The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2022 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!!

Fasting is working out great for me. I cannot believe how easy it is. I'm on day 10. I have no hunger pains that tell me i need to eat. I get little rumblings, but usually they go away when I down some water. And 'm full of energy,

Honestly, it's very freeing to know that our bodies don't need food every day.

I may break this fast tomorrow, because honestly, I just miss food, and I want to taste something. And that's the kicker with fasting.... the desire to eat vs. the need to eat. Will power is key to defeat the desire to eat.

If I break it this weekend, I'll be switching to a 5 day a week fast, with refeeds happening on the weekends.

I've tried, unsuccessfull, to track what I eat. I should probably give that a try again, even if it isn't a super organized highly detailed record.
I am trying to be more aware of the little things and hopefully use that to my advantage.
I know it is a super pain in the but. No one likes to track what they eat. But I will tell you, anytime I try something different in my diet, I track it for two weeks. I never suggest tracking any longer than that unless you really want to. But in two weeks you can learn a lot and you can get a good idea of how much something is. This year I started using Cronometer for my food diary. It's free and has one of the biggest catalogues of food out there.

But honestly, the biggest advise I can give to anyone trying to make a dent in their weight loss goals is to transition to a whole food diet. Eliminate sugar and grains. And I guarantee that your health will improve.

Remember, the best diet out there is one that you will stick to. Make small changes until your confident to make big ones. If you even want to make big ones. It's your health...you have to take charge. What works for some may not work for you. I am always fiddling with my diet trying to figure out what is optimal for me and what diet I thrive on.

If you want to try fasting, and be successful, it’s best to do a slow and deliberate process.

First, start out by going low carb or keto for a week or two. You want your body to be fat adapted. That is, you want to train your body to seek out fat as an energy source, rather than carbs.

Then, ease into fasting. Skip breakfast for a week. Drink only black coffee, water, or black/green tea during your fasting window.

After that, shrink your eating window to 6 hours. So start lunch at noon and finish dinner by 6, or shift to the right however you need. Do this for one week. This it a very common 18/6 fast. Many people do this every day and sustain or lose weight doing this alone.

A week is general. It’s just enough time to get your body used to it. If you find one phase easy, you can shorten it.

If you want to go further, gradually shrink your eating window to just one hour a day. A 23/1 fast, also called OMAD or One Meal A Day. I try to do this most days.

The true benefits of fasting come from fasts beyond 24 hours. Initially try 36 hours, then 48, and beyond.

Hunger pangs will come, and when they do, fill your gut with water. It’s a mental game, you have to want to do it.

Electrolytes are important too. You need to be taking in potassium, sodium, and magnesium for fasts beyond 24-48 hours.

If anyone decides to try this, ask me for more info. There are way more benefits to fasting than just weight loss. Research Autophagy!
Mystics and shamans ritualistically fast.

For me, a low carb diet seems to work best. I don't snack, other than coffee in the mornings. I haven't been able to compromise that. I use plastic cream and raw sugar in it, both no-no's but that's how I enjoy it. I pretty much eat just the dinner meal between 5 and 6 and make sure that's it.

I have some back issues, skeletal with no surgical options, so I have to watch what exercises I do. Biking works the best for me... low impact, but I pulled a hamstring back in January and at my age (almost 69), injuries heal up more slowly than they did years back. It's almost better now, so I should be back on my bike in a week or so. We'll see.

I hate this whole process of weight loss.... I was down to my fighting weight around 6 years ago and like an idiot, let my weight creep up a bit every year to where I am now. Gaining weight is one of the things I'm extremely good at. It's a gift, I tell you. ;)

For me, a low carb diet seems to work best. I don't snack, other than coffee in the mornings. I haven't been able to compromise that. I use plastic cream and raw sugar in it, both no-no's but that's how I enjoy it. I pretty much eat just the dinner meal between 5 and 6 and make sure that's it.

I have some back issues, skeletal with no surgical options, so I have to watch what exercises I do. Biking works the best for me... low impact, but I pulled a hamstring back in January and at my age (almost 69), injuries heal up more slowly than they did years back. It's almost better now, so I should be back on my bike in a week or so. We'll see.

