The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

I was actually joking with him. He has always sought out the little known brands NO One has ever heard of. He's a wealth of knowledge with soaps.

Thanks Dave I appreciate that! Try to share unknown soaps with people so they can learn about something different. Soap reviews are very important as most people stick with well known artisans rather than venture out into the unknown.

11-3-18

Prep: shower with MWF bath soap, pre shave soap mix
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1st shave)
Brush: RR BC Plissoft
Soap: T&S Himalaya

Nice smooth shave yesterday. T&S offers scents that some people complain about, and can see both sides of the argument. Himalaya is a interesting scent that is complex, hard thing to do with only using EO. Would describe it as a slightly sweet, spice. reminds me of APR Mycroft so much so that i have yet to lather the APR. I prefer this scent as a aftershave but thats just personal preference.

Performance is T&S is excellent. You hardly ever see complaints about the lather quality which is a great sign, since some people look for flaws whenever and wherever. Lather is thick and holds a boat load of water without breaking down. Shave went well, especially since i changed the blade (that thing lasted a crazy long time). Post shave feels moisturized and the A/S adds to this as well, just wish the A/S scent lasted longer, it morphs and changes a bit over time into a beautiful accord.

11-4-18

Prep: shower with MWF bath soap, pre shave soap mix
Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM Blue Star (1st shave)
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Ballenclaugh- Hot Barrel Rose

Excellent shave this morning. Decided to go wth HBR which is a Guns & Roses tribute soap, which is a mix of rose, gunpowder, (and i believe bourbon) this is the 4.5 formula which is a lighter on the rose note than the original, plus i believe Chris added bourbon and other notes as well as both smell smiliar but 4.5 has been tweaked a bit. HBR is a very polorizing scent, some people say it smells a bit like burnt rubber and could see why people would say that, although it is a work of art IMO and very different than any other rose scent.

Performance wise its one of my favorite soap bases. Loaded with skin food, fats and oils that make for a great soap. Lather holds a decent amount of water and is on the thick side. Soap itself is a brown yellow color but lathers white (unlike Vanderpool which stays yellow/brown). Am glad to see Ballenclaugh is now available at WCS as it allows more people to hear about it and get acess to a tub if curious. Post shave is also top notch. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

I have tried tallow & Steel awhile back and was impressed with the performance. The scent thing isn't as big of a deal for me as I think some of this would be in my wheelhouse. My complaint with them currently is because you can only purchase from them and shipping from the great white north can get a little pricey!

When WCS first introduced Ballenclaugh I went ahead and purchased the Honey Tobacco. I love the scent of this soap! Performance...while not the absolute best...is still really good and has made its way into my rotation.

Fat Handled Tech FTW! A prewar could easily be my one and only razor...love those things!

Great shaves SW! Cool graphics on the Hot Barrel Rose!

I have tried tallow & Steel awhile back and was impressed with the performance. The scent thing isn't as big of a deal for me as I think some of this would be in my wheelhouse. My complaint with them currently is because you can only purchase from them and shipping from the great white north can get a little pricey!

When WCS first introduced Ballenclaugh I went ahead and purchased the Honey Tobacco. I love the scent of this soap! Performance...while not the absolute best...is still really good and has made its way into my rotation.

Glad to hear you liked the B&C Don! The scent of Honey Tobacco us unique, reminds me of a old barn (in a good way).

Not sure why T&S decided to go direct only. Seemed like a lot of people were buying their soaps from Maggards, the West Coast IPA sold out quick.

Fat Handled Tech FTW! A prewar could easily be my one and only razor...love those things!

Great shaves SW! Cool graphics on the Hot Barrel Rose!

Thanks Chris! The HBR graffic is pretty cool. Like how they put the top hat on the skull (Slash). Much better than their old labels which would run and peel once wet.

11-5-18

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Gillette Tech/Sumerset
Blade: Topaz Platinum
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: Uncle Jon's Holly Berry

Had a swell shave yesterday morning. My step son wanted to shave as well, so he grabbed his fake plastic razor and we whipped up a lather. Little man chose this one based on scent. Since the bathroom was crowded i didnt include a lather shot, but it was quite slick and post shave feel was on point, especially since i forgot to use any post shave product and didnt notice any difference.

Scent of Holly Berry is a mix of pine and cranberry with a perfect name. A winter scent for sure, and one that would go great with some M-Bomb or menthol additive.

Uncle Jon's is a solid performer, not quite elite status but certainly above average, and Jon is a good guy to do business with IMO. As mentioned i failed to use any post shave product and face still felt good which is a great feature of certain soaps.

11-6-18

Prep: Shower with PDP #63 bath soap, pre shave soap mix
Razor: CJB Kamasouri
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: Maggard 24mm Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Storybook Soapworks- Shaken

Started off this shave with all new products, however had to ditch the CJB as it took a bite from my lower lip. First time with this style razor and have no experience with straight razors. Completely user error on my part, the angle feels weird compaired to a DE/SE/Injector. Ended up switching to the Fat Handle Tech and the shave was night & day difference.

