The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

View attachment 58210

Storybook Soapworks Shaken- one of my all time favorite scents in the world of Wet Shaving from the label one may think this is another Gin or Martini scented soap but this is far from anything like that it is dark and complex for sure. Soaps performance is excellent and made a great lather with little work.
I’m bummed more people didn’t get into Storybook before they were gone

I’m bummed more people didn’t get into Storybook before they were gone

Same here Dave! They had a really good soap base and Witch Hazel based A/S but only offered a couple scents which may have limited their exposure. Storybook Soapworks also did a few collaborations with other artisans. Anyways it's sad to see great products get discontinued.

20210901_172211.jpg

fendrihan Robusto- picked this up from their website for around $9 a puck and little Information about it but decided to give it a shot.

First of all I will release a little known secret just for you Cadre members- THIS STUFF IS REBRANDED TALLOE BASED TABAC. The scent and lather are identical to Tabac and now that the Tallow formula has gone Vegan it should be fun to see how long it takes for this to sell out. If you are a fan of Tabac and like the Tallow base this is it.

The lather had its usual creamy texture and could handle crazy amount of water without breaking down and provided a excellent shave despite using a random old Rapira blade.

Shave music- Pink Floyd Animals album20210901_172247.jpg
20210901_172738.jpg

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre and getting the best shaves possible. ;)

Attachments

• 20210901_172731.jpg
    20210901_172731.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 4
20210827_114509.jpg

White Star Shave Stick & Balm- this stuff is quite decent and has a barbershop scent similar to Mickey Lee Kraken.

Had some lather trouble due to using this old Synthetic brush which while it looks cool, it lathers differently from modern synthetics acting like a Boar Brush (which is why I stick to using modern synthetics). Ended up switching to a different brush.

Despite the issues this soap Balm combo still cranked out a swell shave.

Shave music- Dazz Band Let It Whip20210827_114940.jpg

20210830_125120.jpg

A&E Which Ones Pink- this soap is my 5 year old Nephew's favorite soap in the den. He will search for it on the shelf till he finds it lol it's kinda cute how much he loves this particular soap.

The scent is described as a Oriental Fragrance and is Heavy, unique and certainly not for everyone. I know of several people who can't stand the scent of this soap and agree that it is Polorizing and leaves a strong impression lol.

Have never been a big fan of the way A&E soaps lather, they start off slow and bubbly leading you to think there may be lather troubles and does require some work to get the best out of this base.

20210825_180123.jpg

Kell's Original Dragons Blood- this was a inexpensive Glycerin based soap that came in several varieties such as Hemp, Aloe, and other ingredients. Apparently Kells Original is no longer in production.

Performance is quite good and is much better than some other Glycerin based soaps and makes a protective lather with very little work. The Dragons Blood scent is Very strong and smells just like Reef Point Dragons Blood, due to this fact it can cause a little scent skin irritation.

20210825_180704.jpg

Shave music- Little Jimmy Dickens

Attachments

• 20210825_180707.jpg
    20210825_180707.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 59461

White Star Shave Stick & Balm- this stuff is quite decent and has a barbershop scent similar to Mickey Lee Kraken.

Had some lather trouble due to using this old Synthetic brush which while it looks cool, it lathers differently from modern synthetics acting like a Boar Brush (which is why I stick to using modern synthetics). Ended up switching to a different brush.

Despite the issues this soap Balm combo still cranked out a swell shave.

Shave music- Dazz Band Let It WhipView attachment 59462
I believe this soap is a secondary line of Hendrix Shaving? I have not had the chance to try it yet, but I had always assumed the scent of the Barbershop was akin to their own. Hendrix barbershop scent smells just about identical to Mike's Natural. Don't know if Kraken was the same?

Awesome shave. I may have to pick up a puck / stick with my next order. Thanks for the review. I love the fact that you review all of the lesser known soaps. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I believe this soap is a secondary line of Hendrix Shaving? I have not had the chance to try it yet, but I had always assumed the scent of the Barbershop was akin to their own. Hendrix barbershop scent smells just about identical to Mike's Natural. Don't know if Kraken was the same?

Awesome shave. I may have to pick up a puck / stick with my next order. Thanks for the review. I love the fact that you review all of the lesser known soaps. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It's a decent product and yes it is their new Shave Stick line available on Ebay for a reasonable price.

20211028_211846.jpg

Haven't posted a shave in any of the SOTD threads online since September 3rd yet still take pics for every shave lol. Was talking to a few people about the Razorock Triple Milled line so figured it was time for it to shine.

Razorock Yellow label Triple Milled soap-

Apparently the scent is the same as XXX and is citrusy, a bit complex, and mildly intoxicating. Have not tried any of the X's but this is a well done scent.

Performance wise this is a fantastic soap base. Although i am not a big fan of Italian Barber for personal reasons, my hats off to them for bringing one of the best values in wet shaving to the public. Taking into consideration the price this is a must try IMO since the whole set can be obtained for penny's on the dollar when they regularly go on sale. This soap lathers like Tabac and makes a thick creamy texture with ease. The shave was great and finished off with some cooling Stirling MITA aloe WH.
20211028_212415.jpg

20211023_130141.jpg

Grooming Dept NYC Chypre- nice floral citrus scent.

Performance of GD soaps is very good but find sometimes they can be hit or miss just like B&M can be. Had a little trouble making a stable lather which I think is from some of the pre-shave soap getting stuck in the brush even though I give them a thorough cleaning more often than most. Ended up with some irritation.

Back