The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20211219_145249.jpg

Lisa's Natural Sandalwood Patchouli- this is the OG Lisa's soap base that gained some fame on the fourms for being inexpensive yet high quality product.

Scent is obvious in the name. My nose picks up the Patchouli immediately with some Sandalwood adding depth and a bit of darkness, fantastic scent and my favorite of the Lisa's Soaps I have tried.

Performance is very good on this product and for the price (think it was +/- $10 shipped) for a hard puck in a tin put this soap in the RR/ Stirling territory as far as value concerned. The shave felt like a million bucks and even forgot to use the Masters Challange A/S till hours later. This soap washes away easily without leaving a thick waxy feeling nor dry skin.

20211219_145917.jpg
20211219_145930.jpg

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre and getti g amazing shaves!

I never tried the OG, I came to be an LNHC fan later. Great stuff.

Pretty much any soap base from Lisa's Natural is good stuff but they all have their differences. This one is a hard puck, the 2nd formula called Premium was a much softer almost cream, and the new base is more firm croap.

20211224_160904.jpg

Wild West 2017- this was a LE soap that Russ added to my order from December 2017.

Scent is complex with a lot of notes: fir, pine, peppermint, Apple, cranberry, vanilla,Black current, bourbon, clove, cedar, spices. To my nose they blend together well to create a nice Winter fragrance something in the same family as Dr. Jon's Cold Fall Morning.

Performance is quite good yet not elite IMO. It lathers well and provides a great base for shaving. Finished off with Siliski F&M oil.

20220212_140009.jpg

TSD Desert Rose- placed a small order recently after hearing the TSD shop is back up and running. That fourm was the first I had joined and was home base for a long time.

Scent of Desert Rose is fantastic! I wasn't too sure about this particular scent as what to expect, but this Rose is beautifully crafted and immediately knew this was a good choice. Aside from Rose I don't really know how to describe this one, it has some green notes as well which blends great with rose.

Performance- TSD soaps have always had excellent performance in my case. Don't let the fact that this is technically a "glycerin" based soap fool you, the quality of lather is nothing like a typical glycerin based soap, none of that cottage cheese texture lather with this base. If someone else lathered this soap and I was blindfolded it would not be a fair outcome. The shave felt amazing with the iced menthol added. Skin feels protected and was one of the more refreshing shaves lately.

20220212_140557.jpg

20220212_140603.jpg

Shave music- Vinal Wastelands- have been working thru these old country silly mixes and love them. Similar to a country version of Dr. Demento for anyone that knows about that.
Hope everyone is doing well. Have a safe rest of the weekend Cadre!

20220210_173659.jpg

Kell's Original Energy- this was yesterday's shave setup going backwards a bit trying to catch up. Have taken pics of every shave since but neglected posting them.

Kell's is another glycerin based soap that was discontinued a while back. They have a hemp aloe blend and offer quite a few scent options, some have burning issues with some scents which can be a issue with some scents glycerin soaps, thankfully this shave was not a problem.

Scent of Energy is bright citrus and is a fairly strong scent fitting of its name.

Performance is OK but wouldn't put it in the top tier of glycerin based soaps in the den but it lathers up with no issues. The lather does start out with a cottage cheese texture until properly hydrated. The shave was just OK and ended up with some neck irritation and decided to toss the Derby Premium which apparently didn't have the longevity of other blade brands.

20220210_174539.jpg

20220210_174543.jpg

20220208_173545.jpg

Honeybee Soaps Vetiver- sadly Sue from Honeybee passed away a few years ago. She offered inexpensive glycerin based soaps that are much better than the typical Brambleberry M&P base, with added butters they are decent soaps that are nice to revisit.

Scent of Vetiver is not the grassy earthy type, it smells more on the green side and would be a wearable fragrance if offered as a EDT.

The shave went well and even forgot to use a post shave product till hours later with no Ill effects. Sue will be missed and am proud to have been able to try her products before her passing.

20220206_161835.jpg

Razorock Black- this is one of the RR WTP triple milled soaps. Fantastic value and excellent performance despite price, by far the best Razorock soap base IMO.

Scent of Black is labeled as a Woodsy Fougere but to my nose it smells like a nice complex cologne and a long with the Gold are the best scents of the WTP series IMO.

Performance is excellent as mentioned. Lathers quick and without issues. Was surprised at the lather quality from the first shave from this formula, very protective and the triple milled soap should last for many MANY shaves.

