The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Nice shave! Definitely need to get my hands on some CBL at some point. From I’ve read from you and some of the other memebers, Chad makes top quality soap in some pretty great and unique scents.

Nice shave! Definitely need to get my hands on some CBL at some point. From I’ve read from you and some of the other memebers, Chad makes top quality soap in some pretty great and unique scents.
Chris, not Chad, but yes he does. It’s the best!

Nice shave SW except for the blade going south. Why don't we stop mid shave and change them when we notice? I have the tendency to wait til after the shave too.........................

Finally! A soap I know!
1f60b.png

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Bolzano
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Ginger's Garden- Haight Ashbury

Sorry ive been slacking on posting my shaves, life has been busy these days.

This shave went with Haight Ashbury, which is a mix of patchouli with a vanilla/cherry background. Interesting take on a patchouli scent.

Performance wise its always been hard for me to judge this soap. The soap lathers super quick and it can whip to a good consistancy. The shave went well, but nothing to write home about.

Prep: shower with MWF bath soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts- Autumn Ash

Amazing first impression with Southern Witchcratfs soap. Their scents are very complex and different.

Autumn Ash is a smoky, spicy, maple syrup that is a beautiful Fall scent perfect for the cool weather. Really like this scent profile as it's unlike many other fall type scents.

Performance on this shave blew my socks off. Doubt it was the sole responsibility of the soap, but this shave was perfection. The soap whips up a thick consistancy and feels very much like a tallow (although it is vegan) much like GD or others that have mastered the vegan soap game. This soap did have a strange hot/cold thing going on, part due to the mentholated pre shave soap. It didnt burn my skin or anything, but rather the scent envokes a sense of warmth (if that makes sense). Residual slickness was exceptional as well as post shave feel. Looking forward to trying the other 2 samples aquired from the Maggard trip.

Razor: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Envy Shave- Winter Forage

Managed another swell shave this morning. Winter Forage is a winter type scent that is not too heavy on the pine, but is still present. Other notes make it a well blended scent.

Performance is very good. The lather quality reminds me of CC soaps (which happen to be in the queue) and is a dense creamy consistancy. Has all the qualities one would look for in a soap, crazy slick and top notch post shave. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

Man, great trifecta of shaves!

Is the Wilkinson razor pretty much your go-to or just giving it a little time in the ring?

I might have to try that Autumn Ash. The scent notes sound like they wouldn’t mesh, but I love complex scents that work.

11-16-18

Razor: Dorco PL-602
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Cattie's Bubbles- Ruds Suds

Had this razor arrive yesterday. Ordered this and a RR DE1 and figured i would try a few other cheap razors, since i love the Wilkinson Classic (also have the Wilkinson Sticky on my radar) and wanted to try a different plastic DE and see how they compaire.

As for the Dorco Razor, the weight is a lot lighter than the Wilkinson (due to being completely plastic and lacking the metal handle insert). The design on the head is well made and provides a very mild shave, perhaps a bit too mild as there was still stubble, but only time will tell. So far it worked great but would recommend the Classic for a few more bucks.

Ruds Suds is a LE from Cattie's Bubbles and is a mix of vetiver and coffee. The soap is mostly vetiver to my nose, while the A/S has more coffee notes. If you like vetiver the ones that CB offers are beautiful IMO, really like 322 which is more pungent than Ruds. The aftershave is a beautiful accord and really opened up after 30 min or so.

The lather quality was quite good, and perhaps the best lather i have had from CB. Was happy to see this release is the soap base as i prefer it to the cream base. Performance was very good and provided a swell shave with no irritation. The aftershave was the star of the show with this cheap plastic razor not far behind. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

I might have to try that Autumn Ash. The scent notes sound like they wouldn’t mesh, but I love complex scents that work.

Autumn Ash is very complex. Wasnt too sure about the scent notes either but really like this one. It is spicy smokey and sweet, the syrup plays a big roll but is not a "pancake & syrup" type of scent. If that makes any scents.

11-17-18

Razor: Dorco PL razor
Blade: Perma Sharp
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: SV Cosmo

Had a farily decent shave yesterday morning with SV Cosmo. This cheap plastic razor has been incredibly mild, to the point that i couldnt get a BBS no matter how many passes. it also makes a liquid popping sound when shaving around the nose area, not sure why but it happened both shaves. No big deal but just observation. The Cosmo has a deep dark light scent that is great for this time of year. Scent paired great with the Woods & Spice Balm, and the scent lasts a long time from this balm. Very good stuff.

11- 18-18

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime
Razor: Gillette Tech/Somerset
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: WK Padre Leone

Nice smooth shave this morning. Much closer that the last 2 shaves with the Dorco Razor. First time using WK at this house with the hard water. It seemed to hold up ok and provided plenty of protection. Even flooded the lather on the 2nd shave and the lather held strong. Performance of WK soaps is top notch and among the best soap bases available IMO.

Scent of Padre Leone from the sample smelled a lot like Man From Mayfair but with less of the basil note. Once lathered it changed quite a bit, hard to describe, but would say it has a peppery slightly spicy, almost powdery scent.

Nice Shaves! My Fatip Grande does the same water popping sound too. Almost like a bubble being popped. I think it has something to do with water getting inside the hollow handle.

Back