The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

May 2023 Grand Sumo Tournament Contest and Discussion

Thursday and Sunday I could probably make. Wednesday my daughter has drum lessons.

Here are final picks.

TSC UsernameYokozuna, Ozeki, KomusbiSekiwakeM1 to M4M5 to M8M9 to M12M13 to M17J1 to J5J6 to J10J11 to J14
Majorrich TerunofujiWakamotoharuNishikigiKinbozanRyudenAsanoyamaAzumaryuAtamifujiHidenoumi
UacowboyKotonowakaKiribayamaTobizaruKotoshohoRyudenAsanoyamaTohakuryuOchiaiTomokaze
BarberDaveTakakeishoDaieshoUraTakanoshoAoiyamaIchiyamamotoEnhoChiyomaruTamashoho
CVargoTerunofujiDaieshoNishikifujiKotoshohoTakarafujiAsanoyamaGonoyamaOchiaiFujiseiun
Luecke3262TerunofujiKiribayamaNishikifujiKinbozanHokuseihoAsanoyamaGonoyamaOchiaiTokihayate
SpiderTerunofujiHoshoryuTakayasuKinbozanOnoshoAsanoyamaGonoyamaOchiaiChiyosake
FensterTerunofujiHoshoryuAbiMitakeumiHiradoumiIchiyamamotoShonannoumiAtamifujiTomokaze

From Day 2:

-Gonoyama will definitely be with the Makuuchi very soon! Great win over Kagayaki
-WOW, the Aioyama blast-out nearly happened, but he recovered well! Surprising win!
-Strong fight from Ryuden and Hiradoumi, they both wanted it bad, but Ryuden wore him out.
-Old man Tamawashi pulled out a win from a near-certain loss. How long can this guy go before he misses a match??
-Hokutofuji, and some BRILLIANT footwork to stay in, but the rematch! Easily the best match of the day. Mita looked like an ozeki in this match, what a fight he put on!
-Kinbozan looked pretty sloppy today and I think he got lucky at the end.
-Shodai and Nishikifuji for the second Torinaoshi of the day!!! Shodai showing some FIRE! I just don't think he could handle the pressure at the top! He's really after it.
-FUTURE OZEKI KIRIBAYAMA easily forces out Endo with almost no power to be seen.
-Wakamotoharu's, raw power, took out the flying monkey with little effort..
-I feel Diaeisho is out to win the Yusho with two solid early matches. Hate to see Ura loose, but...
-Midorifuji with a slow start, but a great fight with Hoshoryu
-Praying for Takakeisho, he just needs 8, but I'm worried for him for sure. Tough loss to Kotonowaka. If he doesn't win in the first 5 seconds, he gets winded and has a hard time there after. His pushing power just wasn't there today.
-Terunofuji, the YOKOZUNA came to play today, but poor Abi went down way too easy, wonder if he strained something?

Great day today!

Look for a Sumo Watch Party Thread for This Sunday the 21st at 6:30pm CT.

Best wishes brothers

From Day 2:

-Gonoyama will definitely be with the Makuuchi very soon! Great win over Kagayaki
-WOW, the Aioyama blast-out nearly happened, but he recovered well! Surprising win!
-Strong fight from Ryuden and Hiradoumi, they both wanted it bad, but Ryuden wore him out.
-Old man Tamawashi pulled out a win from a near-certain loss. How long can this guy go before he misses a match??
-Hokutofuji, and some BRILLIANT footwork to stay in, but the rematch! Easily the best match of the day. Mita looked like an ozeki in this match, what a fight he put on!
-Kinbozan looked pretty sloppy today and I think he got lucky at the end.
-Shodai and Nishikifuji for the second Torinaoshi of the day!!! Shodai showing some FIRE! I just don't think he could handle the pressure at the top! He's really after it.
-FUTURE OZEKI KIRIBAYAMA easily forces out Endo with almost no power to be seen.
-Wakamotoharu's, raw power, took out the flying monkey with little effort..
-I feel Diaeisho is out to win the Yusho with two solid early matches. Hate to see Ura loose, but...
-Midorifuji with a slow start, but a great fight with Hoshoryu
-Praying for Takakeisho, he just needs 8, but I'm worried for him for sure. Tough loss to Kotonowaka. If he doesn't win in the first 5 seconds, he gets winded and has a hard time there after. His pushing power just wasn't there today.
-Terunofuji, the YOKOZUNA came to play today, but poor Abi went down way too easy, wonder if he strained something?

Great day today!

Look for a Sumo Watch Party Thread for This Sunday the 21st at 6:30pm CT.

Best wishes brothers

I think Abi just hit the wall that was Terunofuji and the wall didn't move so Abi's feet did instead.

The top guys in general are starting off pretty strong this Basho. has the makings of an excellent and exciting tournament.

You were wrong Chad. You said nobody picked Takayasu. Turns out I did. I thought I had, but I couldn't remember if it was here or somewhere else.
Oh crap!

I will allow you to make another selection. Just let me know. Or you can keep Takayasu. Rumor is he will return as he thinks he can get 8.

Here's the current standings after Day 2. Please double check if this is what you think you should have.
1684178043622.png
I will allow you to make another selection. Just let me know
Yes, Chad. Please change my pick to Tobizaru. He would have been my second pick anyway. And he hasn't won yet, so it doesn't affect any standings.

