The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Feather ASD2 pass-around

I’m using Military rebranded Platinum Chromes. They have since switched to the SS version. Not sure what would be the equivalent of the PCs.
I have the Platinum Chromes or Personna Reds but I am always confused by the branding. It says Platinum Chrome Super Stainless on the blades. I have them in 10 Packs but I also have single Reds and they are branded the same way. I like them but the ones your talking about I am sure I don’t have. Blues, Med Prep, Platinum and/or Reds. Also have a bunch of Crystal blades which are Personna made also.

The Feather blade is no more. It really isn’t my cup of tea at all never really liked them. So today I went with a Wizamet IR which in essence is a Polsilver IR. These aren’t vintage or Polish but the modern Russian equivalents. I have a bunch of Polsilver but only one tuck of the Wizamet version.

Soap today was Stirling Weekend in Malibu...where I am not but the heat is approaching 40 Celsius it may just feel like I am. Excellent soap and a reminder of better days hopefully not too far off.

First pass with the AS-D2 WTG and instantly the smoothness is apparent with the Wizamet. The blade is very sharp but much easier to deal with and really smooth. Comfortable and close first pass.

Second pass XTG both directions and very smooth and trouble free. The Wizamet is a very nice blade and as far as I can recollect the same as the Polsilver.

Just two passes today and the dolphins are gently sobbing as opposed to flat out weeping with joy. Good enough for me on a Sunday. The Feather AS-D2 is a wonderful razor and matched to this Wizamet a smooth and comfortable combo indeed. More shaves to come!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Lather: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
Aftershave: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
English Laundry Tahitian Waters
A2790B63-BC7C-4EB9-9620-6E514D9A5467.jpeg

A glorious Tuesday is upon us! Heavy rain last night watered everything nicely and besides a little thunder we got through everything just fine.

Carrying on with the AS-D2 loaded with a Wizamet IR on its second use. Last shave was really quite nice and smooth with no drama to report so I was expecting more of the same.

Soap of the day TFS Corte Sabauda 70th Anniversary soap with the matching AS. As I have mentioned in the past their soaps are vegan and phenomenal both in performance and scent wise. Great slickness, glide and cushion and it is a breeze to load. If you can find some it is worth getting any of their scents!

First pass WTG and the AS-D2 is now on auto-pilot. Just a lovely glide along my punim. It’s a really nicely balanced razor and effortless to use. I agree the angle is a bit more than the usual 30 degrees but it’s easy to dial in.

Second pass XTG both ways and again nice and easy. The Wizamet is a smooth blade for sure. All done and the slickness of the Corte Sabauda really made it enjoyable as did the beautiful scent. Topped off with the matching AS and a healthy spritz of Guerlain Habit Rouge which is now the match for this soap making it a signature combo for me! My oh my Cadre! So smooth and smelling so good! Man, I wish I had somewhere to go! I might just go hang out by the mailbox to let this cacophony of scent righteousness be enjoyed by all! Or...pour a tea and get on with the day...

The AS-D2 has been quite nice indeed. Yours will be with you soon @woodpusher

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
Brush: Paragon Shaving BLS-1 - 25mm Boss Knot
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing Corte Sabauda
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing - Corte Sabauda
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Guerlain Habit Rouge
28D80284-D3FA-402F-8764-C1F701F2AF50.jpeg

Now in all fairness the AS-D2 is a bundle of mild shaving joy. I am not overly fussed by mild or aggressive razors but I can see some folks who would be. Different horses for different courses I say. However, if you love a good Red Tip, Muhle R41 or (insert name of fav whisker chopper) because you have a beard like steel wool or you shave evryother day or two you will need a Gillette Nacet, Polsilver or similar sharp blade. You will need to do three or four passes but they will be enjoyable. One and done is not part of the AS-D2 CV unless you are doing a touch up shave or shaving everyday. Just wanted to put that out there. I love this razor but I am not a Feather Fan Boy...I own 69 more razors. Just my 2 cents...

Now in all fairness the AS-D2 is a bundle of mild shaving joy. I am not overly fussed by mild or aggressive razors but I can see some folks who would be. Different horses for different courses I say. However, if you love a good Red Tip, Muhle R41 or (insert name of fav whisker chopper) because you have a beard like steel wool or you shave evryother day or two you will need a Gillette Nacet, Polsilver or similar sharp blade. You will need to do three or four passes but they will be enjoyable. One and done is not part of the AS-D2 CV unless you are doing a touch up shave or shaving everyday. Just wanted to put that out there. I love this razor but I am not a Feather Fan Boy...I own 69 more razors. Just my 2 cents...
Finally, I feel a balance has returned to the force....

69 Razors nice travel kit.... Try a Voskhod Ed will change your view, just ask anyone who has tried. Take the red pill and join us in the Matrix

Another day and another shave with the AS-D2. I was part of @woodpusher gracious pass-around but ended up picking one up before it got to me...like most here at TSC! So I have been reviewing mine as I await the arrival of Sam’s so that I may present it to him safe and sound. It has arrived in the Great White North and in a day or two will in his hands.

I decided to take “red pill” today and join @BarberDave and @Spider in the shave matrix of nirvana....translation? I put a fresh Voskhod blade in the AS-D2 for today’s shave. Many waxed poetic on how smooth a shave it was with this combo and so why not! I have quite a few Voskhod blades and truly enjoy them.

