The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20211128_161118.jpg

Dr. JON'S Sunday Funday Cold Fall Morning-

Nice scent perfect for this kind of weather. Can't remember the notes off hand but it reminds me a bit of Wild West 2016 Christmas soap, a combo of some festive fruits like Cranberry, with other seasonal notes without being a Cinnimon or pumpkin scent, in fact I don't detect either of those in this soap.

Performance is quite good on this vol. 2 base. Have yet to try the newer vol.3 but would imagine a slight improvement as that is usually the intent with artisan reformulation, rather than mass produced where it's usually the opposite lol.

Shave went well and finished off with CL Unconditional Surrender which is a weird scent and am not sure what to think, I'm not a big fan of many of the CL fragrances although I do have quite a few samples and respect Shawns creativity, this one is still undetermined.

20211204_173641.jpg

AOS Rose Absolute- I couldn't resist and after a nights think I ordered a tub from the bay link (thanks brother!) And will have to remember to post thoughts on that thread as well.

The scent is Rose of course and as somewhat typical of Rose it's about medium strength and was obvious from opening the tub that it is Rose scented and did get stronger once lathered. The cream did harden up to croap texture which is a great think IMO since I much prefer soaps over creams.

This was my first shave with AOS cream. Have used the Old tallow sandalwood but don't recall sampling the cream. It lathered well with no issues and provided decent protection. For the price I couldn't resist trying this one plus to be able tl hook people up with some samples of a discontinued product.

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves possible! ;)20211204_174029.jpg

20211208_145058.jpg

Razorock SMDF- this is usually considered my many to be one of RR's better soap formulas, but IMO their triple milled soap base blows this stuff right outta the watta.

Scent is nice clean mix of Euclyptus, some Menthol, Camphor, and Tuscan Tobacco Flower. It's unique and different for sure, not my favorite RR scent but it is a nice well done scent.

The shave was OK with no issues yet the lather texture had that typical Italian Croap thing going on, sort of light and airy yet still provided decent protection without the heavy feeling of superfatted soaps.

Shave music- Blind Guardian- Night At The Opera Album

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves!
20211208_145649.jpg

Is that one of those Wilkinson razors? I have an unused still in the package Wilkinson razor that looks like that. I have always wondered what it shaves like, but never wanted to open the package. Not sure why...just always felt that way.

Is that one of those Wilkinson razors? I have an unused still in the package Wilkinson razor that looks like that. I have always wondered what it shaves like, but never wanted to open the package. Not sure why...just always felt that way.
I see him use it a lot! I think Doug may use one occasionally too!

Yes it's the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor usually found for around $10. Excellent razor that over time has become my "go-to"razor especially for testing unfamiliar blades. As with any razor you have to experiment to find the right razor/blade combo that works best for you. You should open her up and give her a go.

20211212_113635.jpg

Crown & Crane Jamacian Peppercorn-

Have seen some mention of C&C on some recent threads so decided to bust it out.

Scent of all the C&C products I tried are unique and this one applies to the rule. It has a peppery vibe but light and not STRAIGHT UP PEPPER!! More like a peppery cologne that would pair well with Lalique EDT in the Tiger bottle.

This is the Vegan formula and whipped up a thick lather providing everything one would look for in a quality shave soap. The shave felt great with no issues. 20211212_114301.jpg

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre!

20211215_165024.jpg

Tabular Rasa Dezember- this stuff is a strange product, it's marketed as a cream yet is the texture of Whipped Yoguart, airy and unusual.

Scent of Dezember is not like you would expect, it is more Herbal with perhaps Rosemary notes? Weird scent to go with the weird texture lol just wait till we get to performance!

Well, the performance is slightly weird as well. Would put this product in the same league as Meissner Tremonia as I believe they are both from that part of the world (Germany) and they both are different from most other products in the den. The "cream" whips up a decent lather but no touch ups after a rinse in this case. Ended up with a few nicks and irritation on the neck. 20211215_165755.jpg

20211215_165809.jpg

Back