The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20220224_115208.jpg

C.O.B the start of the cream kickoff! Nice inexpensive cream picked up locally at Bath & BBW back when first start of wet shaving. Usually run deals like buy 2 get 1. Etc.

They say this is Proraso Green. Has a mentholy, Eucylyptusy type scent that is old school yet smells good.

Performance is pretty damn good I must say, much better than many give Proraso credit for. Provided a smooth shave and finished off with old formula Proraso balm which is taking FOREVER to finish this last little bit left lol.

20220224_115747.jpg

20220224_115753.jpg

Shave Music- dream Lover

Thanks for your thought on the Cremo. I’d been half tempted to pick up a tube. Now, thankfully, the temptation is gone.

Thanks for your thought on the Cremo. I’d been half tempted to pick up a tube. Now, thankfully, the temptation is gone.

If you would like to try it shoot me a PM and its yours! Some people seem to really like it, or add to make superlather so you may end up liking it.

Barbershop Week next week-at least one shaving item reminiscent of those old days at the Barbershop. I think I also did one on another forum.

Thanks Paul! Actually just shaved with MER Shaving Barbershop and am in the process of posting it lol .strange coincidence since not too many barbershop soaps in the den;)

20220309_104354.jpg

Wilkinson Sword Stick- this one was discontinued recently and a shame since most prefer it to their blue/black bowl.

Scent is fresh light and clean, similar to a very very mild laundry soap or something along those lines.

Performance is pretty good but find it not as good as other shave sticks. It lathers up well but the lather is not as creamy as Speick or Palmolive IMO.

20220311_114418.jpg

Musgo- this newer soap from Musgo is inexpensive. Think I got the puck for around $6 which is about half the price of the older Musgo Real Hard Puck. The scent is identical IMO and smells just like the shampoo bar as well, perhaps slightly different from the classic cream though.

Performance wise this is a darn good soap. Triple milled soap that will last forever and for the price it's a terrific value. Quite pleased with this soap and have no complaints.

20220311_115238.jpg

20220311_115248.jpg

20220312_133631.jpg

Dead Sea Shave- yet another fallen soldier. This soap has Watermelon oil which has to be one of the most unusual ingredients I have seen in a shave soap.

Scent is Minty fresh with a almost Spearmint vibe. Nice and refreshing!

Performance is darn good yet slightly below top tier IMO which these days it's harder to judge and place soaps because of the hundreds of soaps I have tried the competition and variety is crazy.

Shave was nice and the minty almost cooling effect felt nice but did get some irritation on the neck. Finished off with Soap Smooth Lada A/S which has a citrus scent and not sure if this ones gonna stay in the den or end up on BST should know after a few uses.

20220313_170325.jpg

Province Sante Green Tea- this soap has been on radar for a while now but kept getting knocked off for use of other soaps so this was it's lucky day!

Would describe the scent as extremely close to Pre De Providence Green Tea bath soap ( which is also in shower rotation) strange since they are from w different companies but they are SoOO similar it's not funny.

Performance is much better than most French Soaps. Not sure what it is but personally am not a fan of French soaps, for some reason the lather is more airy but this one did thicken up with a bit of work.

20220313_170817.jpg

20220313_170828.jpg

20220315_203041.jpg20220315_203055.jpg20220315_202620.jpg

MER Shaving Barbershop- this is their older non- Duck fat formula with lanolin. Dave the owner is a awesome guy and included thus tub with a order some years back with a hand written note. Since I missed their 10% off sale he threw this tub in with the order. Would put MER up there with CBL, Elegant Rose, Turtleship, Grandstaff, wild West, and others that go farrrr beyond customer service and really appreciate and want their soaps to be enjoyed by us.

Scent is different from most barbershop scents. It's boozy like there is a bit of alcohol captured in with the barbershop scent. This is a excellent unique take on a classic.

Performance wise this soap lathered awesome and lathered the hell out of it to give it extra loading time which payed off in spades. The shave was fantastic and compaired it to the Duck Fat soap for today's shave and this one was much better but that could be due to many factors so not really a accurate comparison.

Shave music- Metal Church album

20220315_203041.jpg

20220315_203055.jpg

20220317_204521.jpg

MER Shaving Duck Sauce- this was the original scent of his duck fat base and is a blend of Orange & ginger with orange being the main component. The soap is a bit softer than the other formula but is still much firmer than most modern artisans. The shave went well but didn't capture the magic from the last shave despite cutting myself terribly yesterday due to not paying attention and got my nose real good, no amount of styptic, alum, or T.P could seem to stop the bleeding which happens whenever I get cut :( damn! Even so the shave was decent but not as refreshing, finished off with Desert Heat which has a scent that paired great!
20220317_205052.jpg

20220317_205058.jpg

Shave music- Padalin Madelin Home, the Cukoo she's a pretty bird. Weird old song day!

Hope y'all are doing well love ya Cadre!

Wilkinson Sword Stick- this one was discontinued recently and a shame since most prefer it to their blue/black bowl.
I picked up a blue bowl way back in 2014 and it still holds the record for being the ONLY soap I've ever fully given up on and relegated to the shower. That thing was useless to me!

Lol ok no problem. It is a good way to use up unwanted product but if a soap is lacking it doesn't get used much.
I've been mixing my TOBS Mr. Taylor with MWF for over a year, not because either of them need something to get a good lather, but because it helps use up my massive stash longer and they feel like a natural pair!

Well, that's a shame....there should be more,. Of course this opinion is that of me.
Indeed some Barbershop scents are very well done but Still they seem to get neglected a bit similar with some Aquatic scents that may smell good but more of a once in a while kinda thing.

20220630_121206.jpg

Soap Smooth War Blend-

Have been taking SOTD pics for months without posting them yet stopped a few days ago lol. Today's shave was with Crown & Crane Green Tea which is a bright colored Orange soap with a fantastic scent and performance.

This last recorded shave was with War Blend which is a Mentholated slightly Aquatic but perdoemance wise this one has been a personal favorite since acquiring it in a trade some years ago. Finished off with Lada A/S which is a citrusy scent. Still not sold on the scent of Lada, it's not terrible but the jury's still out.

20220622_102343.jpg

A&E Chasing The Dragon- very nice scent, as most of the A&E line this is like a complex cologne, floral, spicy, with some heavy base notes sandalwood perhaps. Not quite as mysterious as Kahlifa and would highly recommend Kahilifa due to its weird sweet mysterious scent. CTD is advertised as the flanker scent.

Perfoemance is very good. A&E soaps are a bit slow to get the proper texture lather but the shave qualities make it worthwhile.

Back