The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Two soaps I have never heard of! This guy needs to use our Soap Sample swap LOL!

Hmm shaving with takeout food. Didn’t expect that one! Is there actually any heat to the lather or is it all in the scent?

No heat from this scent at all and am glad that there was no negative reaction.The sweet chili is not a note i would have guessed, sniffing the tub it has a almost slightly fruity bergamot thing going on. Certainly not what i expected but it smells great IMO.

Two soaps I have never heard of! This guy needs to use our Soap Sample swap LOL!

Lol its funny you mentioned the Sample Swap, i plan on participating soon. First have to get some sample jars as i usually bag up samples in wax paper stuffed in a small jewelry ziplock.

If there are any soaps you or anyone else would like to try i could include.

11-9-18

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Soap Smooth- War Blend

It was actually snowing this morning here in Detroit for the 1st time this year. Since i no longer have B&M First Snow, i decided to go with SS War Blend. This soap was a LE that came in a huge 8oz metal tin (same asthe old HTGAM)that makes loading a breeze. Love these large film reel tins.

Scent of War Blend is a light cologne with the perfect amount of menthol, not quite Glacial level, but you know for sure its in there. Felt nice and soothing once going outside in the cool wind.

Performance of this soap is better than any other Soap Smooth soap i have tried. Not sure if its from the wide tin, if its a different formula, or if the menthol plays a factor, but it lathers into a thick dense cream similar to Shannon's Soaps. Managed a smooth shave with no nicks. Finished off with Peg Leg Nichols which is a close match to War Blend scent wise. The bottle is a skull and is pretty cool and unique, this one has a crack by the reducer and the little bit of juice left is very concentrated, feels like oil and packs a nice menthol punch. Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves possible!

P.S. sorry Dave, i tried to make the pics larger but it still doesnt look any bigger. Will try again and see how it goes.

These are great! A lot of soaps that most of us have not heard before! Thanks for sharing what you have!

Right. So I gotta ask. Where are you getting these soaps from, or how do you know about them. I consider myself to be fairly informed in the wet shaving community, and I browse att the vendor sites from time to time. But it seems like every soap you use is completely new to me. Sure I expect a few to go under my radar, but all of them?

Right. So I gotta ask. Where are you getter no these soaps from, or how do you know about them. I consider myself to be fairly informed in the wet shaving community, and I browse att the vendor sites from time to time. But it seems like every soap you use is completely new to me. Sure I expect a few to go under my radar, but all of them?

I know! Right?

Right. So I gotta ask. Where are you getting these soaps from, or how do you know about them. I consider myself to be fairly informed in the wet shaving community, and I browse att the vendor sites from time to time. But it seems like every soap you use is completely new to me. Sure I expect a few to go under my radar, but all of them?

Thats a good question KJ. Some of them i have learned about thru trades and the BST (Smitten Soapery, Ballenclaugh, Spiteful Soaps, Ellegant Rose, Etc) while others can be found in utube reviews (Viking, Victory Shaving, Regiment, Wet The Face, etc). There are new ones i hear about every now and then, Oatcake Soaps being one of them but have not tried it yet.

always check out the ingredient list before considering a soap. It will tell you a lot about wheather or not it would produce a stable lather or not. Steric acid should be close to the top unless something like cocoa butter or soy wax is used (anything with a high steric content). There are some great soaps with very few ingredients, but usually the more butters & oils= incresed odds of better post shave IMO.

There are so many great artisans out there that the difference can be somewhat minimal once you reach the top tier. But everyone has their own preferences when it comes to lather.

These are great! A lot of soaps that most of us have not heard before! Thanks for sharing what you have!

Anytime Don! Love trying different soap bases and exposing some "hidden gems" so people can feed their SAD, plus bring some light to artisans that dont get much mention on the threads.

11-10-18

Prep: HEV Nautilus pre shave oil
Razor: Gillette Tech/Somerset
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang Ylang

Here is a more common soap, i live about half way between Detroit and Ann Arbor so this is about as local as it gets. Mike has been making soap for years now and has only done a few subtle changes over the years, meaning he got it right the first time.

Scent of this newer Mike's offering is a heavy citrus bergamot that is stronger than any other Mikes soap i have encountered. Smells bright and fresh.

Performance is very good. Not quite top tier, but whips up a protective lather and works well in this hard water at my GF's house, have had trouble with other soaps so this is a welcome surprise. Shave went well and post shave was not bad. Finished off with Courage balm, the bottle is about 1/4 full which shows how much i like this stuff. Hope everyone has a safe weekend!

Thats a good question KJ. Some of them i have learned about thru trades and the BST (Smitten Soapery, Ballenclaugh, Spiteful Soaps, Ellegant Rose, Etc) while others can be found in utube reviews (Viking, Victory Shaving, Regiment, Wet The Face, etc). There are new ones i hear about every now and then, Oatcake Soaps being one of them but have not tried it yet.

always check out the ingredient list before considering a soap. It will tell you a lot about wheather or not it would produce a stable lather or not. Steric acid should be close to the top unless something like cocoa butter or soy wax is used (anything with a high steric content). There are some great soaps with very few ingredients, but usually the more butters & oils= incresed odds of better post shave IMO.

There are so many great artisans out there that the difference can be somewhat minimal once you reach the top tier. But everyone has their own preferences when it comes to lather.

Great info SW!

Soap Smooth if one I wasn't a big fan of, but the scent are nice.

I am also a fan of Mike's I need to pull some out

This is good information to know!

Mikes is a staple for many people. I think it is a fine soap...but not my favorite. I hear the newer stuff is quite a bit better though...so I may need to revisit!

Soap Smooth if one I wasn't a big fan of, but the scent are nice.

I am also a fan of Mike's I need to pull some out

Soap Smooth is hit or miss with me as well. Their Tobacco, and Cognac scents lit my face up something fierce. While the Pumpkin seasonal from a few years ago was fine, even though these kind of scents can cause burning sometimes.

11-11-18

Prep: HEV Natilus Pre Shave Oil
Razor: Gillette Tech/Somerset
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: Perfecty Natural- Citrus Mint

Excellent shave early this morning. Have had this Perfectly Natural soap (not to be confused with Passionatly Natural which is another good artisan) in the queue for a while now and decided today is the day. Soap comes in a 3 oz puck inside a box for around $9, so $3/oz not bad for the performance and is a great value considering how hard the puck is.

Scent of Citrus Mint is heavy menthol with a citrus background. This stuff packs a mean menthol punch and is right on the edge of my menthol tolerance, as a result i was careful not to use pure cold water and made it warm instead.

Performance is quite good and it lathers easily. They offered a formula before this one that would create that gooey lather similar to B&M Reserve base, this formula however whips up to a milky consistancy instead. Shave went well and the post shave is soothing, plenty of residual slickness as well. Finished off with Fortitude Balm for the perfect ending to a swell shave. Hope everyone had a great shave!

11-12-18

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: CBL- Black Rose Oud

Have been itching to use this CBL BRO again and could wait no longer.

Scent is a unique rose that is not too floral but rather a bit dark, just supurb IMO.

Performance of this soap is impressive. Lather held a boat load of water which may help with residual slickness as it was slick enough for touch ups with no visable lather. Did experience a bit of trouble with this blade, certainly did not last as long as the previous blade (Pol- Silver) and was changed immediatly after the shave. As a result did experience a bit of trouble on the neck area but nothing serious. Finished off with CC Southern Oud which complimented the Black Rose Oud beautifully. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Back