The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Today: 60 min walk on this gorgeous morning!

Rest day today, hallelujah! Cardio Flow KILLED last night! By the end I had nothing left in the gas tank and I was slipping all over the floor from all the sweat. AGAIN, I feel like this has to to with eating a mostly keto diet. I have started eating more carbs, around 30-40g a day, but I think I will fully transition to low carb/Paleo after the weight loss challenge is over. I am starting to really hit a wall with the Cardio and my energy level and I think this is holding me back.

This morning: 60 min walk with Iryna, it was awesome!

Afternoon: 80 Day Obsession day 39 Booty day. The squat to hip hinge 3X10 was intense, especially with two 35 lb dumbbell!

Yesterday was rest day and it was much needed! I ate really well, about 2000 calories of good nutrient rich foods and still weighed in at 182.6 this morning. Still down 51lbs.

Putting in the work! I had to ring out my shirt at the end, it was so full of sweat!
D0EB772C-4C43-4687-BED8-EC4EAB22C7A3.jpeg
EB1CB389-81F7-4020-A525-526C573FDF11.jpeg

This morning: 60 min walk with Iryna, it was awesome!

Afternoon: 80 Day Obsession day 39 Booty day. The squat to hip hinge 3X10 was intense, especially with two 35 lb dumbbell!

Yesterday was rest day and it was much needed! I ate really well, about 2000 calories of good nutrient rich foods and still weighed in at 182.6 this morning. Still down 51lbs.

Putting in the work! I had to ring out my shirt at the end, it was so full of sweat!
View attachment 52651
View attachment 52652
That face 😂
7F5912A8-DCF9-4784-96A4-609486FCAB8E.gif

Today: Woke up a bit late and needed to come into the office for some meetings, so all exercise will be this evening.

Later this evening: 80 Day obsession Day 40, Cardio Core.

My work offers a health and fitness scan up to 4 times a year and I decided to see where I stand. Here are some of the take aways:

1. Technically with my weight and height I have a BMI of 29.1 which makes me overweight?? I know that BMI is an extremely flawed number, so I'm not really worried about this.
2. My fat mass is 54.25 lbs and 28.5 %, which is mind blowing. I would never guess that I still have that much fat to loose on my body. SO I guess I have a long way to go even after loosing 50lbs. I'm actually just below the obesity range, so that shows just how big I was. My hope is that I can bring this % down to the 19-23% range in the next 2-3 months.
3. Skeletal Muscle Mass was 66.94lbs
4. Waist Circumference 35"
5. I'm down about 20lbs from my last scan in 7/2019

I think the key take away is that I'm on the right path, but I have a long way to go. It's great that I've done well so far, but I can do so much more for my health. I think this meeting confirms my thoughts that I want to adjust my diet to more of a low carb/Mediterranean diet. I'm going to do some reading on a book called "How to eat" by David Katz, to see some different info.

Matt, you've done a great job so far. It's a long haul, in a way, but when it becomes part of your lifestyle, it's just you living your life.

Those machines can be fairly inaccurate, looking at your pic I'd have guessed closer to 24% bf, but the main take home is there's work to do, and it just takes it's own time. The main thing for me has always been about enjoying the ride.

I'll tell you I don't have good genetics at all for putting on muscle, but after doing the thing I had great genitics for, for 20 years, building some muscle as I get older just seemed like a logical choice. It's been a super slow road, but I started at 125 lbs. so when I look back, 165 lbs seems ok. It's just time and being consistent.

I took a brief peak at the Katz book, looks solid!

Matt, you've done a great job so far. It's a long haul, in a way, but when it becomes part of your lifestyle, it's just you living your life.

Those machines can be fairly inaccurate, looking at your pic I'd have guessed closer to 24% bf, but the main take home is there's work to do, and it just takes it's own time. The main thing for me has always been about enjoying the ride.

I'll tell you I don't have good genetics at all for putting on muscle, but after doing the thing I had great genitics for, for 20 years, building some muscle as I get older just seemed like a logical choice. It's been a super slow road, but I started at 125 lbs. so when I look back, 165 lbs seems ok. It's just time and being consistent.

I took a brief peak at the Katz book, looks solid!
Hey Cole,

I just ordered the Katz book, I'm sure I'll learn something new. At 35, I just want to be healthy, so as long as I feel great and enjoy what I'm doing, I'm happy! I want to make sure what ever I do, I do it safely. My biggest setbacks are always due to injury and then demotivation. I'm okay with this transformation taking a lot longer as long as I can do it without injury. In the past, rolling my ankle while running, tearing my meniscus, car accident(broken leg), Covid(depression), and partially tearing my bicep last year(trying to move a huge stone block). My mental state is wonderful and I'm excited to work out except on the Cardio Flow day(that's a butt kicking).

I have wonderful genetics for putting on muscle, but also for packing away fat and weak ankles...

Thanks!

Time to end this weight gain phase. As a rough rule, a kilo of fat comes along with a kilo of muscle gained, and I‘ve hit my fat limit. Still it’s been 6-7 months of gaining, so that’s a good long stretch.

Monday I’ll go to a maintenance phase for one or two months. The schedule will be similar, but a lot less volume, and heavier weights. And then start getting rid of the fat.

Monday
Bench Press / Incline DB Press / JM Press - Incline Row / Lateral Raise / DB Curl

Tuesday
Squat / Hamstring Curl - Calf Raise / DB Facepull / Grippers

Wednesday
Barbell Row / Vertical Pulldown - Incline Lateral Raise / EZ Bar Curl

Thursday
Incline Bench Press / Triceps Pressdown / DB Bench Press

Friday
Sumo Deadlift / Stiff Leg Deadlift / Lunge / Calf Raise

Saturday
Pull Ups / High Row / Incline Row to Chest

Had a great weekend, but I fell asleep on the couch on Saturday and missed a workout.....

