The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

2/24/22
TSC 2022 ShaveCon training

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry Soap
Stirling Tuxedo brush
Razorock Hawk V3a
Feather ProGuard (1)
Stirling AS splash & EdT Bergamot Lavender flavored
Talc Cannon for the win

View attachment 76600

Great and delightful shave with thoughts on gear I’ll take with me for the meetup with those shave nuts in Vegas

The soap had gotten seedy but doesn’t seem to be bothered with me trying to lay it to rest.

Bergamot Lavender for bedtime

Talc Cannon demo and doing the shirt right.

Y’all have a great slide into the weekend

Oh, and made a vid
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV
I may make a play for that Bergamot&Lavender someday.

SOTD 3/1/22

Derby Lemon shave cream
Stirling tuxedo brush
Gillette Flair Tip
Personna Blue (1 and done)
Stirling Orange Chill Switch Hazel
Stirling Lemon Chill AS

E71CF89C-A93D-4B4C-A335-350C8DBFC9DE.jpeg

Somewhere along the line I missed a post I wanted to make using the Feather DX, oh well.

Usually when I use a DE I always want to grab the Feather AS-D2. After that tool, I’d have to say this Flair Tip is my second choice. Many times I’ve said I think it is the most intuitive DE I have.

I made a mistake buying 100 of these blades before ever trying one just because it was a good price. I just use them once or twice and give them the heave-ho. I kinda got to liking fresh steel.

The soap was another impulse buy cause it was cheap. Not the best lemon, but it works good.

Did a little cleanup after splashing on the switch hazel while still wet. Yielded a great close and comfortable shave except on the lower neck where I’ll get irritated with most safety razors if I’m too aggressive.

Powder cannoned and dabbed with a terry washcloth for a smooth finish.

The Vertigo Shave
3/5/22

Stirling suds, brush, and stank. Triumph flavored
Dovo En Vogue, compound hollow bevel
Dynamic Powder Cannon

FBF412F3-D47F-47E0-B94C-92DDC61AB8B1.jpeg

Enjoying fragrances more these days. Stirling Triumph today, a dupe for Paco Rabanne Invictus
First compound hollow bevel hone for this shave piece, this morning. It was worth it.
Great shave.

Vid for your viewing enjoyment
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 3/6/22

Fine Barber Blue suds, AS, and bowl
Tall dark synthetic brush
Stirling Lemon Chill Switch Hazel
Focus Dynamic R48 1/2 DE Pivoting Head Razor
Feather (2)
Powder Cannon for the finish

C0A715E7-84BC-4144-AF03-1769D560F187.jpeg

I like the new Fine Barber Blue scent, but it is lacking in the soap even though performance is good.

I used the Focus Dynamic razor a couple of months straight because it taught me the shave results I should target and fine tuned my understanding of my growth pattern. I sometimes still pick up one of these for an easy shave or cleanup swipes.

Focus changed the design of these for the worse IMO so I don’t recommend the current ones.

Great shave.

Made a vid for your viewing enjoyment.
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 3/7/22

Fine Lavender pour Homme soap
Simpsons Emperor 2 brush
Feather AS-D2 W/ Feather (3)
Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS splash

88B3AB2E-4F31-47A6-947C-AB1A08D40A87.jpeg

Great quick and easy shave.

There may still be some of this flavor still left of the original milled soap. Great performer.

I regret waiting so long to buy this razor. Great tool.

Wishing everyone a great week.

Very nice Bill! Lavender PH/Czech & Speake Oxford has to be my favorite lavender scent, under Rive Gauche of course.

SOTD 3/9/22
ShaveCon training Episode 2

Stirling Soap, cough drop flavored
Stirling tuxedo brush
Feather DX folder
Feather ProGuard (2)
Stirling Orange Chill Switch Hazel
Col Conk Lime AS & Cologne

03FBACE4-60BB-4FBA-B33B-BCF02510EE2B.jpeg

Thinking more about what shave gear to bring to the convention, the Feather DX and ProGuard definitely make the list. They shave so well and effortlessly that the Razorock Hawk will need me to try other blades to make it.

When someone asked me why I had not planned to bring any straights to a “Shave Convention” it really forced me to reconsider. Maybe I’ll even pack some honing gear if the interest is there. So at least one straight will be going.

I finally killed this soap. Menthol and Cherry just did not work for me in a soap. At least now I have a tub I needed.

Orange, lime and a couple of direct hits from the powdah cannon freshen me up nice for bedtime.

Great shave.

Today makes it 4 years back at my current job. I’m supposed to get my first review next week. Uh…….yeah. I wonder if they want something.

Full steam to the weekend gents.

The company handbook says employees are entitled to an annual review. Of course these are really more like guidelines.
😎
The "annual rerview" I got, of my second federal guvvy job, sent me packing. I got an F+, which of course, means you tried your hardest, but still failed. (No, I didn't get the F+, but I might as well have).

SOTD 3/10/22

Stirling Electric Sheep soap
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Simpsons Emperor 3 brush
Rasoir Sabre, 6/8 Gustave Lalune, Mon Fier Destrier
Stirling Lemon Chill Switch Hazel
Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Extract of Limes Skin Food & Cologne
Talc cannon

5C789185-336A-4E34-8787-E9119B0C6F26.jpeg

I love the performance of Stirling mutton tallow soaps, I have not experienced better. This sample size is about 5 years old and aired out some. It no longer carries an animal funk or the skeeter candle stank. Matter of fact, I found almost no smell at all today. Maybe I open up my tub in unscented to see if the dead anime leaves it too.

The razor is one of my most prized straights. Made from 52100 high carbon steel, known for great tensile strength and edge holding abilities. 52100 is the choice of famed knife maker Bob Kramer.
This particular example was forged 50-70 years ago when the norm was to use lower die strike pressures at higher repeat counts. While this method could yield greater flexible strength, sometimes geometric dimensions suffered. The craftsman behind these pieces uses refurbished 100 year old equipment in his classic production methods. I have one of the more modern forgings in the same namesake and I like this one better.

I shouldn’t ’chase the baby’ like I did today, but it was fun.

Finished with the great Trumper ‘s Lime suff and powder cannoned for the smooth feel.

Great shave.

DBM
10/31/1931-3/11/2022

86E3BFFE-C1F9-4136-A8B8-CA8429504408.jpeg

Got word today that my Father moved on to be reunited with my dear Mom.

Dad has spent about the last 6 years or so in a very nice assisted living facility where he was happy and well cared for.

A decline in his abilities has slowly progressed to the logical conclusion. I am grateful to have had him to raise me, support me, and guide me into my own.

The friendship that we developed as I entered into adulthood was as fulfilling as one could ever ask for.

My younger brother and the available members of our immediate families will be having a private time to reflect, remember, and honor the now empty vessel that carried him through this life early next week.

…the time of his departure has come. He fought the good fight, he finished the race, he kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for him the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to him on that Day.

Thanks for everything Dad. We love you.

Back