The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

6 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

In a Sting mood this morning and wanted to feature a couple of videos from his film Bring On The Night which was a documentary about the build up to and the supporting tour's first live show in Paris for his first solo album, The Dream Of The Blue Turtles. Ironically, the two cuts featured here were re-worked versions of songs done by The Police. If you're not familiar with the album, Sting went and got some of the biggest names in Jazz to work on it with him. I picked these two because of Branford Marsalis's sax solo in "Driven to Tears" and Omar Hakim's drum solo in "I Burn For You". When he gets in the zone, Omar is SCARY when he plays!

For today's shave I went with a couple of "old school" selections. According to the Barrister and Mann website, "Cologne Russe" is:
Based on one of the oldest forms of perfume, Cologne Russe is a throwback to a scent created by the House of Guerlain for the Russian royal family
I did some research and it seems there were actually two versions of this cologne; namely "Eau de Cologne Imperiale Russe" and "Eau de Cologne Russe" created in 1840 & 1850 respectively. The former was made solely for the Russian aristocracy and the latter for courtiers and citizens. So I wonder which one the soaps based on. The "blue blood" version or the "hoi pollloi" version? :unsure:

Finished with a splash of 4711 with a dab of 444 gel mixed in. 4711's pedigree is well established, having existed (in various forms) since 1799. "Old school" indeed!

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Barrister and Mann "Cologne Russe" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. "Kong"
PAA DOC Razor / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / 444 + 4711 EdC

IMG-4122.jpg

Dude! Sting is da man and I didn't know about this. Quickly looked for that movie but it's not on Netflix or Amazon. I'll have to search it up when I get home. I heard Sting in person once and was super disappointed. It was a nice small vue and the sound/system SUCKED! What a unique voice and individual though.

Got word that my co-worker's COVID-19 test came back negative.

giphy.gif

Great shave n jams this morning Mark! Sting is classic...I may like his time with the Police than his solo work just a bit more though.

Glad the test came back negative!

7 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

It's finally Friday! Thought I'd round out the week with a something special here at WMRK Internet Radio.. Jeff Beck is a guy who needs no introduction. He is, without a doubt, one of the greatest... Period! With a live performance of a song from his 1975 album Blow By Blow, Here's Jeff Beck with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and the incredible Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. This is "Cause We've Ended As Lovers".

Went with a Brut themed shave today for "Old School August". I think I may have gotten an older tub when I ordered the "ET TU" soap. The scent is there but barely.. Normally with Phoenix Shaving soaps the scent really pops. Not this time. Great soap though! Love the CK-6 base.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "ET TU" Shave Soap / PAA "Chill Mill" / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush
Gillette 1961 Fat Boy / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Brut Aftershave Balm

IMG-4132.jpg

10 August, 2020

Jeez! What a way to start a week!

Walked in to a sh*t-storm here at the office this morning. Phones are ringing off the hook! Every business and bank is calling wanting to know why none of their out of state calls are completing. Many phone calls and 3½ later we find that road construction has severed a major fiber cable at our long distance tandem in Birmingham AL. No idea how long it will take them to repair it.

tenor.gif

Apologies for the dead air this morning..

Also no shave today or for the next week possibly. I have oily skin and picked up a new facial cleanser. This stuff was like acid! I've never had a chemical peel but I feel it would be very much like this. The skin on my cheeks and parts of my forehead feel like they're scabbed over. Stinging, bumps, red skin... It's terrible.. 😫

On the good side, my COVID-19 test came back negative.. I was having some bad sinus issues and called my doc up. Said it sounded like a sinus infection to him but since I'm diabetic (high risk) he wanted to do a test.

Also no shave today or for the next week possibly. I have oily skin and picked up a new facial cleanser. This stuff was like acid! I've never had a chemical peel but I feel it would be very much like this. The skin on my cheeks and parts of my forehead feel like they're scabbed over. Stinging, bumps, red skin... It's terrible.. 😫
Dude, tile cleaner =/= facial cleanser

Although, I suppose the top layer of skin is the only one that could be dirty...

Back