Today: Went for a really nice morning walk with Iryna

Later this evening: 80 Day obsession Day 42, Leg Day!

Also starting to train for doing pull ups. I never was very good at them, so I'm starting a program to get good at them.

Have a busy day with work today, so I came in rather early. It looks like I'll only get one workout in, but we shall see.

Tonight, 80 Day Obsession Day 43, AAA(Arms, Abs, & A$$).

Something of note, 80 day obsession is glute heavy in its workouts and I never really cared. Now on the other hand, after doing 42 days and a lot of glute exercises, I've noticed a lot of change in my flabby old posterior.

Take it easy guys. @woodpusher how's momma?

This morning: 60 minute walk with Iryna

This afternoon: 80 day Obsession Day 44, Cardio Flow.

I'm pretty sore from leg day, but looking forward to cardio day. It's gonna suck, but once you get started and everything gets warmed up, you feel much better.

Have a busy day with work today, so I came in rather early. It looks like I'll only get one workout in, but we shall see.

Tonight, 80 Day Obsession Day 43, AAA(Arms, Abs, & A$$).

Something of note, 80 day obsession is glute heavy in its workouts and I never really cared. Now on the other hand, after doing 42 days and a lot of glute exercises, I've noticed a lot of change in my flabby old posterior.

Take it easy guys. @woodpusher how's momma?
You know, I've had that convo a few times with fellow coaches. Guys tend to skimp on lower body, and glutes in particular, which IMO is a big mistake, not only aesthetically but practically. Besides, just like guys enjoy ladies with nice glutes, it goes the other way too.

I'm sure Woodpusher is looking forward to your next glute post too!

Oh congrats, you're more than half way through the 80 days!

You know, I've had that convo a few times with fellow coaches. Guys tend to skimp on lower body, and glutes in particular, which IMO is a big mistake, not only aesthetically but practically. Besides, just like guys enjoy ladies with nice glutes, it goes the other way too.

I'm sure Woodpusher is looking forward to your next glute post too!

Oh congrats, you're more than half way through the 80 days!
Thanks Cole! Honestly the most my glutes would get in my old workouts were good morning's and squats. Now, I bet I do at least 10 exercises a week that focus primarily on glutes and that doesn't include all the compound exercises and supporting work they do. The wife loves the results, so I'm not complaining.

Thanks, unfortunately I'll have to stop on day 50 because of our vacation to Gulf Shores. When I get back, I was thinking about repeating week 8 and then powering through the remaining 30 days. I may take a week off at that point and start it over from the top or switch to another longer duration program. What ever I can do to keep up the progress I'm having.

I'll definitely not skimp on the glute posts, especially because of @woodpusher :LOL:

Yesterday: Rest day

This morning: 60 minute walk with Iryna

This afternoon: 80 day Obsession Day 45, Booty/Glute day(way tougher than you might think).

The 3 day Weekend was great, knocked out 80 day obsession Days 46-48. Friday was great too, it was my son's last day of school, a half day. So, we went to Grant's Farm, a really cool children's zoo owned by the Anheuser Bush family. They keep some of the Clydesdales there as well as a ton of goats and other animals.

Today: 30 min walk with a coworker

This evening: 80 Day obsession day 49, Arms abs and A$$.

Ugh.... Late workout last night.... I probably should have skipped it.. My son didn't wan to go to bed, so I was reading to him until 10:30pm... SO, of course I fell asleep on the floor and woke up at 11:15 and ended up down stairs at 11:35 and ended up working out until 12:40am.... Likely not optimal for sure and Then I was up by 5am, so I'm dragging today.

Today: Hopefully get to go for a walk with Iryna at Lunch

Later this afternoon: 80 day obsession day 50, Cardio Flow.

This will be my last workout before going on VACATION TO GULF SHORES FOR A WEEK! WOOT! Yes, I'm going to eat carbs and run on the beach! Really looking forward to it!

I'm trying to decide if I want to repeat days 44-50 when I come back and then finish out the program or if I should start it back over.... Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I may do another shorter term plan like 21 day Fix and then start 80 day again. Iryna has expressed interest in joining me in workouts again too.

Yay, running on the beach after doing BeachBody!

Is the program progressive at all? In other words do you do more of something every week, or does it just change up exercises but the amount you do is similar from week to week?

Yay, running on the beach after doing BeachBody!

Is the program progressive at all? In other words do you do more of something every week, or does it just change up exercises but the amount you do is similar from week to week?
It is definitely progressive and variable. You track your weights and should be increasing weekly if possible during each of the three phases. The exercises change every 4 weeks, but the order of the exercises and the sets change every week(3X10, 2X15) and they add to the cardio sets every phase as well (Week one 4, two 6, and three 8).

It is definitely progressive and variable. You track your weights and should be increasing weekly if possible during each of the three phases. The exercises change every 4 weeks, but the order of the exercises and the sets change every week(3X10, 2X15) and they add to the cardio sets every phase as well (Week one 4, two 6, and three 8).
Great, glad to hear it has progression and tracking.

I suppose it just depends on how you feel after the time away. Roll it back some for sure, but it might be that going all the way back to week 1 will feel too easy, and you'll just be treading water for a couple of weeks, vs dropping back say to week 2 or 3.

Back