The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20210930_221205.jpg

Ogallala Sage Cedar- while I like the scents Ogallala offers, the aftershave is highly recommended but I have not had as mich success with their other products (shave soap, deodorant, shampoo bar) but will discuss the shave soap anyways.

Soap lathers quick with large bubbles that can be reduced with water and some whipping into shape, but find the shaves sub-par when compaired to other M&P glycerin soap bases. It's not terrible but would place it in a lower tier personally. Some people report skin sensitivity with Ogallala Soaps and while I do get a slight tingling from them it's not bad enough to discontinue use.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

20211105_134212.jpg

Haslinger Spa Sandalwood- this is by far the strongest scented of the Haslinger line up I have come across.

This is the older Tallow formula and performs fantastic with a Tabac texture thick creamy lather. Shave was beautiful despite this "Last Blade" razor blade which I have a fair shot and they are not for me and my skin, have had some nicks and blood loss over the shaves with this blade and pitched it afterwards. 20211105_134904.jpg
Shaving music- Keel- The Right To Rock Album

Hope everyone is doing well and getting A1 shaves;)

20211109_170714.jpg

Gingers Garden Maharani- this is the Tallow formula from GG and comes in a cool tub with a lid that can either unscrew or pop top which is unique and so is the scent. This is a mysterious scent along the lines of MW Egyptian Dragon, resinous yet very unique sweet scent that is unlike anything else I have come across.

Performance is ok and lathers well with no issues, but the A/S is the star of the show.

20211118_165914.jpg

Soap Smooth Frankencense & Myrrh Set-

Man I love the scent of this Set! F&M is a scent that can be difficult to capture and preserve properly and many versions tend to fade or be light scents. This version is woodsy with a slight clay element in the soap that adds to the scent profile which may be attributed to the Kyvass Water as it is a unusual ingredient.

Performance is very good and I think Soap Smooth had come a long way since their 1st formula but unfortunately they went out of business a few years back.

20211120_141315.jpg

SV Cosmo- nice darker scent with notes of Coffee. Some people have been underwhelmed by the light scent of this soap and agree that it could be stronger considering the MSRP of this soap, but it is a good scent nonetheless.

Performance is decent of all the SV soaps. Shave went well with no major issues. Finished off with Masters Spice A/S.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

20211123_175147.jpg

Van Yulay- this has been a weird artisan as far as performance wise. They have several soap bases available and they are not all created equal.

This is one of the tallow/emu oil bases and have had lathering issues with this particular soap in the past, it lathers but sucks up a lot of soap and sometimes the lather disappears as well. This shave it worked out ok so no complaints just observation.

20211123_175701_001.jpg

Took this lather shot since it had a weird air bubble that went right thru the brush lol.

Much love Cadre hope y'all are doin well!

View attachment 68408

Van Yulay- this has been a weird artisan as far as performance wise. They have several soap bases available and they are not all created equal.

This is one of the tallow/emu oil bases and have had lathering issues with this particular soap in the past, it lathers but sucks up a lot of soap and sometimes the lather disappears as well. This shave it worked out ok so no complaints just observation.

View attachment 68409

Took this lather shot since it had a weird air bubble that went right thru the brush lol.

Much love Cadre hope y'all are doin well!
I have the same - hit or miss with the bases with Van Yulay - but that Achilles Scent is phenomenal!

20211126_155208.jpg
Decided to use a Pine theme for this shave since we are getting ready to put up Christmas tree and lights so perfect time for Christmas Time!

Wet The Face Christmas time- this is one of my all time favorite soaps and has a fairly strong Basalm/Pine/fir scent with excellent performance. The shave went well and finished off with B&M Tagia A/S to keep with the Pine theme.

View attachment 68402

B&M Hallows- nice earthy cocoa Oakmoss scent. Shave went well and finished off with Leviathan EDT which if you like the scent of Leviathan is a must have IMO. View attachment 68403
Will from B&M was on a podcast last year where he goes through his fragrance journal and explains how frags are important to him. In thatc same podcast - he explains how that label you have came about - pretty amusing!

Will from B&M was on a podcast last year where he goes through his fragrance journal and explains how frags are important to him. In thatc same podcast - he explains how that label you have came about - pretty amusing!

Yeah isn't it a x-ray of a skull with nails in it?? Wonder how the hell that would happen, someone must have been pissed off at that guy!

Back