Here's the current standings after Day 2. Please double check if this is what you think you should have.
View attachment 111125

Yes, Chad. Please change my pick to Tobizaru. He would have been my second pick anyway. And he hasn't won yet, so it doesn't affect any standings.
I will make the change

@Luecke3262 how did I get added to this thread? Dude.....its the NHL PLAYOFFS!!!!!! I have enough on my plate at the moment. But thanks....maybe some other time.

Day 3
Juryo:

-Ochia got the win, but he looked really off today. The thrust attack of Chioynikuni pretty much stopped his weak initial charge, but it was overcome. Hoping this guy isn't hurt too badly.
-Tochinoshin, common buddy lets retire. This is tough to watch, very little resistance and no ability to sidestep attacks.
-Roga and Akua a great match, loads of TECHNIQUE by both men! Roga with the excellent dump at the end, like he'd done it 100 times before.
-Little Enho is having a tough time, 0-2 before this match and he was just run over... Bushozan for the win!
-Gonoyama knocked it out of the park with zero resistance from Azumaryu.

Makuuchi: Those Overhead shots of the dohyō-iri are really cool.

-Asanoyama V Muscle man Kotoeko, with Asanoyama narrowly pulling out a win that the crowd did not seem to fully support(not sure I did either).
-Hokusiho V Aioyama, low energy from both men, but Hokuseiho pulled it out.
-Diashoho completely outmuscled Takarafuji for the win.
- An even match between Onosho and Ryuden, but Ryuden pulled it out in the end.
-Brilliantly fought match by Hiradoumi, who was on the ropes several times from a powerful attack from Takanosho. Best match of the day so far!
- Tamawashi out muscled Mita, but Mita turned it around on him in the end for the force out. Mita is really looking good.
- Kinbozn and Meisei, with the youngster outmatched by the veteran. Loads of passes and pulls, excellent movement from both men!
-Our man Ura for the win over Kotoshoho with a brilliant sliding pull!
-Kotonowaka over Nishikifuji with a Shitatenage right off the bat!
- Hoshoryu is looking GREAT this tournament, but ol Tobizaru with the Hinka style side step-pull.
- 0-2 Abi struggling but beats our Ozeki chasing Kiribyama with a force down and good footwork.
- Wakamotoharu had his hands full with Shodai, but wow what a finish!!! 3-0 WAKA!!!
- Daieisho and Nishikigi, a heck of a recovery for Daieisho and a force out in the end, 3-0!
- Kadoban Takakeisho looked twice Midorifuji's size, but wow did he put up a fight and WOW Taka made it past 10 seconds!
- The Yokozuna 2-0 is looking amazing! Seems really strong and his moves! What a pro to go 3-0 over Endo.

-Tochinoshin, common buddy lets retire.
Right? Definitely on a downward spiral.
Asanoyama narrowly pulling out a win that the crowd did not seem to fully support(not sure I did either).
I don't agree with it either. Rewatched it several times.
Hoshoryu is looking GREAT this tournament, but ol Tobizaru with the Hinka style side step-pull.
Loved seeing Tobizaru win, but hate it when I have two picks face each other, lol.

Day 3
1684267019739.png

Day 3
Juryo:

-Ochia got the win, but he looked really off today. The thrust attack of Chioynikuni pretty much stopped his weak initial charge, but it was overcome. Hoping this guy isn't hurt too badly.
-Tochinoshin, common buddy lets retire. This is tough to watch, very little resistance and no ability to sidestep attacks.
-Roga and Akua a great match, loads of TECHNIQUE by both men! Roga with the excellent dump at the end, like he'd done it 100 times before.
-Little Enho is having a tough time, 0-2 before this match and he was just run over... Bushozan for the win!
-Gonoyama knocked it out of the park with zero resistance from Azumaryu.

Makuuchi: Those Overhead shots of the dohyō-iri are really cool.

-Asanoyama V Muscle man Kotoeko, with Asanoyama narrowly pulling out a win that the crowd did not seem to fully support(not sure I did either).
-Hokusiho V Aioyama, low energy from both men, but Hokuseiho pulled it out.
-Diashoho completely outmuscled Takarafuji for the win.
- An even match between Onosho and Ryuden, but Ryuden pulled it out in the end.
-Brilliantly fought match by Hiradoumi, who was on the ropes several times from a powerful attack from Takanosho. Best match of the day so far!
- Tamawashi out muscled Mita, but Mita turned it around on him in the end for the force out. Mita is really looking good.
- Kinbozn and Meisei, with the youngster outmatched by the veteran. Loads of passes and pulls, excellent movement from both men!
-Our man Ura for the win over Kotoshoho with a brilliant sliding pull!
-Kotonowaka over Nishikifuji with a Shitatenage right off the bat!
- Hoshoryu is looking GREAT this tournament, but ol Tobizaru with the Hinka style side step-pull.
- 0-2 Abi struggling but beats our Ozeki chasing Kiribyama with a force down and good footwork.
- Wakamotoharu had his hands full with Shodai, but wow what a finish!!! 3-0 WAKA!!!
- Daieisho and Nishikigi, a heck of a recovery for Daieisho and a force out in the end, 3-0!
- Kadoban Takakeisho looked twice Midorifuji's size, but wow did he put up a fight and WOW Taka made it past 10 seconds!
- The Yokozuna 2-0 is looking amazing! Seems really strong and his moves! What a pro to go 3-0 over Endo.

Yeah, the Asanoyama match really should have been a Torinaoshi. way to close to call from the angles i saw.

As for Terunofuji, he's handling these early matches as he should, but i'm waiting to see how he does against some more challenging matchups.

Back