I hate this whole process of weight loss.... I was down to my fighting weight around 6 years ago and like an idiot, let my weight creep up a bit every year to where I am now. Gaining weight is one of the things I'm extremely good at. It's a gift, I tell you. ;)
It seems fundamentally that you might be doing things right. You just need to find the right combination of macros. If I might suggest tracking your protein intake and seeing where you are at. Sometimes people don't realize they are not getting enough protein. And since protein is generally filling...it helps to put us in a calorie deficit.

As an aside on exercise...exercise is great. We all should do some form of it. But exercise will only aid us a little in weight loss. It's more for the heart and muscles. Riding your bike is great. I love doing bike rides myself and wish I could do more of it. I would suggest trying to do a little resistance training. I am not talking about super heavy weights or anything. And with your back issues you definitely don't want to screw anything up. But maybe start out with some resistance bands and some light workouts. I know a lot of people crap on resistance bands. I am in the middle of new program where a lot of the exercises are done with resistance bands. And I am going to tell you...man can I feel it! You don't even have to do them for a long time. I was reading a study the other day where there were two groups doing resistance band strength training. Nothing overly strenuous. One group did the exercises for 20 minutes a day, five days a week. The other group did two 10 minute sessions (total of 20 minutes a day) at any time in the day (meaning it didn't have to be just morning and evening it was just two sessions split up in the day for convenience). The results for both groups were typically the same. But both groups strengthened ad/or increased muscles. Another study I read determined that you can do strength training twice a week and help maintain what you have. Three times a week and you enter a building phase. I know these are over simplified, but you get the idea. I heard a podcast where a guy does some stretches and body weight exercises in his PJs while he waits for his coffee to be made in the morning, and it yields results. That's about a 10 minute time frame.

My point is, there is something that we all can do no matter our condition. And we don't have to spend hours in the gym or miles running. Even stretching only improves circulation and flexibility so we don't end up confined to our beds later in life. All forms of exercise are good for the body and the brain! Exercise stimulates neuro pathways. It literally can make us smarter.

Long post, sorry...I just wanted to share with you some things that you might be able to do even with a bad back. I might not have an injury like you are others here have...but years of humping a 100 pound pack in the military has left me with degenerative disc disease. It wasn't until I started strength training that the pain in my back resided. I do recommend seeing an Ortho or Physical Therapist though to determine which back exercises are right for you.

Hope you get things figured out!

I thought I would share an interesting conversation I had last week with my nutritionist.

A little background: As I alluded to some time ago, my insurance plan covers the cost of a number of health related App based service so I chose to enroll in one of the services. The service I enrolled in is intended to "pre-vent or delay type 2 diabetes" and includes an assigned coach. In my case, the coach is an actual (professional) nutritionist who operates her own business outside the parameters of the program. The program itself is very much focused on attempting to help change habits and develop a new long term eating style and their recommended diet is essential the "my-plate" guidelines authored by and pushed the U.S. Government.

For more than a month I had attempted to follow the guidelines but, as expected, I found the amount of non-starch vegetables a problem. My weight had fallen some but at the rate of loss I was experiencing I would die an old man before reaching my goal weight. Finally, I decided to do something I knew had worked well for me in the past...Very Low Carb (not keto). My wife was gone for a week so I bought 5 large ribeyes and some peppered bacon. After consuming nothing but coffee (usually with some milk) in the morning, I ate as much RibEye as I could stuff down my throat at night. On a few occasions I added spinach or roasted broccoli to my meal (man needs a little roughage right?) As expected, my hunger was more controlled, my body began to feel better (after a couple days) and I started loosing weight again.

The phone call: I noticed my "coach" was calling me from a different number, when I asked about it she told me she was calling from her personal cell # because the computer system she would normally make the calls through was down. After a few minutes of casual conversation we began talking about what I had been eating and how I was feeling. I told her about my week of RibEye and how I had begun to loose weight again , had less hunger and even felt better. That is when she opened up. She told me that since she was calling from her personal cell not the programs phone lines, she could tell me what she REALLY thinks. She went on to tell me how the "my-plate" guidelines pushed by the program aren't necessarily what she would recommend in her own practice. She even said MOST people experience discomfort, bloat and inflammation as a result of consuming so much veg and she often advises eating less green and more proteins AND fat. She suggested my general fatigue and pain was likely a result of too much oxalate being consumed via the vegetables in my diet (more so than the sugar and starch I might have been consuming).

