The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Todayā€™s workout:

2:40 of plank torture

Burpees - 2 x 30 reps (so hard!)
One arm back row - 3 x 10
Lat pulls - 3 x 10
Overhead tricep extension - 3 x 10
Bench tricep extension - 3 x 10
Tricep pushups - 3 x 20
Sit ups with weight - 3 x 10

I also added a new component to the workout routine todayā€”golf swing speed training. Itā€™s kind of an interesting concept. The program Iā€™m following uses three different weighted ā€œclubsā€ (weights on the end of shafts). The lightest is 20% lighter than an average driver, the medium is 10% lighter, and the heavy is 10% heavier. After doing some warm ups, the idea is to make a progression of faster and faster swings using the various clubs. The goal is to ā€œtrickā€ the body into moving faster than it does in normal athletic activities. Itā€™s called ā€œoverspeedā€ training. Apparently itā€™s used by a lot of top athletes in different sportsā€”golf for sure (Mickelson is a big proponent), but also baseball and tennis. The first stage is a 6 week program, 3 times a week. Weā€™ll see what kind of gains I see...

Stiff Leg Deadlift 7 8 9
Sumo Belt Squat 17 15
Step Back Lunge 12/12
45 degree Back Raise 14
1-Leg Calf Raise 10 10 10 10
Calf Raise 60

The Mrs and I shared the tiny space today, which was fine until I did the 2nd set of belt squats and suddenly was feeling less sociable.

Last edited:
Don't worry Cole @HMan I'll get plenty of exercise today! This week I sort of winged it a bit...but next week I am going to be a little more regimented.

I almost whimped out today (too much wine last night), but I didnā€™t!

Planky planky 2:50

Jumping jacks - 2 x 30 seconds
Chest press - 3 x 8
Incline chest press - 3 x 8
Chest flys - 3 x 8
Biceps curl - 3 x 8
Biceps curl with supination - 3 x 8
V-sit with punches - 3 x 20
V ups - 3 x 20

@JWS VII Well it looks like your Planking App is for IOS only. Apple products are not my jam (I have some philosophical differences with some aspects of their business model...okay maybe not philosophical...but just differences). But I am in search for a good app (there seems to be a bunch of them) and I want to start a planking routine.

@JWS VII Well it looks like your Planking App is for IOS only. Apple products are not my jam (I have some philosophical differences with some aspects of their business model...okay maybe not philosophical...but just differences). But I am in search for a good app (there seems to be a bunch of them) and I want to start a planking routine.
Bummer... Iā€™m sure the other apps are just as good. You certainly donā€™t NEED an app, but it is helpful to have a program with reminders, etc., as it pressures you to keep going.

1585485837900.gif

Bummer... Iā€™m sure the other apps are just as good. You certainly donā€™t NEED an app, but it is helpful to have a program with reminders, etc., as it pressures you to keep going.

View attachment 19687
Believe me...I need guidance! In more ways than one.

This time at home using the stuff I have has made me wonder if I really need a gym membership. I liked the gym because it was really easy. It was literally across the street from my place of work. Just so convenient. Plus I liked a lot of the classes. Anyway...doing some workouts from home I am realizing with a minimal investment with what I have...I can accomplish the same things. The downside to this is that I have to more disciplined and motivated. Anyway...looks like I will be looking out for a bench and a straight bar to begin with.

Rest day from the weights. I still did a 3:00 minute plank and my second installment of speed training. Itā€™s a total of 18 HARD swings on your dominant side and then on your non-dominant side, with a conclusion of 3 REALLY HARD swings on your dominant side with the lightest club. Even though itā€™s not that many, itā€™s hard work to put that much effort into each swing. The lefty swings are also pretty awkward, although better and faster today than my first attempts!

I'm surprised myself at how much I can do and the great results I'm getting from home.

Motivation isn't a big problem for me, it's sort of backed in to may and my wife's lifestyle at this point. It would be much harder not to train, and probably harder for everyone around me as I get kinda grumpy and weird without it.

I'm getting great mind body connection at home, I don't feel pressured to get done so the next person can use what I'm using.

Anyway, here's a little video of my warming up with Indian Clubs, one of my favorite fun fitness tools.

I'm surprised myself at how much I can do and the great results I'm getting from home.

Motivation isn't a big problem for me, it's sort of backed in to may and my wife's lifestyle at this point. It would be much harder not to train, and probably harder for everyone around me as I get kinda grumpy and weird without it.

I'm getting great mind body connection at home, I don't feel pressured to get done so the next person can use what I'm using.

Anyway, here's a little video of my warming up with Indian Clubs, one of my favorite fun fitness tools.

That's awesome Cole! I have always wanted to try out Indian Clubs. Believe me though...I would have to practice a lot with them or else I would just knock myself in the head!

That's awesome Cole! I have always wanted to try out Indian Clubs. Believe me though...I would have to practice a lot with them or else I would just knock myself in the head!

I've knocked myself a few times, I suppose that explains some things. :)

Juggling clubs are a great way to start, they don't hurt as bad when you hit yourself.

Back