The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

May 2023 Grand Sumo Tournament Contest and Discussion

Just watched the match between
Myogiryu and Yorikiri. That was a damn marathon. Are matches going longer these days?
There have been a few longer matches for sure this basho. There was a 4 minute 30 second Dewanojo (heaviest wrestler 500+ lbs) match in the lower divisions on day two or three.

Akua figures if he can't make Maegashira he'll get fans by throwing crazy amounts of salt. Me personally I approve!

Sumo roundtable

Top judge: someone said sumo is getting a big international following and fans want a way to watch in English daily. Or at minimum the daily matches.
NHK: they also like salt throwing.
Top Judge: Akua can throw salt now.

Juryo is shaping up to have a great weekend.

And the upper division is providing fantastic bouts.

Arguably one of the better bashos in awhile. A strong Yokozuna, and the sanyaku wrestlers pretty much carrying winning records. Great sumo.

Found an error in my spreadsheet for how I was calculating the best pics. It's fixed now, so the best picks number just jumped up a bit (In case anyone even noticed).

Results from the weekend, and today (Day 9)

1684758447562.png 1684759461505.png 1684760864924.png

That sucks. I see he only has day 6 up right now. I didn't realize he was deleting them.

Dang hope you're doing better. Should have lots of time to catch up on Sumo though, right?

You can watch the top division here. I don't think they post videos for Juryo. But also, they are a day behind on their videos, so you can only watch Day 1-5 there right now.
I’m also watching Sumo Jason’s channel

I’m also watching Sumo Jason’s channel
Jason does good commentary, but he only posts a few matches. I'd rather watch the whole thing all at once.

I'm waiting to see what Leo Dickinson does when he returns. I think he's taking this Basho off to see what NHK does to the videos this time. I believe he offers the best and most informative commentary. But what some people don't like about his feed is that it's recorded live, so it's not edited down for time.

Jason does good commentary, but he only posts a few matches. I'd rather watch the whole thing all at once.

I'm waiting to see what Leo Dickinson does when he returns. I think he's taking this Basho off to see what NHK does to the videos this time. I believe he offers the best and most informative commentary. But what some people don't like about his feed is that it's recorded live, so it's not edited down for time.
Natto has all the days still up on Rumble NattoSumo

Jason relies on getting back to his home in time to react to the matches live on TV. Maybe he should get a DVR?

Jason relies on getting back to his home in time to react to the matches live on TV. Maybe he should get a DVR?
Most definitely! I'm surprised he hasn't done so. Though, things could be different in those regards in Japan.

Thought you all might be interested in seeing this part of my tracking sheet, to see how your picks are stacking up against the others. The rikishi names being colored just indicates that multiple people picked that wrestler. A different color for each different "pair" within each rank category. White means that rikishi was only picked by a single person. Dark green on the points means that that rikishi has (or is tied for) the highest points in that rank category.

1684770208011.png

I can include this in my daily update too, if it is something you want to see.

The clip is set to start at the beginning of the Yuma V Kawazoe match.

DANG, ruthless Karate Kid-style leg sweep on an already injured opponent! WHEW!

That's SUMO, only the toughest survive!

When Jason was using NHK footage it was from his DVR. Now that he is doing Abema, that is a web app so he can't DVR it.

Akua can't seem to keep from doing flips off the dohio the last few days. I'm amazed he isn't out with a severe concussion yet.

Back