The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

SOTD 9-21-21

Suds & AS Stirling Sandpiper
Stirling Badger brush
Böker 6/8 Extra Hollow, Mother of Pearl tang.

View attachment 61511

All day long I was admiring how great my skin felt after trying part of @BarberDave ‘s signature move for final neck cleanup. I continued and expanded today. Just to show what a shameless thief I am of techniques that I like, I am registering the move “Bill’s Buffing and Backblading”©️.

I had some concern that such a move could have a tendency to roll the edge a little. Having done my preshave “Hanging Packing Peanut Test”©️, I knew that my edge was pristine at the start. Sure enough after the shave, the effortless push cut was missing. It was restored easily enough by a little strop work.

I’ll be working more with this technique. It is really nice.

Oh, the razor. I looked at this one a long time because I have a vintage piece with the MoP tang cladding I like. It has some etching on the spine an is scaled in Bog Oak. It has a very thin grind that I like. I took delivery with a factory edge, which was shavable, but I wanted it refined more. Before honing, I marked the edge with a sharpie. My initial hone contact was on the edge indicating that Böker would be using a smaller curvature on their stones than I am. Quite a nice shaver.
How do you like Sandpiper, Bill?

Home again shave 9/26/21

Workoff soap
Stirling Badger brush
Essence by Tedalus Razor
Feather ProGuard (7)
Stirling Bergamot Lavender splash on

View attachment 62250

Last Friday I was feeling symptoms similar to my heart attack of almost 7 years ago. I was able to get relief and comfort enough to get a good nights rest.

Feeling fine Saturday morning, I went about morning meal and coffee and honed up a couple of razors, one of which I planned to shave with after showering. It was during my shower I began to realize that I’d be making a trip to the hospital. My aspirin and nitros didn’t seem to be providing the relief I wanted. Having known a number of folks that went through similar experiences, I feared they would need to be making luxury sedan payments this month and I would be the perfect candidate to crack open for the plumbing overhaul and cash infusion.

Things didn’t move too fast this time and it took about 6 hours to get me in an urgent care suite. Last time I was categorized as having a ‘massive heart attack’ in which they had me stented up in about 4 hours. Even though the pains I was experiencing were greater this time, tests were not showing the same urgency. They stabilized me and got me into a room to get pumped up on blood thinners. An angiogram was scheduled for Monday morning by the very same Doctor who likely prolonged my life from my earlier episode.

This time he classified me as having a mild heart attack, found my existing stents to still be open and my heat muscles strong. The problem laid in minor arteries unable to be stented and not significant enough to get him the luxury sedan payment due by month’s end. He elected to treat me with more handfuls of pills and allow me to go home that day and return to work in a week.

I know some here were aware of my situation and wished me a speedy recovery. There are also those of the mindset that prayer is a noble gentlemanly endeavor. I am grateful for all, many who I’ve only begun to get to know.

At the earliest permitted time I jumped into the shower for some grunge relief and a much needed shave.

Since I had been jacked up on a couple of quarts of blood thinners I bagged the straight and went for the ProGuarded Shavette. My work will cover me for the medical issue, but I don’t think they allow time off for bleeding out from shave cuts.

It was a delightful shave and I’m taking things easy this week and feeling much better. Coffee at home this morning was fantastic. Man, do I smell good…..now.

Thanks again my friends.
Bill
What an ordeal, Bill....glad you're better.

2/12/22
Chavette Chodown
Personna DE blade
1/2 in Essence by Tedalus
1/2 in Focus R21 Evolution
MWF
Synth brush
Red Capped Witch Hazel
Stirling Tsuka EdT

46EEFF73-844F-4A61-B10A-2E4B946F6A00.jpeg

Great shave with a couple of my favorite razors. Fancy and plain, both shave well.

For your video entertainment
It is the Shay-Vette Showdown not Fri 13

Last edited:
2/12/22
Chavette Chodown
Personna DE blade
1/2 in Essence by Tedalus
1/2 in Focus R21 Evolution
MWF
Synth brush
Red Capped Witch Hazel
Stirling Tsuka EdT

View attachment 75692

Great shave with a couple of my favorite razors. Fancy and plain, both shave well.

For your video entertainment
It is the Shay-Vette Showdown not Fri 13
You're moving right along wih that Stoylin Tsuka.

