The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SORRENTINO BRUSHWORKS

Lol thanks guys! Matching brush and scales with that might be a little tough. The place I've ordered from so far only has the brush blanks, but I'll keep my eye out for people that sell both.

The hybrid blanks are almost always made using burl. I was at the Detroit branch of my work the other day, and noticed one that I'd never paid attention to before. It's amazing that something so ugly can be turned into something so awesome.

I wanted to grab a chainsaw and take it home with me lol. I didn't really put anything in there to show scale, but it's about 3 feet high. Just think of all the hybrid blanks that could be made with that!

Ooohhh, the amount of handles just sitting there waiting to be harvested.

That’s not what I thought burl was.... at all!

Burl is a growth generally caused by virus, fungus, or a bacteria. The grain gets all twisted and usually has small knots and even bud inclusions. The grains being all odd and twisted make them a big draw for turners. So much so that the burls are even stolen from trees. The "poachers" just chop off the burl section, but that opens up the tree to infections. I think some redwood burl thefts actually made it to the news a time or two.

Burl is a growth generally caused by virus, fungus, or a bacteria. The grain gets all twisted and usually has small knots and even bud inclusions. The grains being all odd and twisted make them a big draw for turners. So much so that the burls are even stolen from trees. The "poachers" just chop off the burl section, but that opens up the tree to infections. I think some redwood burl thefts actually made it to the news a time or two.

I was tempted to "poach" that piece, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it unnoticed since the executive directors office faces that tree.

I finished up another brush a few days ago. It's part of a two brush order, and the second one is a work in progress, so it hasn't been sent out yet. My first time working with Marbelwood, and also my first time setting a boar knot.

I will echo what has already been said...that wood is beautiful...and oh man! That grain!

Thanks guys! It looked pretty plain in blank form. I was afraid that there wasn't much character in it, but once it was turned...wow.

Those are afmazing looking! Though I have to admit that I like the way the Amber brush looks unpolished...I know...I'm a little weird!

Back