The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Exactly a bubble being popped is spot on. Glad to hear im not going crazy lol. How do you like the Fattip Grande?

I didn't like it at first. But after spending all of October with it, I love it!

My only complaint is the finish. I have the gunmetal finish and after about 40 or so shaves with it in total, it’s starting to wear off. Most noticeably on the head of the razor.

Actually I wouldn't even call it a complaint. I kind of like the look of it and the idea that it’s showing it’s use. Kind of like a vintage guitar. It just seems a bit soon for it to happen.

That was a load of lather from the Cosmo. I think half the puck was on your brush!

I didn't like it at first. But after spending all of October with it, I love it!

My only complaint is the finish. I have the gunmetal finish and after about 40 or so shaves with it in total, it’s starting to wear off. Most noticeably on the head of the razor.

Actually I wouldn't even call it a complaint. I kind of like the look of it and the idea that it’s showing it’s use. Kind of like a vintage guitar. It just seems a bit soon for it to happen.

That does sound kind of premature for that kind of wear. There is a thread on one of the fourms where people showcase their razors with wear. Its called "plating is overrated" or something like that. It is cool to see some of the really bad ones people have, makes you appreciate if it is just a little wear lol.

11-19-18

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Razorock DE1
Blade: GSB
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Wet The Face- Christmas Time

Fantastic shave this afternoon. First time with the RR DE1 and it went well. Mild shaver with a nice weight to it, very close shave.

Christmas Time is a Pine/Basalm/Fir type of scent that is quite nice. The performance is top notch IMO. Soap has a somewhat short ingredient list (5 not including scent) but provides everything one would look for in a soap. Post shave is very good and lather likes a lot of water. Hope everyone had a great shave!

11-20-18

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Razorock DE1
Brush: Yaqi26mm synthetic
Soap: Van Yulay- Achilles

Strange shave with Van Yulay today. Both the soap and balm give my skin a slight burning sensation, especially the balm, but both smell great and pair well together.

Achilles has both tobacco tea and tobacco absolute. Spicy tobacco scent that is pretty strong. The balm smells quite a bit like CB Connecticut Shade IMO.

Performance on this paricular VY soap is not bad, but not quite top tier either. Van Yulay offers many different formulas to choose from, and their ingredients are interesting (Emu oil for example) plus they offer a rediculous number of scents to choose from. The soap whipped up a decent lather, actually thought i added too much water but a bit of work thickened it up. The DE1 razor has been working well, mild but efficent, perfect for my skin. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Nice shave SW! I had a sample of VY that I liked quite a bit. I believe it was Enter the Dragon. I received it from a friend and naturally checked their website shortly after. There were so many choices I felt like my head was gonna explode!

Nice shave SW! I had a sample of VY that I liked quite a bit. I believe it was Enter the Dragon. I received it from a friend and naturally checked their website shortly after. There were so many choices I felt like my head was gonna explode!

Thats right Steve, they offer a crazy number of scent choices, right up there with Ginger's Garden. A little Something for everyone.

THANKSGIVING SHAVE

Razor: Dorco PL602
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: CB 322

Nice shave Thanksgiving morning. The CB 322 has become my "go-to" for holiday soap choices (due to the occult significance) plus its just a decent soap all the way around.

Scent of 32 is a pungent dank vetiver, havent come across anything quite like it before. Certainly not for everyone, but if you like vetiver or dark dank scents it may be for you. Hopefully Chris will make a return of 322 in the future.

Performance is not bad. Although i much prefer the soap formula even though the ingredients look the same except for the addition of shea butter in the soap. Perhaps its from not loading enough of the cream. This one stays in the den based off scent alone, it is spectacular IMO.

11-23

Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Bolzano
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Siliski Soaps- Santas Pipe

Excellent shave this morning. really like Siliski Soaps and always enjoy the shaves they provide. They are also quite a good value for how well they perform and the quality of ingredients (high butter content).

Scent of Santa's Pipe is a spicy almost "christmas cookie" tobacco type of scent that is nice and warm.

Performance of this soap is pretty darn good. No nicks or irrtation had by the shave. Their post shave oil is a bit different from most. It absorbs quickly but is a oil (complete contradiction) and soothes skin beautifully. There is a restrictor in the bottle that is prehaps the best one i have seen, you dont have to worry about spilling it everywhere, in fact you have to shake the bottle a few times which is the perfect application for a product of this consistancy IMO. It is also loaded with hemp oil and other skin food. Hope everyone had a safe holiday and a great shave!

I hope they do make 322 again. I’d love to try it! Sounds right up my alley.

Nice shaves SW !!
Thanks Dave!

I hope they do make 322 again. I’d love to try it! Sounds right up my alley.

It is unlike any other scent from CB. Very pungent borderline "rotten" type of vetiver. Have heard Cryill Salter Vetiver is a bit similar, but havent tried it myself.
Nice shaves SW! That Santa’s Pipe sounds like an awesome holiday scent!

Thanks Steve! Santa's Pipe is a decent holiday scent, do wish it was a bit stronger(love strong scents) but great none the less.

11-24-18

Prep: pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Bolzano
Brush: Yaqi26mm Synthetic
Soap: Phoenix & Beau- Sanskrit

Excellent BBS shave early this morning. Have had Sanskrit in the queue for a while now and today was the day.

Scent of Sanskrit is often compaired to Old Spice and is somewhat similar IMO. Not quite as sharp as OS, but the 2 scents do share similarities.

Performance of Phoenix & Beau soaps is top notch. Quality ingredients and the lather can hold a CRAZY amount of water without breaking down. I flooded the lather and it kept getting thicker rather than thin. Very protective lather indeed. Soap washes away clean and did not leave any residue behind, makes clean up easy, but was a bit difficult foing touch ups once rinsed.

Very happy with todays shave results and finished off with LG No Mercy. Local Gent makes great products and their A/S has excellent longevity, however i dont care for the scent of No Mercy (sandalwood & Oud) as it smells like baby powder to my nose. It does come with a cool bag but the bottle doesnt fit in the bag making it a bit akward. Hope everyone had a magical shave!

I have been very interested in P&B especially Sanskrit...but I have never pulled the trigger. I think I'm going to have to soon!

Back