The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Yesterday's Workout...

Started the day off with a light walk in the morning to get things going...

1585758547570.png

Later in the day I did my workout.

Started off with the planking exercises that Cole suggested...I added a forearm plank in there as well. I am starting off with just 30 seconds each. My goal is to increase the time by 15 seconds each week.

Standard Plank (that's what I am calling them for now)
Forearm Plank
Side Plank (left and right side)

(3x15)
Crunches
Flutter Kicks
Reverse Crunches
Dumbbell Wood Chop
Standing Weighted Twist

Then I finished the day off with a Bike Ride...

1585759964013.png

Yesterday's Workout...

Started the day off with a light walk in the morning to get things going...

View attachment 19932

Later in the day I did my workout.

Started off with the planking exercises that Cole suggested...I added a forearm plank in there as well. I am starting off with just 30 seconds each. My goal is to increase the time by 15 seconds each week.

Standard Plank (that's what I am calling them for now)
Forearm Plank

(3x15)
Crunches
Flutter Kicks
Reverse Crunches
Dumbbell Wood Chop
Standing Weighted Twist

Then I finished the day off with a Bike Ride...

View attachment 19933

30s is a great start! Since the forearm and standard are basically the same, just do one of each.
15s is a 50% increase so you'll probably bottom out fast doing that. Try this instead, if you're open to it.
Add another round every week or two, until you hit five. Then add time and go back down to 2.

30s is a great start! Since the forearm and standard are basically the same, just do one of each.
15s is a 50% increase so you'll probably bottom out fast doing that. Try this instead, if you're open to it.
Add another round every week or two, until you hit five. Then add time and go back down to 2.
Sounds like a plan. I know a 15 sec increase is a lot to begin with...but I thought it was manageable. But I like your way better. By the way...those side planks..yeah they are really hard!

Nice workout today, kind of starting to get it all dialed in.

Dips 2x
Dumbbell 1-Arm Skullcrusher 1x
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x
Offset Curl 2x
1-Arm Dumbbell Curl 2x
Dumbbell Facepull 3x
Band Reverse Flye 2x
OrbiGrip 2x

Dip Station
IMG_8129.jpeg

We ordered this guy today. You can‘t even find barbells now, I guess everyone is making home gyms. I just got lucky, I was doing my check to see if they were in stock, had just by chance checked the same page twice. First time not in stock, 1 minute later when I checked it was, and we immediately made the order. Good thing too, it’s already out of stock now.

It’s a smaller ladies bar, which is great because it’s not so long and we can use it in the tiny gym.

1585838183953.jpeg

Too busy with work today, so took the day off from weights.
Someone has settled right into this work from home thing. Remember how you used to have to take time to drive to work?

Nice workout today, kind of starting to get it all dialed in.

Dips 2x
Dumbbell 1-Arm Skullcrusher 1x
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x
Offset Curl 2x
1-Arm Dumbbell Curl 2x
Dumbbell Facepull 3x
Band Reverse Flye 2x
OrbiGrip 2x

Dip Station
View attachment 20008
I am completely amazed at your home gym...with all the interesting equipment and how practical it is!

We ordered this guy today. You can‘t even find barbells now, I guess everyone is making home gyms. I just got lucky, I was doing my check to see if they were in stock, had just by chance checked the same page twice. First time not in stock, 1 minute later when I checked it was, and we immediately made the order. Good thing too, it’s already out of stock now.

It’s a smaller ladies bar, which is great because it’s not so long and we can use it in the tiny gym.

View attachment 20011

Just looked this guy up! That is a really nice bar! Made in the US and not Chinese steal! Normally I would say it's a little on the pricey side of things...but this is actually one of the more affordable high quality bars out there!

Started the day off with a light walk in the morning...

1585843746235.png
Afternoon Workout

Went on to my planks (30 Seconds Each)...

Forearm Plank
Table Plank

Continued to weights...

Dead Lifts 3x15
Cleans 3x10
Overhead Press 3x10
Combo Move 1x10 (all three above combined in the same move)
Bicep Curls 3x20
Half Bicep Curls (from Bottom) 3x15
Half Bicep Curls (from Middle) 3x15
Overhead Tricep Extensions 3x15
Chest Press (lying on ground) 3x15

Couldn't figure out why I finished up so quickly...later realized I forgot to do my squats and lunges. I'll have to make up for that today. Had every intention to do a hike with 20 lbs in the pack...but started to get some intestinal cramping. So I will get it on again this afternoon!

I am completely amazed at your home gym...with all the interesting equipment and how practical it is!

Just looked this guy up! That is a really nice bar! Made in the US and not Chinese steal! Normally I would say it's a little on the pricey side of things...but this is actually one of the more affordable high quality bars out there!

Thanks Don, when I was coaching, I liked to train at home, just to have some peace away from the gym, and I've always been a bit of a gear nerd. That and having a small space meant it had to be efficient or it wouldn't work.

Rogue has great value for money bars, that and the men's version, the Ohio Bar are probably the best value for money you can find for a barbell, at least that I know.

Love this excerpt from the Jocko Podcast. He says elsewhere that he thinks a home gym is really important. To have a space that is your own and away from everyone to do your thing is important to him!

Back/shoulders yesterday, plus a 2.5+ mile walk. 3:25 plank.

3:30 plank today, plus speed training. Pull ups to failure, then 3 x 10 cheating sets. Finished with sets starting at 21 and descending by 3 of ab wheel and leg raises. Probably walk later because it’s beautiful in Michigan!

Bench Press 3x
Bench Press down sets 2x
Dumbbell Flye 2x
Band High to Low Flye 1x

Barbell Curls 4x
Front Chest Pull 4x

Front Chest Pull is that classic every old timer knows.

Legs today, I'm trying to not to use the basement, and wanted to test if in principle a squat rack would wok in the training room.

Ghetto Squats (super low weight, didn't want to push this lame set up) 3x
Belt Squats 2x
Band 1-Leg Curl 2x
Leg Lifts
Calf Raises

I’ve gotten lazy about posting here, but still lifting most days (NOT skipping leg day!). On the days I don’t lift, I’ve been able to play golf—which is great! I walk 5+ miles on those days up and down a bunch of hills (farther depending on how bad I play 😂), so I think that counts! In fact, that’s what I did today. Played quite well for me, 82 with a birdie. Still early days with the speed training, but it combined with the weights seems to be helping my game. It felt like I had a bit extra today if I wanted it.

I’ve gotten lazy about posting here, but still lifting most days (NOT skipping leg day!). On the days I don’t lift, I’ve been able to play golf—which is great! I walk 5+ miles on those days up and down a bunch of hills (farther depending on how bad I play 😂), so I think that counts! In fact, that’s what I did today. Played quite well for me, 82 with a birdie. Still early days with the speed training, but it combined with the weights seems to be helping my game. It felt like I had a bit extra today if I wanted it.

That sounds pretty nice. My dad, the navy seal was a big golfer too.

The worst thing about living in the city center now, is I literally don’t get out at all. 5 weeks now.
That’s always been one of the best things about living where I do, I walk everywhere, so probably average a couple of miles a day. I can feel the lack of it for sure.

Back