The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Feather ASD2 pass-around

If you're the last southerner to have it (more might come on), send me a PM when it comes shipping time and we'll get it taken care of. As a guideline, probably would be about the same as the razor+brush you sent me last year.
Thanks Sam! I kind of forgot about that. I just wasn't sure with the box and all. Boxes increase the rate significantly. I am willing to pay shipment...I am just trying to plan to make sure the boss of finances doesn't freak out.

I live in Europe, can I also participate?
Alas, due to the costs/time mentioned in post-1 for going outside the US/CAN (heck, even US->CAN or vice versa is expensive enough) and the uncertainty of international mail right now, I'd like to keep this as a 2-leg pass-around (USA = leg-1, CAN = leg-2).

Any other folks State-Side want to try this one once @dangerousdon is done?
Also in Canada want it before it goes to our friendly neighbourhood spiderman (no, wait, he's had it already) supermodel?

US
1. Majorrich (done!)
2. Spider (done, bought 1!)
3. Dave in KY (ran away, bought his own then sold it pronto!)
4. BarberDave (done! bought 1)
5. dangerousdon (en route)

CAN
1. ...
99. Somnos (last in CAN leg, before returning to my dogsbody)

Any other folks State-Side want to try this one once @dangerousdon is done?
Also in Canada want it before it goes to our friendly neighbourhood spiderman (no, wait, he's had it already) supermodel?

US
1. Majorrich (done!)

CAN
1. ...
I will get in. Have always been curious about this razor.

US
1. Majorrich (done!)
6.LBKINDY

CAN
1. ...

Tracking originally said that it was to be delivered on Friday. Well that didn't happen. Looks like the package is at least local now and should be delivered on Monday. Just wanted to update the thread!

Received the razor yesterday in the mail. Looking forward to using it today. I'll make sure I post my thoughts about it. Thanks Sam @woodpusher for letting use us this wonderful razor!

Updated List

US
1. Majorrich (done!)
5. dangerousdon (In Possession)
6.LBKINDY

CAN
1. ...

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic Tuxedo Beehive 26mm Shaving Brush
The Ultimate Aftershave: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper

1594208132591.png

The ASD2 razor comes with the reputation that it is an unusually mild razor. I think that is a bit of a misnomer. I think it can be a mild razor, but when one says the razor is mild, we think that it's not all that efficient. This razor is plenty efficient, and is deceptively more aggressive than one would think. I used a brand new Feather Hi-Stainless blade. Sam has generously but a tuck of blades in the package, but I will leave those for future participants. I had about two and a half days worth of growth...so I thought it was a perfect time to shave. I initially did my WtG pass and decided to do another WtG because of the amount of stubble I left behind. Then on to the XtG and the AtG passes. I thought I would push it a bit and did some cleanup that never really goes well for me. In the end...yeah...I should have just kept to three passes with minor cleanup. Also...I found myself pressing too hard on subsequent passes because I didn't think (at the time) that my strokes were taking off enough hair. In the end I had a really nice shave...but with some minor irritation on the neck. I should have kept to the three passes and I am certain I would have had an absolutely amazing shave. Oh, well, Sam has told me to keep this razor for a bit to use it...so that is what I plan to do. In future shaves I will post about the weight and feel of the razor as well as other things I learn about it.

nice Don and same results as me, so when are you getting one? LOL Try the Voskhod!
Whoa! There Horsey! Whoa there! I've only shaved with it once. I do like it so far. Weight, handle length, and other metrics are right there. But I definitely need to check it out a bit more. I am going to give the Feather Hi-Stainless blade a couple more shaves. Then I plan to move on to either the Voskhod (as you suggest) or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (my go to blade for now). When I am done with that one...then I will try the other blade. But so far I am liking the razor.

Whoa! There Horsey! Whoa there! I've only shaved with it once. I do like it so far. Weight, handle length, and other metrics are right there. But I definitely need to check it out a bit more. I am going to give the Feather Hi-Stainless blade a couple more shaves. Then I plan to move on to either the Voskhod (as you suggest) or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (my go to blade for now). When I am done with that one...then I will try the other blade. But so far I am liking the razor.

I'm curious, how does it compare to other, more reasonably priced, 'mild' razors like a tech for example?

Back