like this currently.

Posting the rules for an easy find if anyone else wants to join in.

We'll do the Canadian leg after the US one, so that it only needs to cross the border once.

Rules:
- be an established member (this ain't a $15 tech)... let's try 3 months here and 75 posts
......... If you're uncertain that you qualify, send me a PM. Having an established member vouch for you would go a long way
- be CAN or US (restricted mainly due to shipping times and costs)
- package it up nice a safe
- cover shipping
- review the razor here or in your own thread/journals (or both!)

US
1. Majorrich (done!)
2. Spider (done, bought 1!)
3. Dave in KY (ran away, bought his own then sold it pronto!)
4. BarberDave (done! bought 1)
5. dangerousdon (In Possession of)
6.LBKINDY

CAN
1. ...
99. Somnos (last in CAN leg, before returning to my dogsbody)

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Chiseled Face - Cryogen
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel

The Ultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage

1595245678765.png

Still using the Feather ASD2 Razor that @woodpusher is lending to a pass-around. So far I have used the Feather Hi-Stainless and Voskhod blades. Today I am using a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum. This is my go to blade as of late...and it seems to be a winner with this razor as well! Sharper than a Voskhod and way smoother than the Feather, this blade really sang this morning! Eliminated the weekend's growth in no time at all and left my face feeling smooth. I am really liking the razor a lot! With the right blade...it can be an effortless shave.

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ghost Dragon's Blood
Brush: Purple & Geauxld Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Classic After Shave - Fresh Vetiver

1595418841941.png

I am continuing with the Feather ASD2 and am really getting a grove on (unlike Stella). I am enjoying this blade a lot in this razor. It is just really intuitive. I didn't get pics of it yet...but I was comparing the ASD2 to my Gillette Big Fellow. Concerning length...they are almost identical. And they are pretty close in weight also. The handle in the Big Fellow is a bit wider though. I will maybe try to pull out some other razors I have and maybe measure them and weigh them for comparison. Otherwise...man was this shave great!

Nice, Don. I'm glad to see that your impression of the Feather wasn't the "ohh, a new toy! I love it!" glow. I wasn't looking for short-term satisfaction when I picked it up, but long term usage.

Nice, Don. I'm glad to see that your impression of the Feather wasn't the "ohh, a new toy! I love it!" glow. I wasn't looking for short-term satisfaction when I picked it up, but long term usage.
Oh...it's definitely a razor one would use for a long time. To be honest...if this razor was in my arsenal...it would be my go to razor. I think it is every bit as good as the Rockwell 6S I tried. Not sure it is better than the Vector...but the Vector is a different animal unto itself. But I don't think the ASD2 is far off the Vector. I think the ASD2 is on par or better than the Timeless I tried quite a while ago. And I think it WAY better than the Karve. Just some food for thought.

1595506652503.png

Okay...so I apologize for this pic not being the best. But you can get a rough idea on length. From Left (next to the ruler) to right: Feather ASD2, Gillette Super Adjustable 109 (Black Beauty); Merkur Progress; Gillette Big Fellow (Circa 1920s), Gillette Slim' and the Gillette Psycho Tech.

For comparison purposes (and mind you...measurements are approximate...I tried to get as close as to what the eyeball could see...so I might be off a mm in either direction):

• Feather ASD2 - 98mm Overall Length / 91mm Handle Length / 90 grams in weight
  • Gillette Super 109 - 109mm/95mm/69g
  • Merkur Progress - 85mm/76mm/ 102g
  • Gillette Big Fellow - 95mm/90mm/82g
  • Gillette Slim - 90mm/80mm/70g
  • Gillette Psycho Tech - 78mm/73mm/48g

A couple quick notes...I have seen a few forums and websites that say the Super 109 has a handle length of 109 mm. But that is not what I am seeing. My measurement has it at 109mm total length. I didn't expect my Merkur Progress to be the heaviest of the bunch. The razor definitely has some heft to it...but it's a little deceiving until you compare it to others.

Okay...so comparing it to some popular or well known razors...the ASD2 isn't the longest or the heaviest, but is above average in weight. I like a razor with a little heft to it. As far as handle width...just giving it a good eyeball test...the ASD2 seems to be about the same as the Gillette razors except for the Big Fellow. It is definitely slimmer that than the Merkur Progress.

Don't know if any of this helps or not...but I thought I would do a little comparing.

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Sudsy Soapery - Lavender & Peppermint
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Classic After Shave - Lavender Pour Homme

1595591126387.png

Three passes with the Feather ASD2 that is still on loan from Sam @woodpusher . It is still winning me over. I had pretty much a thoughtless shave this morning and this blade is really settling in. I didn't chase or clean up at all and still got better than a DFS and very close to a BBS. I think next shave I will go back to the Feather Blades and see if I can improve upon my shaves from last time. After all...I am certain the manufacturer had their blades in mind when they made the razor.

Almost BBS for Don? It’s been a great morning in the land of beads and sweat!

Blade: Feather Hi-Stainles (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Green)

1595862218252.png

Still using the Feather ASD2. And today I decided to go back to the Feather Hi-Stainless blade. Concentrated more on form and touch and I will say...that after going from a Feather blade...to a Voskhod...to Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum...back to a Feather blade...I think the shave has improved! Maybe not a BBS shave...but pretty close. And I think with a few more shaves...I can get the shave fine tuned with the razor.

Back