Soap of the day was Cella. Look near, look far, look cheap or expensive it is a great soap in my opinion. The scent of almond permeates the den while lathering up and it is just great. Never had a bad shave with Cella and that little red tub is a perfect travel companion. Chubby 1 had no issues getting into the tub and whipping up 5+ passes of lather...but more on that in a minute.

Pass one WTG and I almost felt nothing. No blade feel at all. I had to check to make sure in my morning haze I didn’t forget it. I adjusted the angle and heard it cutting but smooth indeed. Now at rinse I did notice more stubble but this isn’t a sprint...I have a Blackland Dart, Icon Standard or R41 for those days.

Pass two XTG both ways and again nice and smooth and quiet. No muss and no fuss. Beard reduction moving along quite nicely.

Pass three ATG and not much left to do. Now I normally would have stopped here but I had a bunch more lather in the brush so I wrung the lather out of the brush and gave my face a once over with it. Buffed out a couple quite short stray hairs and...@nursedave was right...the dolphins DO scream!

It was a very enjoyable shave and this razor has very little in my book to beak about in fact, I got nothing except it’s price retail. In the US I have seen it for $189 US and in Canada as high as $279 CDN. That is nuts for some people. I got a great deal and so did the rest of the Cadre faithful.

The AS-D2s performance is directly linked to the blade you use and of course all the software variables but it will reward you with a wonderfully mild yet close shave over three or four + passes. They will be comfortable and enjoyable. It is also a real looker and it’s presentation is quality incarnate. Will the humble Tech shave you just as well? Of course it will. Different horses for different courses and we aren’t all in this glorious “hobby” because we own just one razor. Though if some of us now subscribe to that “single” razor preference I am sure they went through a whole bunch to get there. The question of purchase is your own to answer. I am glad I got mine for the price and condition (NIB) I did. Would I pop for it retail? Nope.

Now this will conclude my review of the AS-D2 and I love mine and soon Sam will have his baby to trial away with and I am looking forward to his perspective. Back to the razor rotation for me!!! There are a few “angry” razors awaiting the attention they deserve. Be well Cadre!

Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Lather: Cella
Aftershave: Cella Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Dolce & Gabbana The One
8911470E-3DD4-47FF-A031-2EBF89FA8DF0.jpeg

I might have to bum a few Voshhods and/or Rapiras from you, as all I have are some Derbys and Gillettes. It's been a while since I've been a regular DE user.

I might have to bum a few Voshhods and/or Rapiras from you, as all I have are some Derbys and Gillettes. It's been a while since I've been a regular DE user.
Done and done....I shall put together a blade grab bag for you...trust me...I have a-lot-o-blades...

As mentioned in my boring (unless you like chess, and tomatoes!) journal, @Somnos dropped off my ASD2 yesterday. There are lots of pics of the AS-D2 here already, so I will just provide an initial review ~14hrs after shaving:

Presentation/Packaging
I have to hand it to Feather, the presentation and packaging is simply top notch. Outer box is a simple white one, which isn't so simple. Instead of a standard box, the tab has folded cardboard side hinges. Kewl stuff! Inside is the glittery red box you've seen, which is make from some pretty sturdy materiel. Again, it's top notch. Opening up the box, I though the foam would be the light grey foam we normally see, but this is dense foam that is quite rigid. Just opening the package, you feel like you're unboxing an expensive item. Kudos, feather.

The Razor
Taking it out of the box, the first thing that sprang to mind was "hefty." Just by the weight of it, you know this is a durable item. As everyone else has mentioned, the finish on this baby is top notch. Everything goes together easily and you know you're not playing with a zamak toy. Looks great too!

Great, so it has a nice box, good foam, feels hefty and looks good, whoop-de-doo... but how does it shave? Inquiring minds want to know!

The Shave
I alphabetically sorted the mini bucket-o-blades Ed dropped off (hey, I 3017 soaps and aftershaves, you KNOW I have more than a little OCD in my genes 🤪) and an ASTRA-SP is first up to bat. I've used the Astra-SP a lot years ago when I was a heavy DE user (along with Derby and Sharks, they formed my staple) so I knew this was a "safe" choice to see what's going on. Easy and smooth glide with little blade feel (that's NOT a bad thing) but I could here the whiskers dying. Finding the angle was intuitive for the most part and, rather than go nuts with 43 passes, I decided to stick to my simple 2-pass routine to gauge the result.

About 5 hours later (noonish), it was easy to feel stubble on on my left jawline; the right one felt normal. I grow whiskers fairly quickly, but that area sort of felt like a 5pm rather than noon growth. The rest of the face and neck were feeling quite normal. Sitting here at 9pm, I can shave again, but that's not a knock as I used to 2-a-day quite often 10-15 years ago.

So, shave-1 was a success. I've mix up my angles a little more tomorrow to see if I can tweak the jawline result as well as play with those swirly neck hairs. Given how gentle this razor is, I think I can do a lot more on my neck than with a normal DE or straight, and probably a bit more than with my injector.

So far, so good.

Is it mild? Yes.
Is that an issue? Not for me, it isn't.

I've used mild, aggressive, straights, shavettes, injectors, carts, electrics, etc.... The key for me is: Can I get a great result without irritation? And the Feather seems to be well on it's way to passing this test. I'm sure that I will have various highs and lows as I run through Ed's blade sampler pack (Thanks Ed!) over then next few months. Hopefully I will find a few blades that stand out as exceptional in the ASD2 for me.

Thanks to everyone that participated in the pass-around. I found your opinions and insights both educational and entertaining!

Glad the first outing was a good one Sam, looking forward to more reviews with the different blades!

Back