Long story short, she recommended I eat vegetables with low/lower amounts of oxalates, avoid starches/sugar, avoid "crop" based oils (corn, soybean etc) in favor of "healthy fats" such as olive oil, avocado oil, butter and ghee. She told me she wasn't recommending the bun-less cheeseburger and bacon approach of the old style Atkins diet but that a focus on low carb, more healthy fats and lean protein was a better approach for me.

I found it interesting that had I not decided to go on a ribeye binge AND she had not made the call from her personal phone line this conversation, and her ultimate recommendations, might not have occurred.

Mystics and shamans ritualistically fast.
Indeed. Many cultures and religions practice fasting. It seems the practice has been lost in the western world… or at least the US, as a whole.

You talk about fasting to most people here, and they think you are crazy, or that you’re going to starve yourself. They think it will cause an eating disorder. There is much we have forgotten, as a society, about the benefits of fasting.

I thought I would share an interesting conversation I had last week with my nutritionist.

A little background: As I alluded to some time ago, my insurance plan covers the cost of a number of health related App based service so I chose to enroll in one of the services. The service I enrolled in is intended to "pre-vent or delay type 2 diabetes" and includes an assigned coach. In my case, the coach is an actual (professional) nutritionist who operates her own business outside the parameters of the program. The program itself is very much focused on attempting to help change habits and develop a new long term eating style and their recommended diet is essential the "my-plate" guidelines authored by and pushed the U.S. Government.

For more than a month I had attempted to follow the guidelines but, as expected, I found the amount of non-starch vegetables a problem. My weight had fallen some but at the rate of loss I was experiencing I would die an old man before reaching my goal weight. Finally, I decided to do something I knew had worked well for me in the past...Very Low Carb (not keto). My wife was gone for a week so I bought 5 large ribeyes and some peppered bacon. After consuming nothing but coffee (usually with some milk) in the morning, I ate as much RibEye as I could stuff down my throat at night. On a few occasions I added spinach or roasted broccoli to my meal (man needs a little roughage right?) As expected, my hunger was more controlled, my body began to feel better (after a couple days) and I started loosing weight again.

The phone call: I noticed my "coach" was calling me from a different number, when I asked about it she told me she was calling from her personal cell # because the computer system she would normally make the calls through was down. After a few minutes of casual conversation we began talking about what I had been eating and how I was feeling. I told her about my week of RibEye and how I had begun to loose weight again , had less hunger and even felt better. That is when she opened up. She told me that since she was calling from her personal cell not the programs phone lines, she could tell me what she REALLY thinks. She went on to tell me how the "my-plate" guidelines pushed by the program aren't necessarily what she would recommend in her own practice. She even said MOST people experience discomfort, bloat and inflammation as a result of consuming so much veg and she often advises eating less green and more proteins AND fat. She suggested my general fatigue and pain was likely a result of too much oxalate being consumed via the vegetables in my diet (more so than the sugar and starch I might have been consuming).

Long story short, she recommended I eat vegetables with low/lower amounts of oxalates, avoid starches/sugar, avoid "crop" based oils (corn, soybean etc) in favor of "healthy fats" such as olive oil, avocado oil, butter and ghee. She told me she wasn't recommending the bun-less cheeseburger and bacon approach of the old style Atkins diet but that a focus on low carb, more healthy fats and lean protein was a better approach for me.

I found it interesting that had I not decided to go on a ribeye binge AND she had not made the call from her personal phone line this conversation, and her ultimate recommendations, might not have occurred.
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.

This makes me very happy! Someone who takes a reasonable and personalized approach! It's the way it should be. Now...let's work on getting those beef prices down so we can all eat ribeyes! As an aside...ground beef will do the same thing...but ribeyes are so tastey!

Back