The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

SOTD 1/22/22
I look back at my early stuff

TOBS Sandalwood
Stirling tuxedo brush
EJ DE89
Sharp Star blade
Proraso AS balm

A shave with stuff from early on in my learning wetshaving.

It became my opinion, in time, that this popular razor is challenging to use. Can’t remember the last time it got the call.

The brush and AS balm get regular use.

B49FA895-5646-421C-AD89-29E08EE1AE0F.jpeg

For your viewing pleasure
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 1/22/22
I look back at my early stuff

TOBS Sandalwood
Stirling tuxedo brush
EJ DE89
Sharp Star blade
Proraso AS balm

A shave with stuff from early on in my learning wetshaving.

It became my opinion, in time, that this popular razor is challenging to use. Can’t remember the last time it got the call.

The brush and AS balm get regular use.

View attachment 73897

For your viewing pleasure
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV
I’ve had the same challenges with the EJ myself my brother. It’s what has kept me from buying the two Gillette “new” releases because they have a similar head

SOTD 1/23/22

Barbasol Pacific Rush
Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Schick I1 injector
Schick Proline blade (?)
Aqua Velva AS

A shave for nostalgia. In the beginning I wondered why I keep this shave piece and ponder getting rid of it.

In the end, even with canned foam, I realize that had this gear been given to me and remained readily available when the wizbangs at Gillette ended production of the original Atra, I may have never shaved with anything else.

So the razor stays.

09E25312-6CF4-4223-A7E2-332ABD7AD44D.jpeg

Made a vid to prove I used foam
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 1/28/22

The French Coffee Shave

Haxwell Mouse Instant Coffee
Stirling Sheep soap
Tall dark brush
Thiers Issard 889 6/8 French point, Rams horn scales
Stirling Deep Blue Sea

559E7249-52A3-4384-81AD-0F84535CDAD5.jpeg

I took the day off today because I finally started to be caught up plus I had shopping and projects clamoring for attention.

For a guy with a shaving hobby, I gotta admit I’m been Mr Slackmaster Big this week.

That problem was successfully remedied with caffeine and the soap of the most unglorious of aromas that even coffee won’t fix. Oh and one of my fave Frenchie shavers.

For your viewing enjoyment…..
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 2/2/22
I’ve been waiting all my life to write all 2’s in the date
🤗

8710B4B7-976E-43B8-878C-E7100625CED4.gif

Once upon a time, after moving from straights to shay-vettes, this reminded me of my straight shaves on my less frequent revisits.

I moved along diligently pursuing those easy cutting machine made blades, learning along the way.

Today, when it is time for a straight shave my excitement is more like….

27FBDE08-DCF7-4E51-ACBD-0041A5158773.gif

Proraso for sensitive skin
Omega 10098 boar
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Gong Razor 6/8+ hollow grind, hollow bevel honing
Proraso AS toner

088CFD3A-61A0-4EE2-A520-B93F318505F6.jpeg

This soap was one of my first purchases because I thought it would leave me with less irritating shaves. Uh…..no.

The 2 least expensive brushes I own get the most use, this is one of them. The best reason to spend more than $20 for a shave brush is because you want to. I consider all boar brushes uuugly, but can they slosh the suds or what?

This is the last razor I bought. From a great gent who is like magnet for these things in the rough. He sells them at cost plus shipping and $4 in gas for his Harley.

I found a reference indicating Gong razors were initially offered by C. Friedrich Ern about a hundred years ago. No telling exactly how old it is but it is in great shape and safe money could easily gamble that it is older than I am. I’m lucky to have found it.

The Gong delivered a marvelous shave to be finished up with another Proraso product that I like, but not enough to repurchase.

Coast on into the weekend gents.

SOTD 2/6/22

Why do I have so many razors?
🤔

Fine American Blend Soap & AS
Stirling tuxedo brush
My Proud Steed Razor
Red Cap Stuff

A18F9ECD-21EA-4FCE-B0B0-81426E7795F1.jpeg

One of my favorite straights from Ertan Süer who is known to have exceptional skills at thin grinding on vintage equipment he restored.

Love the Fine stuff - American blend

Delightful shave
For your viewing enjoyment
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 2/8/22

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry soap
Stirling Fan Badger
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Merkur 30c
Sharp Star blade (2?3?4?)
Razorock Essential Oil of Lime

86D9B23C-C8F7-4574-BBA8-0AA2D1E7BA0D.jpeg

When I sampled Stirling Black Cherry I liked it. Most of the time a menthol add doesn’t bother me, but it made this smell too much like a cough drop for me. Maybe one more shave and I’ll have finally killed this tub. Performance is good though.

I remember reading up on razors when I decided to start wetshaving. In the double edge category it seemed the top 2 ‘beginners’ razors we’re the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. I got the DE89 which I still don’t care for too much. Years later I picked this 30c up on clearance for $5. It is supposed to use the same geometry as the 34c. I don’t use it much, but it always seems to outperform the DE89 for me. I’d have to recommend the Merkur options over Edwin Jagger.

I can’t remember how many shaves are on this blade. Maybe one more.

Razorock Lime disappointed me. I’d swear they used rotten limes. It does good on the face so I keep it because the stank is fleeting.

Great shave. Great face feel. Reminding why I started daily shaving Eve though I’ve become a lazy renegade since moving to day a little more than a year ago.

I’m gonna have to do this one again.

9-6-21 Shave

Stirling Uscented Sheep soap
Stirling collapsible paddle bowl
WCS tall dark synthetic brush
Some new curvy strops I’m trying
Rasoir Sabre - Gustave Lalune Mon Fire Destrier 6/8
Big Ole Bottle of the worlds most glorious stank - Brut

View attachment 59933

Stirling Sheep mutton tallow is the top performer of my experiences, except for the smell. Unscented means no added fragrance. I’ll get Scots Pine Sheep next time.

Good brush, I like it.

I’m told these collapsible bowls are designed to keep Fido from quaffing his food too fast. Nothing I have sloshes up the suds quite as easy for me.

Newly shaped balsa strops. Large radius is charged with 0.10 micron cBN emulsion. Very curvy short radius is with nice soft inexpensive Herald calf hide mounted. So far so good.

The shaver, name interpreted as My Proud Steed, is an interesting piece. Only a few dozen like it made it to the US. I’m told it was a decades old forging of 52100 steel from a time when the popular method used multiple strikes at lower pressures in a drop forge die set. I’m not a metallurgist, but understand this imparts great strength and flexibility, but is more prone to yield less than perfect results that need some workarounds later. The guy who grinds these uses reclaimed equipment maybe 100 years old. He is known to get them very thin, as I can confirm. It is my top performer. I bought a second one, but the forging is more modern, likely using a higher pressure low strike count. It shaves good too.

Great shave.

Finished up with Brut. Being originally from Baltimore, I have every right to hate Joe Namath and not use the stuff…ever! But time heals those deep wounds and Brut really does rock the house.

I made my first vid for the great gang here, I’ll get it formatted and up as soon as I can.

Have a great week all.
B.
I have Stoylin Sheep, Bill....very nice one.

Back