The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

18 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

Getting right into today's "Morning Music" segment, I realized that with the body of work Anthony Jackson has, I can't just limit him to one day. That would be like looking at one small part of a Monet or Van Gogh masterpiece. So I've decided to use this entire week to feature music featuring his genius. First, here's a video about him. Take the time and watch it because it's eye-opening.

Today I'd like to feature a few tracks from Chaka Khan's Soul / R&B masterpieces, Naughty and What Cha Gonna Do for Me. Naughty in particular is, I feel, a MUST have for any music lover. Anthony puts on a bass clinic on these albums.

Hope you enjoy!

Went with "Old School" Old Spice for today's shave. Having been around since 1937, it can definitely be classified as "Old School". Decided to go with the Barrister's Reserve version. One of my favorites!

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Aftershave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice" EdT

IMG-4167.jpg

Actually it just struck me that I don't remember seeing a SOTD pic in this place where the soap and AS didn't match. Not a bad thing at all, but it would limit how many soaps I buy I think. Plus I'd need to learn to pair scents with AS. Usually went I use a matching AS there isn't a scent to follow.

Nice old school shave Mark! How does B&M’s Spice match up to the real deal in your opinion (specifically the AS)?
You know, I've never tried actual "original" Shulton era fare so I can't really comment on that. Compared to the current P&G version however, this one is more "spice" less powder. Same with the splash.

19 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

Moving along with a "Morning Music" spotlight on the musical genius of Anthony Jackson. Today let's move back to the Jazz/Fusion side of things with some songs from Anthony's tenure with Al Di Meola and Lee Ritenour.

Hope you enjoy!

Went with a (loose) "Old School" Acqua Di Parma Colonia shave today. According to their website, AdP has been in business since 1916 and has been one of my favorite scents for years.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / RazoRock "Gold Label" (AdP) Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 "Noir"
PAA DOC / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave / Acqua Di Parma Colonia EdC

IMG-4175.jpg

On a couple of tracks of DiMeola's Splendido Motel lp there is an upright bassist named Tim Landers, with whom I went to high school. In fact, we both wanted to date the same girl, and competed for her attention. She chose neither of us, and went out went someone else. 😞
Yikes! That's some hard cheese! 💔

On the flip side, I'm a big fan of Tim and his playing. Loved his work with both Billy Cobham & Vital Information. Some very tasty fretless work here!

Yikes! That's some hard cheese! 💔

On the flip side, I'm a big fan of Tim and his playing. Loved his work with both Billy Cobham & Vital Information. Some very tasty fretless work here!

Thanks for digging that out, Mark. Tim certainly got around after the Berklee School of Music. He also worked with Tracy Chapman. Last I'd heard, he was still working out of LA.

Back