The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Its cool that TSC has a section for shaving journals where people can document their thoughts. I plan to use this thread to post mini reviews and give my opinion on various soaps and other products.

10-25-18

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: RR BC Plissoft
Soap: OZ Shaving- Jack Pumpkin Head

First shave with OZ Shaving soaps and it went well. Scent of JPH is a typical pumpkin/spice scent but the beer adds a little dimention to it. Prefect for fall weather and was my favorite of the 3 samples ( Tornadic, JPH, Tick-Tok).

Lather took a little work to get the right consistancy, but was worth the effort. Did end up with a few weepers which could have been from the old blade (lost count of the # of shaves) since this was the 1st shave with this soap i dont want to prematurely blame the soap for this. The lather did hold a decent amount of water without breaking down which is always a good sign. If i had to give some constructive criticism i would say the residual slickness could be a bit better, was about a 6/10, could do a few minor touch-ups but would have to exercise caution on larger areas.

The Homemade salve does seem to be calming skin down a bit. Made a big mason jar of this stuff a while back and have been trying to use it up, especially since this is dry skin season. Is loaded with skin food and is easy to apply and absorb into the skin.

Hope everyone had a wonderful shave!

Oh boy if you are going to start reviewing soaps I haven't heard of, I am going to have to prepare my wallet... be right back!

Chad is right to be afraid, you have a lot of soaps that are new to this crowd. We definitely live in an exciting time to be shaving, so many fun and enjoyable soaps to enjoy. I am excited to see the ShaveWizard's thoughts.

Have not heard of OZ Shaving before...but now I am interested! I will be checking them out...thanks for the shave today! Well, yesterday that is!

Excellent start to the journal SW!

This homemade salve has my curiosity piqued. Care to share what you did?

Of course! Just take some shea butter, coconut oil, glycerin,beezwax, lanolin, aloe vera gel. Heat it up in microwave then add any EO or fragrance you wish. You can experiement with the ratios a bit, but i pretty much just threw it together.

I also make pre shave soap that has worked out quite well. Used a few Honeybee samples, added same ingredients as above but also threw in some menthol crystals and homemade pre shave oil (olive, caster, grapeseed).

Its fun to experiement and see what works best for your skin.

Chad is right to be afraid, you have a lot of soaps that are new to this crowd. We definitely live in an exciting time to be shaving, so many fun and enjoyable soaps to enjoy. I am excited to see the ShaveWizard's thoughts.

Thanks! There will probibaly be a lot of artisans that people have not heard of before as those are the ones i tend to gravitate twards for some reason. Always rooting for the underdog lol.

10- 26

Prep: shower with Ellegant Rose- Rose Cardamon bath soap
Razor: The General
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: Wild West Witchita

Had a late night shave today, first time in a while since i normally shave in the morning. Went with Wild West Witchita, the scent profile of this soap makes it a bit hard to imagine. I pick up a spicy complex scent with wild rose, although this is not a typical floral and is not very floral IMO but you can tell there is rose added (if that makes any sense at all). The soap has a pink tint to it which is cool. Where Wild West shines is their unique scent profiles and their 2oz soap offering, making it easier for variety.

Performance is pretty good but have found this soap works best when its not drenched with water. I usually push a soap to the limit water wise, so i have to adjust my technique with this one to get the best from it.

Did end up with a few weepers on upper lip, but this blade does have a few miles on it. Overall it was a refreshing shave and near BBS.

Finisjed off with Fortitude balm which smells almost exactly like Mickey Lee Jurate IMO. Fortitude is another scent that is unexpected. no one scent note can be detected, rather they come together to create a pink bubblegum type of scent (as strange as that sounds). The menthol soothed and refreshed perfectly. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Have not heard of OZ Shaving before...but now I am interested! I will be checking them out...thanks for the shave today! Well, yesterday that is!

No problem Don! OZ Shaving is a newer artisan compaired to most. Their Wizard Of Oz theme is kind of neat and something a bit different.

Bummer on the weepers! Good shave otherwise though.

Thanks for sharing the salve recipe!

No problem Don! OZ Shaving is a newer artisan compaired to most. Their Wizard Of Oz theme is kind of neat and something a bit different.

Just looked at their website! Oh man...you did it now! They have a variety of scents that I think many here at TSC would really like! I am debating an order right now!

Just looked at their website! Oh man...you did it now! They have a variety of scents that I think many here at TSC would really like! I am debating an order right now!

Me too! I had no idea they were local. I had done a search of local artisans a couple months ago and they never popped up.

Well that didn't take me long...and of course I HAD to add the extra soap and aftershave so I could get free shipping. Two soaps and Aftershaves on their way in the Foxville and Wicked Scents! I was going to try some of their samples...but the scents I really wanted to try were sold out...if I like the soap...it looks as if I might be making another order!

Back