The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Figured I'd post something here to try and keep this thread alive.

Had one of those sessions today where I felt proud of myself. That doesn't happen too often, but I wasn't sure I'd get though todays bench press session at least not as well as I did.

AM
Bench Press 2x 8 7 3x 8 7 6 downset
Dumbbell Flye 1x 15
Upright Row 3x 12 11 10

PM
Barbell Biceps Curl 3x 16 15 14
Barbell Triceps Overhead Extension 1x 12
Front Chest Pull 1x 22
Wrist Curls 3x 10 10 10

Leg day -

High Bar Squat 1x 7 3x 10 9 8
Belt Squat 1x 20 1x 16
Standing Leg Curl 4x 10 10 10 10

I can't wait to get a decent rack, absolutely can't push squats at all without proper safeties.

33 mins on my elliptical's GLUT workout with a weight setting of a sack of potatoes extra.

In 4 years, I might be able to get through this without getting winded. 😅💦

Once again, 33 mins on my elliptical's GLUT workout with a weight setting of a sack of potatoes extra. Chatted with my mom on Facetime, which provided even more cardio work. 🕺

33 mins on my elliptical's GLUT workout this morning.

Did some research into our machine (a Precor EFX 5.17i that we purchased about 15 years ago ... still works flawlessly!) and the "weight" input setting is only used to guesstimate/calculate calories burned. It doesn't affect resistance or anything else. So much for my sense of accomplishment. :cautious:

A little more than a half hour shoveling slushy snow ❄️⛄❄️ that fell overnight and this morning. Sometimes having an 80' frontage and a 4-car driveway (if you count the boulevard area; hey, it's got to be shoveled as well, ya know :sneaky: ) isn't the best thing to have.

Now that I've potentially tweaked my back ☃️, it's time to head to the basement for my 33 mins on the elliptical.

Last edited:
I feel off the workout wagon about a month ago but have picked it back up several days a week now...I either do my light cardio (20 min on treadmill at it’s max incline, power walking (so I can focus on Netflix on my phone of course 🤷‍♂️)) or upper body: bicep and tricep curls, push-ups, and either planks or my new favorite, rolling the dumbbells on the floor like those gimmicky ab roller things 👍

I hate running so the power walking incline is as good as it’s going to get

Pushed a little harder (140 strides per min -vs- normal 120) on the lighter resistance phases of the elliptical's 33 min workout and managed to bump my overall stride count from 39xx to 41xx. The cardio is coming around as I could probably do another full program, but I'll wait until mid-month to do to 45 mins and see how that feels. Abs and other core muscles are getting toned as well, which is a bonus.

Back to my steady 120 strides per min this morning for my 33 min elliptical workout, as my calves (Mooo! 🐮🐮) were feeling a little tight this morning. I did have a Facetime partner as my 83 year old mom joined in for 12 mins on her treadmill. Good for her!

33 min elliptical this morning; went no-hands as my lats have been tight these past few days. Most likely, I have been "cheating" on my stride and figured no-hands will help ensure form is correct. No octogenarian mom joined me this morning, as she was making soup. 🍲

I've been doing online coaching with a natural bodybuilding coach. Just finishing my 2nd mesocycle.

It's been really nice, I've always done my own programming, but was having problems with some of the dietary side of it. He really helped me take control there. I was using an app before. It was a good start but knowing how to figure out meal plans on my own is so much better. But a lot of work at first.

He's also helped me work though a couple of basic programming issues I was having. No big deal, but seeing how someone else does it is really helpful.

Anyway, training 6 x a week twice a day. Heavy session, then a meal break and a light isolation movement session.
M: Bench Press / Incline Flye / JM Press / Lateral Raise || Calf Raises
Tu: Barbell Row / Chest Supported Row / Pull Down || DB Facepull / EZ Bar Curl
W: Squat / Split Squat / Hamstring Curls || Incline Lateral Raise / Wrist Curl
Th: Incline Bench Press / Flat Dumbbell Press / DB Triceps Extension || DB Lateral Raise / Calf Raise
F: Pull Up / High Row / Chest Supported Row || Spider Curl / Rear Delt Flye
Sa: Sumo Deadlift / Hamstring Curl / Belt Squat || Incline DB Curl / Wrist Curl

Each week training gets progressively harder, by getting closer to failure. So the last week, sets end when I don't feel I can do another.

Maybe not the greatest idea to be doing this as Christmas is coming up, but since it's just me and Helena this year, I'm ok with it, and she claims to be too.

Back