The brush has very soft fibers, although did feel a little more floppy compaired to the other Maggard synthetics IMO, similar to the Yaqi synthetic (one of my favorites) no problem just need to keep in mind when lathering to not make a mess.

Storybook Soapworks has a excellent soap base that reminds me a bit of Jeeves Of Hudson St. Scent of Shaken is very masculine, sandalwood with a little spice, just amazing scent that paired beautifully with Stirling Gentlemen. The new Stirling EDT has great staying power and can still catch whiffs of it. 1-2 sprays is all thats needed. For the price these are a great deal IMO. Hope everyone had a top notch shave!

P.S. this lather shot does not do this soap justice. It was thick as could be and had a sheen to it.

SW, no worries. I'm enjoying reading through on all your thoughts on these new to me soaps. I know I'm in trouble when you compare the soaps attributes to other soaps I've never heard of
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
I'm learning though !

Lol dont get discouraged Dave, there are many soaps even the most seasoned soap addict have never heard of. New ones are popping up while others go out of business. Its all about finding what works best for your skin, each person is different.

Fun shave with the little man!

Storybook Soapworks has a excellent soap base that reminds me a bit of Jeeves Of Hudson St. Scent of Shaken is very masculine, sandalwood with a little spice, just amazing scent that paired beautifully with Stirling Gentlemen. The new Stirling EDT has great staying power and can still catch whiffs of it. 1-2 sprays is all thats needed. For the price these are a great deal IMO. Hope everyone had a top notch shave!

P.S. this lather shot does not do this soap justice. It was thick as could be and had a sheen to it.

You have my attention sir! Sounds most excellent. Love JoHS Barbershop!

I have Uncle Jon's Gravity. I have used it once or twice and I really like the soap base. It has some of the best residual slickness I have experienced in a soap. I just wasn't a fan of the scent that much...but I would buy another scent in a heartbeat!

Storybook Soapworks is really an underrated soap! It knocks on the door of an elite soap and provides an incredible shave!

Sorry about the bite...but it seems like otherwise you had some good shaves!

Great shaves! I still need to try Storybook. And I am also a fan of Uncle Jon's he is a great artisan to deal with.

Great shaves! I still need to try Storybook. And I am also a fan of Uncle Jon's he is a great artisan to deal with.

Thanks! Storybook is pretty darn good stuff, although not a fan of most of their scents. This Shaken is not a gin type scent at all, it is spicy sandalwood unique and amazing.

11-7-18

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
Soap: Lather Bros- Take Out Night

First shave with Lather Bros and it went well. Thought this was the best scent Maggards had ( Calle Ocho close 2nd) The scent of Take Out Night is Sweet Chili, Ginger, and Lemongrass- although to my nose it smells like bergamot fruity with slight lemongrass background. The notes blend together to make a unique accord. It is not spicy like ginger can be sometimes.

Performance was great for a first impression. Lather whipped up with no problems. Liked the addition of lots of water, and residual slickness was quite good as well. Managed a DFS but did upset some left over irritation from the other da, but overall was a swell shave. Finished off with matching balm which is very thick in consistancy (similar to Local Gent or Crown & Crane balms) has nice menthol cooling, and absorbed in the skin quick.

11-8-18

Prep: Mickey Lee Sandalwood Pre Shave Butter
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Blue & White synthetic
Soap: Smitten Soapery- Big Daddy

Perfect shave this afternoon. Smitten Soapery is another hidden gem with a excellent soap base loaded with kokum butter and other skin food. First heard of this artisan when i picked up a tub of Stud Muffin from the BST. Ingredient list looked promising, and it turned out to be one of the few cinnimon oil soaps that had no ill effects. Was impressed enough to want to try another scent.

Aparently they changed the name of their company, their formula, and their prices as well, including some more complex scents. Hopefully they will offer samples in the future. Picked this tub up from their sale for around $10 and is worth every penney IMO.

Scent of Big Daddy is Sandalwood and smells like Viking Sandalwood Oakmoss, or TSD Sandalwood Oakmoss. Very sweet masculine scent.

Performance is excellent. Lather holds a crazy amount of water without breaking down. Has a milky quailty and post shave is top notch. Residual slickness is also pretty good,but did notice a little skipping during touch ups, but no extra lather necessary. Finished off with Siliski F&M post shave oil. This stuff has hemp oil and is different from most A/S products. absorbs quickly and is non greasy for oil which is strange. Soothing as can be and nicley comcentrated with EO. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

Hmm shaving with takeout food. Didn’t expect that one! Is there actually any heat to the lather or is it all in the scent?

Back