The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

MarkB

“TSC’s Happy Hogan”
Veteran
Thought I'd start myself one of these as well! Not going to be solely for documenting shaves however... I plan to talk about many things in addition to shaving including by affinity for music and musical instruments (primarily bass guitars), coffee, smoking & grilling, weapons & shooting and whatever else may interest me. Hope you'll pop in from time to time and take part! :coffee:🙂

Today I began what will be the first week of "brand specific" shaves. Week 1 will be dedicated to RazoRock products.. I first learned about RazoRock over at that "other" shaving forum and was very impressed with what I've used so far.

RazoWeek Day 1

IMG-2510.jpg

PAA "The Cube 2.0"
RazoRock "Acqua" Shaving Cream Soap (Super Tallow Formula)
Stirling Soap Co. "High Mountain White" Badger Brush
Merkur 39C
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum
RazoRock "Acqua" After Shave Splash

YSL L'Homme EdT

Welcome! Don't worry about staying on the topic of shaving, most of my entries are me complaining about work and how I'm starting to suck at shaving.

I'm looking forward to reading about music. There are a couple musicians amongst us. I played bass in a band at one point of my life, but I haven't touched one in about 9 years, I occasionally pick up one of my guitars and pretend to know how to play. 🤣

What gear are you playing on right now?

Welcome to the journals! I'm also curious about your preferred gear, both musical and shaving. I played guitar for quite a while, though my(at once time decent) collection has been pared down to an Epihpone Strat knock-off that I have dubbed "Firewood", and I barely pick it up anymore.

Welcome to the Journals! Percussionist and keyboards here. I’ve been trying to teach myself to play guitar for 15 years with no success. I have a cheap Bass that is the first 4 strings to learn. Perhaps a “gateway instrument”?

Glad to have you in the journals! Most of us talk a little about shaving in our journals. But mostly we talk about whatever we fancy! This week I am talking about how my dog is ruining me financially! 🤪

Welcome to the journals! I'm also curious about your preferred gear, both musical and shaving. I played guitar for quite a while, though my(at once time decent) collection has been pared down to an Epihpone Strat knock-off that I have dubbed "Firewood", and I barely pick it up anymore.
Welcome to the Journals! Percussionist and keyboards here. I’ve been trying to teach myself to play guitar for 15 years with no success. I have a cheap Bass that is the first 4 strings to learn. Perhaps a “gateway instrument”?
Basses? What about basses?

Welcome to the journals!
Hey guys I've been playing bass for over 35 years. I've played a lot of different brands through the years but for the past five years I've only used basses made by a one-man shop based out of Staten Island, New York. Anthony "Nino" Valenti is the owner of Valenti Basses and has been building for around 13 years. Before starting his own business he work at Sadowsky Guitars and learned from Roger Sadowsky himself. He builds excellent Fender-style basses. Now someone might ask "Why not just play a Fender? Why pay extra for something that's essentially a copy of a proven design?"

My reasons are better quality and options. Fender makes a great bass but making that many instruments per year, QC is undoubtedly going to suffer. My Valenti basses are all incredibly well made, fit form and finish are top-notch, the frets are dressed and crowned perfectly. I can also specify what brand hardware I want, what brand pickups, option of scale length ( I prefer a 35" scale since I play only 5 string basses). Plus he's a great guy to deal with.

The first bass I commissioned from Anthony was a 5 string version of a 57-style Fender Precision. Swamp Ash body and maple fretboard. Custom Tele-style bass pickup made by Nordstrand Audio and Hipshot A style bridge.

10616330_551290501639709_3920268701549491232_n.jpg

A few years later I commissioned a second, Jazz-style bass. This one also had the swamp ash / maple body wood combo but I went with a birds-eye maple fretboard and active Aguilar Amplification electronics.

2.jpg

For my next bass I wanted a straight-up passive bass with 60's era wound pickups. For this bass I went with an alder body / rosewood fretboard combo and a classic 60's Fender era "Sonic Blue" finish.

DSC02070.JPG

The forth basses was an unintentional purchase. A few years ago, Anthony debuted a lower priced "budget" line of instruments that kept the same quality but cut costs by limiting options. I was curious and had been corresponding with him about the new line and he offered me a screaming deal on one he had already scheduled to build (I think the original customer backed out of buying it). So, I scooped up a fourth! This one also has alder/rosewood body woods "soapbar" style single coil pickups and active electronics but when bypassed there's also a vintage style tone control knob. It also helped that it was also finished in 60's Fender style "Shell Pink".

IMG-2199a.jpg

Currently I don't have any plans for more basses but "never say never". Right?? ;)

SOTD - "RazoWeek Day 2"

Any time I see those magic words; "Acqua Di Parma Colonia", I begin to salivate! "xXx" from RazoRock is a very good representation of ADP. I also have "Piacenza" from Stirling Soap Co. which is also inspired by ADP but IMO the RR version (though more subtle) is more true to the original ADP scent.

IMG-2513.jpg

RazoRock Pre-shave Soap Charcoal Lime
RazoRock "xXx" Shave Soap
Stirling HMW Badger Brush
Merkur 39C
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum
RazoRock "xXx" Splash

Acqua Di Parma Colonia EdC

You're making me want to go out and buy a bass 🤣 I had a bass in high school, but a friend lent it to a friend, lent it to a friend, lent it to a friend, and haven't seen it since.

Back