20220206_162435.jpg

20220206_162442.jpg

Shave music- JR Walker greatest Hits

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre and getting A1 shaves!

20220204_185133.jpg

Tiki Into The Forest- sadly discontinued this is the old Tallow base made by Amanda.

Scent is a great woodsy blend that is unique, it has Frankensense, Cedar, Basalm, fir, and perhaps others those are just from memory. It's more than the usual Cedar or Pine scented woodsy soap that's for sure.

Performance is quite good although probably not a too tier base, it lathers well and provides a decent shave like a quality product is suppost to do.

Shave went well and finished off with Oleo F&M balm which moisturized the skin and leaves a lingering scent longer than many other balms which might be due to the type of fragrance used in this product.

Shave music- Saxon Denim & Leather

20220204_185752.jpg

20220202_153241.jpg
CBL TabacVeg- I don't think this artisan needs much explanation since we are here at the Cadre afterall lol.

Scent of TabacVeg is very weird and intriguing! Was not sure what to think at first since the Veg is not a scent for everyone, but the mixture of the 2 scents come together to create something special that doesn't really smell like either individual scents. Have really grown to love and appreciate this scent and crack the tub open every couple days since receiving this soap, thanks again Chris this is one to be proud of.

Performance is very good. Soap lathers well with no issues. Lather texture is lighter than some other tallow based soaps which is good for people like me that sometimes don't want that heavy greesy feeling that tallow soaps can feel like sometimes. The shave went well but did get a few nicks from not paying attention under the nose area which is a common issue area for my skin. Finished off with the Veg and am still not sure if I'm "chosen" or not. The Masters Lilac Vegetol smells much better with my skin chemistry, but the Veg does dry down to acceptable level but still don't know if it's a good fit or not.

20220202_153822.jpg

Shave music- hank Williams Sr. Greatest Hits

Swell shaves Cadre!

Attachments

• 20220202_153841.jpg
    20220202_153841.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
Her vetiver is one of my favorites! I still have several tubs of her soap and bars of her bath soap. I stocked up when she became a vendor here. Really enjoy her base.

Yeah it's sad she is no longer with us. She was among the first artisans on the scene back in the day with a great glycerin soap base.

3-3-22
20220303_201400.jpg

Palmolive Shave Stick grated into puck form. Sadly discontinued and this is one soap I'm glad I have a few sticks put up for future use. It used to be found for cheap (.50P in Europe) but the supply has dwindled and now some people are charging crazy prices for these sticks.

Scent is interesting, it's soapy, fresh, clean & green! Nice and present for a mass produced product.

Performance is very good and have had some great shaves with this soap. Slickness is too notch and if it lacks anything performance wise it would have to be "post shave feel" which means very little to me since aftershave of some kind is usually used immediately after shaving anyways. Had a great 3 pass shave with a bit of chasing and no nicks or weepers.

Shave music- Orgy Vapor Transmission: haven't heard this album in a while. Was a fairly popular band that is kinda like a mix of Flock Of Seagulls with Nine Inch Nails.

20220303_202014.jpg

20220303_202008.jpg

20220301_172929.jpg

3-2-22

Godrej Menthol Cream- was on a slight cream kick recently revisiting some older ones.

Godrej is touted as a inexpensive cream from India and is on many people's favorite list and for good reason.

Scent is more than just Menthol, clean, and fresh, slightly Aquatic.

Performance wise this is one of my favorite creams. Whips up thick lather with little effort. Shave went well with no issues and was nic3 and refreshing.

Shave music- Hank Williams Jr. Wam Bam Sam

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre!

3-1-22
20220228_085933.jpg

Yardley Gold- strong scented cream. Scent is a weird perfume I can't even begin to describe and literally have no idea where to begin with this scent.

The shave was OK but nothing special. It could be partly because I'm not really accustomed to using creams and find the lather qualities to be slightly different from soaps. Finished off with some Eucris Skin Food which felt good and is another weird scent to pair well with Hardly Gold.

20220226_154726.jpg

Cremo Sandalwood- have had this tube a long time and have no recollection of ever trying this product. First of all this stuff does not lather and turns into a runny mess that dissipates quickly. Only made it 1 pass before busting out some Speick Stick grated into puck which was amazingly slick perhaps from a thin layer of Cremo underneath.

By itself I had a few choice words for this crap, but could see why people would use it for superlather. The Sandalwood scent is terrible IMO and smells nothing even remotely like Sandalwood. It has a industrial plastic vibe...

Back