SOTD 12/15/22

Derby soap
Vintage John Jay 6/8
Convex Roo strop
Omega 10098 boar
Razorock Unlabeled II

3381BABF-0A3C-4500-840E-9B3C1A7AA30E.jpeg

I got this shave piece at an antique store for $17. The Mother of Pearl cladding on the shank and tang caught my attention fast. It was in the original coffin (with the end busted) and appeared to have never been honed or used but was covered with the effects of its age. I cleaned it up as best I could and honed away any pitting on the edge. Very thinly ground and a delightful shaver.

Most of my stuff is modern mfg. This is one of three vintage pieces I have. Did I ever say that I know a guy with 1355 razors? And yes, he knows exactly how many he has. 😎

I don’t use Derby stick soap much. I do consider it one of those little used economic options for the unwashed masses here in Murica. I always hated canned gell but never realized stuff like this existed cause you never saw it on commercials or at the grocery store. I hope the Turks don’t cave in to the latest tallow cancellation trend. Makes me wonder if the militant vegamaniacs realize that rendered beef fat is a non wasteful use of an animal byproduct. Nope, people are not going to stop eating hamburgers.

Here is the write up on the stank. I like it and should order some of the EdT. I hope it goes permanent in the Razorock lineup.

Top notes: Floral Aldehydes, Green Notes, Honeysuckle, Star Anise, Bergamot, Lemon and Peach;

Middle notes: Geranium, Rose, Jasmine and Gardenia;

Base notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Lilac, Sandalwood and Amber.

Man does that have the kitchen sink, or what? I hope they kept the recipe and it wasn’t just a work-off project.

Enjoy your week gents.

For your viewing enjoyment.
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 2/19/22 Straight Up

Proraso Green PreShave
Stirling Suds and Stank, Executive Man style
Stirling High Mountain Badger
Symmetrical Pottery steampunk bowl
ThIers Issard Oakwing 7/8
Proraso Aftershave Balm
Unscented talc and the New Talc Cannon

2454B3BC-EAF8-4B20-A231-DB27F833CE5F.jpeg

Great shave with great gear, except for the blood.
🙃

@Luecke3262 The debute of The Talc Cannon. I really should practice with new stuff before making vids.

For your viewing enjoyment
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 2/22/22

Proraso preshave
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Simpsons Emperor 3
Essence by Tedalus
Schick Proline (?)
Stirling Orange Chill Switch Hazel
Stirling Citron AS splash
Yardley Gold talc, artfully talc cannoned

7701633D-0A20-4B7B-86E3-983010F8BFC7.jpeg

It was a good day for The Fat.

Went with Simpsons super badger today. Not bad, but I think I prefer a synthetic for this soap.

My Essence razor has been suffering from severe neglect syndrome after I have been displaced by younger men for the title of #1 Essence Razor Fanboy. I almost want with the DX, but figured I should at least make a showing as Essence Razor Fanboy Emeritus before I get totally kicked to the curb.

I’m guessing I may have somewhere around 5 shaves on this blade. The results were great but not found was the ease and delight of ‘fresh steel’. I really should go back and do more intense blade tests with this tool like I did with the DX, but I think I’d find myself in the same position liking ProGuards and Supers most even though I have a pack of Kai PINK from a recent shopping excursion.

Alum was a little more active today due to operator slop and worn steel.

Not shown is the Stirling Orange Chill Switch Hazel whose menthol add is nice for me. Pared up with Stirling Citron leaves a nice aroma.

I now know that I’m supposed to be using the Powder Artillery to hit the brush but aiming directly at an ugly mug is so much more fun. I really like Yardley Gold.

Great shave.

(1) Fantastic shave - you can never go wrong with a finish of citrus!
(2) Being Emeritus is a great position to be in - all the perks without the daily grind of ruling the kingdom.
(3) Powder Cannon for the win!

2/24/22
TSC 2022 ShaveCon training

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry Soap
Stirling Tuxedo brush
Razorock Hawk V3a
Feather ProGuard (1)
Stirling AS splash & EdT Bergamot Lavender flavored
Talc Cannon for the win

10E43777-1837-432E-8292-7FA6B3B899A2.jpeg

Great and delightful shave with thoughts on gear I’ll take with me for the meetup with those shave nuts in Vegas

The soap had gotten seedy but doesn’t seem to be bothered with me trying to lay it to rest.

Bergamot Lavender for bedtime

Talc Cannon demo and doing the shirt right.

Y’all have a great slide into the weekend

Oh, and made a vid
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

Back