The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Much earlier this year I decided to embark on a serious cut, and get down to around 10% body fat (aka pretty lean but not pro body builder lean)
I’ve been steadily at it for 12 weeks, with a small break every 5th week, and down 3.5 inches on my weightlifting belt, feel pretty good overall, but the fatigue is starting to take effect (which is totally normal) and it’s time for a 6 week break from the diet, and a phase of lower training volume.

Summer ballet classes are happening, and I’ll take a couple of ‘easy‘ classes, and see if I can build that back up. I love ballet but it’s hard on the joints, of which mine are showing their age. I actually find bodybuilding easier on the body than most fo the other activities I’ve done, and really enjoy it too, so that‘s going to be the main thing.
Not that anyone would confuse this old geezer for an actual bodybuilder, but I’ve gotten lean and some muscle, and had a good time doing it, so that’s good enough for me.

After the six weeks of ‘resensitization’ it’s back to the cut. Hopefully taking what I’ve learned from the last 12 weeks and making it more efficient. I feel like I wasted a bit more time dialing macros in. And hope to start from a good baseline. By far the hardest part for me, is just managing how much to eat. The actual diet is a grind, but I’m king of the grind, so can manage that OK.

Last edited:
3 more weeks of cut. Adding 2 ballet classes really upped my energy expenditure, I lost just over a kid last week, twice as much as planned for. I guess the good thing is that means a little more food for me, which I'm glad about as I'm pushing around 1600 calories a day now.

Training Schedule this week
Monday:
Bench Press 55 kg 6 5
2x 10-20 reps 6 kg 17 15
Incline DB Bench Press 13 kg 12 10
Triceps Press Down 15 kg 15 13 11

Tuesday:
Leg Press 50 kg 12 10 8
High Bar Squat 50 kg 8 7
DB Sumo Deadlift 13,5 kg 13
DB Stiff Leg Deadlift 13,5 kg 12 11

DB Lateral Raise 8,5 kg 10 8 6 + 7,5 kg 10

Wednesday:
Pull Up Bodyweight 7 5
Pulldown 40 kg 12 10
Iso-Lateral High Row - Rear delt focus 2x 20 kg 15 13 11
Low Cable Facepull 10 kg 16 14 11
Ez Bar Biceps Curl 22 kg 11 9 8
Bench Standing Concentration Curl 5 kg 20
Therband Foot and Ankle work Did

Thursday:
Iso-Lateral Incline Press 2x 17,5 kg 10 8 7
Machine Chest Flye 26 kg 10 + 19 kg 16
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 12 kg 15

Ballet

Triceps Pressdown 12,5 kg 20 17
Ez Bar Skullcrusher 12 kg 12 10 8
Cable Triceps Overhead Extension 12,5 kg 10
DB Lateral Raise 6 kg 15 13 11

Friday:
Deadlift 70 kg 5 + 60 kg 6
Walking Lunge 2x 10 kg 20 18 16
Leg Press 30 kg 15 13
Lying Hamsting Curl 10 kg 21 19 18

Saturday:
Ballet

Iso-Lateral High Row - Lat Focus 2x 25 kg 15 12 10
T-Bar Chest Supported Row - Mid Back Focus 10 kg 15 12 10
1-Arm DB Row 10 kg 16
Oly Plate Lat Pullover 5 kg 26 16 12
Seated High Cable Facepull 10 kg 20 16 12

Incline DB Biceps Curl 6 kg 18 16 14
Alternating DB Biceps Curl 7,5 kg 20
Elevated Calf Raise Bodyweight 41 32

So that's the first week of this last 4 weeks of cut, weights are low, and starting 'easy' every week trying to add a rep or two or some weight.

Been a while since I posted here, but I'm back from a nice 1 hr 20 minute lakeside walk with my wife on this holiday Monday; it's Family Day here in Ontario.

My shoulder is still not back to 100%. Most of the time it's fine but I can often feel it "pulling" even when simply carrying a bag of groceries.

We got out for a 1 hr mid-afternoon walk this afternoon.

I need to get back on the elliptical to work up a sweat as wifey has noticed that my weight gain seems to be all between the base of my sternum and my belt line. Uh-oh :eek:

I survived my baby-steps re-introduction to the elliptical. 33 mins (28 program + 5 min cool down) and while I wasn't sweating hard, I could feel the heat.

Another 33 mins on the elliptical this morning. Going to ease myself back into this as I can feel my lower back muscles saying “ Hey, this is different than normal walking!”

Well over a foot of HEAVY snow this morning. I'm gotta get my full workout shoveling that mess and probably destroy my back, arms, and shoulder while I'm at it.
Wheee!... Blah.

Switched up my elliptical workout program to one that lets me control the time, rather than a fixed 28 mins + 5 cooldown. 30 mins of glute work today even though my entire back is stiff from yesterday's shoveling.

Another 30 min elliptical workout just finished. I'll grab a shower right after making morning java for my wonderful wife.

Another 30 mins back on the elliptical this morning and coffee+news. I'll up the time mid-month and then up the resistance at the end of the month. I think that I'm back into the swing of things with it.

Bumped up the elliptal a notch in resistance yesterday, as it is mid-month. I'll add 5 mins when April kicks in. So far, so good.

Back