The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

2XXw.gif

Test results are back from my ultrasound and bloodwork.
- Bursitis in my shoulder (getting a referral for some physio)

and in keeping with the "staying fit" theme :
- blood work is good,
- sugars are great,
- kidney (I used to have stones on a semi-regular basis) and urine is fine,
- PSA is normal (Woohoo!!)
- cholesterol has dropped from 4.9 to 3.8 , which is a GREAT improvement (Canada uses a different system than the US)

All in all, I am pretty gosh-darn happy. :love: Once I see the physiotherapist, we'll work on getting me back into some weight training in addition to my (nearly) 2 hours of daily walking: 1 hr lakeside with my wife at 7am, 40 mins elliptical with my mom mid-morning.

That's a lot of good news.

Bursitis is nothing serious thankfully, it's just annoying and can take a bit to get rid of. Listen to what the phisyo says, and you'll be back at it soon.

I've been seeing the physiotherapist weekly for over a month and based on progress made, we skipped this week and I will get back on some light weights. What that means is simply the barbells with no plates. I should start curls, bench press, and dumbbell rows tomorrow but no farmer's walks. We think that this is what wacked out my shoulder; even though my grip was strong enough, my joints probably were not.

In the past while, it's been walking daily with me missing maybe 3-4 days over the past month.

Had my last shoulder physio session this morning. That makes 6 in total and everything seems to have come together nicely in term of rehab. Only when I do some weird contortion stretching do I feel any impingement or pressure. Should something go awry, then we will revisit. For now, I've been told to get back into weights but to take it nice and slow on ramping up. For starters, it will just be empty barbells and dumbbells to start getting my (massive!!!) muscles working once again.

Last edited:
Had my last shoulder physio session this morning. That makes 6 in total and everything seems to have come together nicely in term of rehab. Only when I do some weird contortion stretching do I feel any impingement or pressure. Should something go awry, then we will revisit. For now, I've been told to get back into weights but to take it nice and slow on ramping up. For starters, it will just be empty barbells and dumbbells to start getting my (massive!!!) muscles working once again.
I won't clog up the thread, but feel free to PM me if you want some help with follow up and getting back to lifting.
Warming up the rotator cuff can really make a big difference there, if the PT gave you some exercises for it, you can keep doing them as a warm up (aka prehab). I can point you to some simple stuff as well.

I'll be dropping the Farmer's Walk as we think this was probably the cause of my issue, and will be looking at the following:
- push ups (For years, I have had to use push-up bars so my wrists don't blow out)
- dumbbell rows
- EZ-curl barbell curls
- bench press
- leg extensions
...... and can't forget walking. 😜

Today's workout was:
- 1 hour lakeside walk

I have to talk to my European-based workout instructor as to how to incorporate dumbbells (no, not you guys 😜), an EZ-curl bar (tricep handle as well), and barbell into a low weight, (eventually) high-rep workout.

We did end up getting more walking in yesterday.

Yesterday's workouts were:
- 45 minute lunchtime neighbourhood walk
- 1 hour post-work trail walk

Today's workout was:
- 1 hour lakeside walk

Joined Orangetheory almost a month ago. Just completed their Hell Week challenge - 5 hour long classes within an 8 day period. It was definitely tough…but we (the missus and I) did it!

C821E980-BD65-4974-B5EE-3ABDA541CDA2.jpeg

Joined Orangetheory almost a month ago. Just completed their Hell Week challenge - 5 hour long classes within an 8 day period. It was definitely tough…but we (the missus and I) did it!

Man, sorry I didn't even see this, time to bring this thread back to LIFE!

Nice job Man with No Custom Title!

How does their training work, just peaked at their site, they say they are HR base HIT, are you wearing a HR monitor during the session or...?
Always interested to know what people are doing out there, sports science is one of my favorite topics.

Man, long time no post, but training has been going on like normal, 6 days a week.

I did a 20 week cut (aka diet) and add already planned to take an extended diet break, at more or less maintenance levels for 2-3 months starting early December.

I directed to also take a break from doing my own program, and am using the Juggernaut AI app for a change of pace.

It's a powerlifting oriented app, but also has a power building option. I got it because I wanted to do a 'strength phase' during the diet break. But ironically, since it's a well periodized plan, it forces you to start with their hypertrophy phase. Thankfully, it's so different from the bodybuilding style training I mostly do, that it still feels like a break, and it's done me a lot of good tbh. My legs are feeling better all the time.

As a powerlifting program, it's having me do the 'main lifts' with high frequency, but relatively low loads. So it feels like I'm just getting a metric ton of practice in, and feel all the lifts are improving technically and also it just feels good for my body right now.

It's having me bench press (various variations) 5 x/week, and squat 3x/week with extra single leg work on Saturday.

After the main lifts, that are very programmed, it's assistance work 15-20 reps that should feel fairly easy. This part has been way nicer than expected, and feels virtually refreshing to do, when you're not trying to push set so hard.

Two more weeks of hypertrophy then the strength phase will start. I doubt I do that for long, as I think I'll be ready to get back to my diet at that point. And then follow it up with what I hope can be a longer push towards gaining some modicum of muscle.

