The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

HMan

Doften Savant
Post something you did at home to stay fit!

I've been stress testing the home gym and about to go into full swing.

Heres a clip from one of this week workouts, don't need a fancy gym for fancy machines! This actually feels better than most machines to me.

I have pulled out the few weights that I acquired somewhere along the line. The need to be cleaned up...but all in all there is enough there to do a good bit.

85 pounds of free weights
A Curl Bar (16 pounds - not ideal but I can make this work for a lot of things)
2 x 5 pound hand weights
2 x 8 pound hand weights
2 x 10 pound hand weights

The YMCA where I normally work out at is doing their regular classes by video, so I can still participate with the things I have. I am probably going to give this a try starting Monday.

1584886745882.png

Nice Don, post some of your workouts here, it's fun to see what other people are doing.

Today's workout -

Bench Press 7r 6r 5r
DB Flye 14r 12r
Incline DB Bench 15r
1- Arm Low to High Band Flye 15r
Front Chest Pull 18r 14r 11r
Barbell Curl 15r 13r 11r

Dang Cole! You have an incredible home gym! Very efficient too!

Today:
High Bar Squat 9 9
Belt Squat 13 12
Hanging Leg Lift 10 9
Glute Ham Raise (Ersatz) 10 8
Calf Raises

I’d been lifting a couple of times a week for the last two months or so. That’s increased to daily since captivity started. Luckily I have a nice adjustable set of dumbbells (5-60 lbs; 2.5 lb increments to 25 and 5 lb increments to 60) and bench in my basement. I’ve been doing workout program on an app. Nothing too crazy (7-8 exercises; takes 25-35 minutes to complete), but plenty to get a good workout. Here was today’s regimen (chest/arms):

- Mountain Climbers, 2 x 30 seconds
- Push ups - 3 x 20 reps
- Incline Chest Press - 3 x 10 reps
- Incline Chest Flys - 3 x 10 reps
- Bicep Curl with Supination - 3 x 10 reps
- Squat with Bicep Curl - 3 x 10 reps
- V Ups - 3 x 20 reps

6073A6D6-5929-497F-B91E-298FFACD7F29.jpeg

I’ve also been doing plank challenges. If you hate yourself If you want to get a good workout without any equipment, I highly recommend the 30-day plank challenge app. Gets you doing it everyday with gradual increases. By the end of beginner level 2, you do a 4:30 minute plank! That’s pretty impressive.

Finally, I recently received as a gift the torture device pictured below. You assume the plank position on this thing and put your phone in the slot. You then play games by rotating/wobbling/balancing. I’ve been playing like a space invader game. It’s actually kind of fun (until you realize what you’re doing 😂).

5EEDF989-E2C2-4C01-B465-D2CB40FFFC09.jpeg

All to say, working out has kept me sane the last 10 days or so. Really planning to keep it up! Fortunately, I’m blessed with a very fast metabolism, but I’d gotten quite “soft” over the last few years. No one would ever confuse me for a big guy, but the last couple of months have produced some pretty decent gains in strength and definition. Tangible progress is a strong motivator.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long post! I encourage everyone to do something physical daily—particularly while we are trapped in our homes. It’s hard to get started, but gets easier as a routine develops. I’ll try to update regularly.

This thread highlights my inadequate attitude towards staying in shape, which is REALLY sad, as I used to play soccer (2x week) as well as coach (also 2x weekl). Nowadays, I'd probably puke if I had to run 5x around the field.

Back