Man, sorry I didn't even see this, time to bring this thread back to LIFE!

Nice job Man with No Custom Title!

How does their training work, just peaked at their site, they say they are HR base HIT, are you wearing a HR monitor during the session or...?
Always interested to know what people are doing out there, sports science is one of my favorite topics.
No worries 😂

Yes, it is HR based HIT. You do wear a monitor for the classes and have a goal to keep continuous movement in the exercises/reps being performed for the whole class and at the same time pushing yourself to reach and maintain the “orange zone” as far as heart rate (basically a very challenging pace of physical exertion without pushing to hard to where you burn out, pass out, or otherwise hurt yourself). There’s a “red zone” too that comes after the orange, basically letting you know that “you’re pushing really well, but maybe a bit too hard, you might want to back off a bit”. Leading up to orange is “grey” basically you aren’t even warmed up yet, “blue” you’re starting to move and get warmed up, and “Green” you’re fully warmed up and at your base HR.

One reviewer I read a while back put it really well…they’ve essentially gamified the workout class. The coaches are fun individuals, they play a range of upbeat music, etc.

No worries 😂

Yes, it is HR based HIT. You do wear a monitor for the classes and have a goal to keep continuous movement in the exercises/reps being performed for the whole class and at the same time pushing yourself to reach and maintain the “orange zone” as far as heart rate (basically a very challenging pace of physical exertion without pushing to hard to where you burn out, pass out, or otherwise hurt yourself). There’s a “red zone” too that comes after the orange, basically letting you know that “you’re pushing really well, but maybe a bit too hard, you might want to back off a bit”. Leading up to orange is “grey” basically you aren’t even warmed up yet, “blue” you’re starting to move and get warmed up, and “Green” you’re fully warmed up and at your base HR.

One reviewer I read a while back put it really well…they’ve essentially gamified the workout class. The coaches are fun individuals, they play a range of upbeat music, etc.
Hey man, it sounds fun. HIT is well established to be effective, healthy training, and IMO it sounds smart to keep tabs on your HR via the zones. Endurance athletes have been doing that for ages already. Good stuff!

Gamification is one of the big things in fitness now. That was going to be our next goal with our app, before it all went to crap. People love it.
I'll admit I'm weird and it doesn't appeal to me, but of course we all like sharing about our training and not feeling alone in it.

Okay, I am back for another round of staying fit to stay sane!

Morning workout consisted of the following:

10 minutes of stretching while the coffee was brewing (man am I tight)

30 minute workout consisting of...

Max Push-Ups (woefully I only did 31)
90' Farmer's Walk (75 pounds on each side)

3x30 squats while wearing ruck with approx 30 pounds (I should a bad of top soil in it)
Farmer's Walk

1x25, 1x20, 1x15 Squat down and overhead press ruck (not sure what you call these)
Farmer's Walk

1x20, 1x15, 1x10 two hand bicep curl with ruck (I am woefully week)
Farmer's Walk

3x30 seconds plank with ruck
2 Suitcase Carries per arm

I also might add that I am wearing my 30 pound ruck while doing the farmer's walks.

I felt good for doing this workout. I could up the intensity a bit but I will get there. Want to create the good habit first.

Hope the cadre has a wonderful day!

Yup...did this again today!

3x15 Incline Push-ups
90' Farmer's Walk (75 pounds on each side)

3x20 squats while wearing ruck with approx 30 pounds (I should a bad of top soil in it)
Farmer's Walk

3x15 Squat down and overhead press ruck (not sure what you call these)
Farmer's Walk

3x10 two hand bicep curl with ruck (I am woefully week)
Farmer's Walk

3x20 seconds incline plank with ruck
2 Suitcase Carries per arm

Also might mention that I do my ruck walks on the days I don't do strength.

Hope the cadre has a wonderful day!

I mentioned this in my Healthy Community post...put decided that for what I want to accomplish, I really need more weight equipment. So begrudgingly, I decided to join a not so fancy gym in our area. Anyway...got up early this morning and did the following workout:

I started today with a warm up of 10 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill. Then on to the exercises. Each exercise I did two warmup sets. Since this was my first time doing this program, there was a lot of variability in the weight. Next workout should be more consistent.

Barbell Squats 5x5 - Started out with 135 pounds and ended up with 175

Barbell Bench Press 5x5 - Started out with 95 pounds and ended up with 125

Bent Over Row 5x5 - Started out with 40 pounds and ended up with 50

Dumbbell Shrugs 3x8 - Started out with 65 pounds and ended up with 55

Standing Overhead Triceps Extension 3x8 - Started out with 30 pounds and ended up with 40

Standing Barbell Bicep Curl 3x8 - Stayed with 40 pounds the entire movement

And since I am so fond of Farmer's Walks I did 3 walks of 50 feet @ 75 pounds each side. Space is limited where I can perform these. I will say that 75 pound dumbbells seem a whole lot heavier than my makeshift weights with a 4x4 and cinderblocks. But whatever man...FEAL THE BURN!!! 🏋️‍♂️🔥

Anyway...this is workout A. Tomorrow I will do some cardio and maybe a little HIIT. We will see how this goes.

Back